eGPU experiences [version 2.0]

Tech Inferno Fan

Hi guys, so recently i tried to join Laptop gaming as well buy buying EXP GDC dock. Installation worked well although i had to flash unlocked bios to disable Nvidia card which was in laptop. My setup is Acer V3-571G with i5-3230m, 6gigs of ram. EXP GDC and 350w PSU. For GPU i am using Nvidi GTX 750 OC edition from Gigabyte.

So i had installed driver and restarted computer and launched Tomb Raider to test the performance. It ran un Ultimate settings. Yay! AND THEN BAMS. Screen goes black and then normal again and it shows that Nvidia driver stopped responding, crashed and has recovered. I thought oh well, i red that it happens sometimes and carried on. Nope, after like 3-10 minutes it happened again, sometimes it happens even after 2 minutes. Sometimes after 15. What i've tried so far:

-manipulation with switches on EXP GDC. Didnt help.

-installation of older drivers. Didnt help

-using windows 8 instead of 7. Didnt help

-various settings in nvidia control panel. Didnt help.

So has anyone met this problem or i have a faulty EXP GDC adapter? I thought that may be my PSU could not handle GPU in games but i dont think thats the case because these crashes happen even when not playing games. Writing this it happened 3 times already. I noticed that CPU usage skyrockets when crash happens (MSI Afterburner). And no i didnt overclock the hard, i even tried to downclock it. Could PSU cause this? It's kinda old but i think it still should be enough for 750. If necessary i can provide PSU's stats.

I would appreciate any help as GTA V is gonna be release in the next few days. :D

Hi guys, so recently i tried to join Laptop gaming as well buy buying EXP GDC dock. Installation worked well although i had to flash unlocked bios to disable Nvidia card which was in laptop. My setup is Acer V3-571G with i5-3230m, 6gigs of ram. EXP GDC and 350w PSU. For GPU i am using Nvidi GTX 750 OC edition from Gigabyte.

So i had installed driver and restarted computer and launched Tomb Raider to test the performance. It ran un Ultimate settings. Yay! AND THEN BAMS. Screen goes black and then normal again and it shows that Nvidia driver stopped responding, crashed and has recovered. I thought oh well, i red that it happens sometimes and carried on. Nope, after like 3-10 minutes it happened again, sometimes it happens even after 2 minutes. Sometimes after 15. What i've tried so far:

So has anyone met this problem or i have a faulty EXP GDC adapter? I thought that may be my PSU could not handle GPU in games but i dont think thats the case because these crashes happen even when not playing games. Writing this it happened 3 times already. I noticed that CPU usage skyrockets when crash happens (MSI Afterburner). And no i didnt overclock the hard, i even tried to downclock it. Could PSU cause this? It's kinda old but i think it still should be enough for 750. If necessary i can provide PSU's stats.

I would appreciate any help as GTA V is gonna be release in the next few days. :D

Your eGPU adapter configuration isn't fully Gen2 compliant resulting in PCIe link retransmissions which eventually fail with the NVidia error you have.

Two solutions to consider: (1) can try other eGPU adapters like PE4L 2.1b with soldered ends giving better signal integrity (2) use Setup 1.30 with your existing eGPU adapter to downgrade your mPCIe link to Gen1 speed where you'll no longer : http://forum.techinferno.com/diy-e-gpu-projects/2123-diy-egpu-setup-1-30-a.html#post27337

Your eGPU adapter configuration isn't fully Gen2 compliant resulting in PCIe link retransmissions which eventually fail with the NVidia error you have.

Two solutions to consider: (1) can try other eGPU adapters like PE4L 2.1b with soldered ends giving better signal integrity (2) use Setup 1.30 with your existing eGPU adapter to downgrade your mPCIe link to Gen1 speed where you'll no longer : http://forum.techinferno.com/diy-e-gpu-projects/2123-diy-egpu-setup-1-30-a.html#post27337

@Tech Inferno Fan What exaclty do i have to downgrade? Could you explain more about dowgrading to Gen1 speed? I have some PCI related options in Bios. I am half broke student so i'd like to try everything as spending more money on this stuff is almost not an option.

I have options in bios to change PCI gen, would these work?

post-34836-14494999761212_thumb.jpg

I have options in bios to change PCI gen, would these work?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]14556[/ATTACH]

Those options change the Northbridge PCIe slot that hosts the dGPU to Gen1, Gen2 or Gen3. They have no effect on your expresscard slot attached to the Southbridge. Your options are then as outlined in my last post.

I installed win 8.1 and finally got my GTX 670 to work with just DSDT override!:)

I have got some reasonable benchmark results with considerable improvement over GT 650M but somehow the performance in game is actually worth...

Games that I have tried: Minecraft, Thief, Final Fantasy XIII. I haven't installed any other games in this new system, but I think its enough to show that I have the problem of eGPU giving worth performance than dGPU despite better benchmark scores.

System and games run stably with eGPU on Gen2. I can even switch between dGPU Optimus and eGPU Optimus by enable and disable corresponding PCI Express Root Ports without reboot.

I really have no ides why this happened. Could someone give me a hint?

(P.S. I am using the internal display, but I don't think that can explain GTX 670 performance worth then GT 650M in game, giving the better benchmark results. I don't have an external display with me right now, I can only test it with an external display when I get back to my place next month.)

Thanks in advance!

3Dmark06 19954

3Dmark11 Graphics Score 7092

RE5 93.3

(All settings as suggested in Implementations Hub: TB, EC, mPCIe)

My system:

Dell Inspiron 17R 7720

i7-3610QM

16GB RAM

GT 650M

GTX 670

PE4C V2.1 mPCIe Gen2 x1 (SW2 on 2)

Windows 8.1 x64 UEFI GPT (DSDT override)

post-34690-14494999761438_thumb.gif

post-34690-14494999761638_thumb.jpg

I have got some reasonable benchmark results with considerable improvement over GT 650M but somehow the performance in game is actually worth...

Games that I have tried: Minecraft, Thief, Final Fantasy XIII. I haven't installed any other games in this new system, but I think its enough to show that I have the problem of eGPU giving worth performance than dGPU despite better benchmark scores.

System and games run stably with eGPU on Gen2.

Your are sending internal LCD traffic back across that narrow x1 2.0 link, bogging down your performance. The solution is to get that external LCD you mention and test again. Can see an example of the performance difference b/w internal LCD versus external LCD performance at http://forum.techinferno.com/implementation-guides/2747-12-dell-e6230-hd7870-gtx660%40x4gbps-c-ec2-pe4l-2-1b-win7-%5BTech Inferno Fan%5D.html#post37197 . That was only at 1366x768. HD+ or FHD internal LCD mode will see a noticably bigger drop in performance yet again.

Here I am sharing about lenovo T420. in 2-3 days ago I updated to GTX 750 ti, I thought this card will be very power because it is up to so far. But my experience with this card is not good,ersion of

I tested many hours with several version6 of windows like win 8, 8.1 and win7... alltime 3dmark06 and 11 benchmark is 14000-15000 and 3999-4100, this is very awful, very frustrating because i was very nice result with GTX 560, it was about 2yr old card.

I tried setup 1.3 , but nando suggest me that it is not necessary for this PC because my TOLUD is 3.5 and as I never get error12, it is completely ok for eGPU setup. But he got some confussion about my large16GB memory, May be it is causes for performance deduction, Any way I am happy for getting workable eGPU setup but not enjoying stuttering in game like Fifa 15 and so....

post-6093-1449499976213_thumb.gif

I am switched to Win 8.1 with the suggestion of nando. that OS give me highest benchmark both 3dmark06 and 11 14620 and 4128...

my system is T420,

16GB ram,

GTX 750 ti

PE4L 2.1b EXPRESS CARD

Sorry for very bad english

pcidmpw egpu attached.txt

Your are sending internal LCD traffic back across that narrow x1 2.0 link, bogging down your performance. The solution is to get that external LCD you mention and test again. Can see an example of the performance difference b/w internal LCD versus external LCD performance at http://forum.techinferno.com/implementation-guides/2747-12-dell-e6230-hd7870-gtx660%40x4gbps-c-ec2-pe4l-2-1b-win7-%5BTech Inferno Fan%5D.html#post37197 . That was only at 1366x768. HD+ or FHD internal LCD mode will see a noticably bigger drop in performance yet again.

Thanks for the quick response.

Have just ran 3Dmark11 X mode at 1080p in which GTX 670 is 3x GT 650M scores, but I guess I have to forget about benchmarks and get that external LCD to test in game.

BTW, for the best performance, do I just connect the external LCD to eGPU and switch to secondary display only in windows? I have already disable the High Definition Audio on GTX 670 in Device Manager, is there any other trick I can use when I get that external LCD?

Here I am sharing about lenovo T420. in 2-3 days ago I updated to GTX 750 ti, I thought this card will be very power because it is up to so far. But my experience with this card is not good,ersion of

I tested many hours with several version6 of windows like win 8, 8.1 and win7... alltime 3dmark06 and 11 benchmark is 14000-15000 and 3999-4100, this is very awful, very frustrating because i was very nice result with GTX 560, it was about 2yr old card.

I tried setup 1.3 , but nando suggest me that it is not necessary for this PC because my TOLUD is 3.5 and as I never get error12, it is completely ok for eGPU setup. But he got some confussion about my large16GB memory, May be it is causes for performance deduction, Any way I am happy for getting workable eGPU setup but not enjoying stuttering in game like Fifa 15 and so....

[ATTACH]14559[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]14560[/ATTACH]

I am switched to Win 8.1 with the suggestion of nando. that OS give me highest benchmark both 3dmark06 and 11 14620 and 4128...

my system is T420,

16GB ram,

GTX 750 ti

PE4L 2.1b EXPRESS CARD

Win8.1 is known to give lower performance results in 3dmark06 than Win7, eg: only 73% of Win7 levels at http://forum.techinferno.com/implementation-guides/7388-15-lenovo-w540-r9_290x-gtx780ti%4010gbps-4gbps-sonnet-ee-se2-pe4l-2-1b-%5Bgothic860%5D.html#post101232 .

• Thumbs Up 1

Win8.1 is known to give lower performance results in 3dmark06 than Win7, eg: only 73% of Win7 levels at http://forum.techinferno.com/implementation-guides/7388-15-lenovo-w540-r9_290x-gtx780ti%4010gbps-4gbps-sonnet-ee-se2-pe4l-2-1b-%5Bgothic860%5D.html#post101232 .

W520 is always anyone's dream pc. thar is very power full and desktop replacement. I think it is challange to overcone impossibilities to low powered CPU devices...

my experience with both windows 7 ans 8.1 my 16gb Ram was OK. but my GTX 750 TI low scoring compared with old GTX560... But stuttering in game in FiFA15 still remain both windows. CPU load is 75%-83%. my setup is PE4L 2.1b Express card slot.

T420 16GB Ram.GTX 750ti

It seems that we have a similar setup, and I hope you can help me. I have an ASUS Q501LA with a external GTX750 with a EXP GDC. I am trying to get the eGPU to use my internal display by enabling eGPU + iGPU. I can't do this because of TOLUD issues in which I have to do a DSDT override. I am not able to complete this process, so could you inform me how you were able to flash unlock your bios?

Where do you want to place the eGPU? Just naked outside of the M350? Without additional power and a riser you might be able to make a GTX 750 Ti work that doesn't need additional power.

I actually happen to have a 750 that I can try that with.

It seems that we have a similar setup, and I hope you can help me. I have an ASUS Q501LA with a external GTX750 with a EXP GDC. I am trying to get the eGPU to use my internal display by enabling eGPU + iGPU. I can't do this because of TOLUD issues in which I have to do a DSDT override. I am not able to complete this process, so could you inform me how you were able to flash unlock your bios?

Some guy had unlocked it and uploaded in the internet with instructions. I don't know if that helps because i don't have Asus laptop and my problem is different.

Hi Nando,

I'm back with some updates and questions - if you recall I posted about asking whether setup 1.x would help me if I couldn't fix dsdt override - well the nice guys on the mac forum helped me out and dsdt override now compiles with 0 errors and my large memory is shown (I did not try the code I pasted here yet but went with the one in the original guide btw so in DM everything is as it is on others' screenshots).

That being said.. I ran into yet another strange problem and am wondering if setup 1.x is meant to address it. The problem is - if I have 2 gb of ram in the computer, no problem as before in terms of just booting up and at least getting the 750 TI recognized and working (only 1.1 bus - not sure what this means but I'll work on optimization later - I notice everyone is showing 2.0 - and I do have the 2.1b pe4l.. Anyway.

Soon as I stick 4 gb into the computer - shut down/start - (without eGPU being connected) BSOD when windows logo shows up (after about 2s or so as it used to do when I messed up my dsdt file - only this time, I simply take out the extra 2 gb and boot just fine).

So - is this what setup 1.x will fix or is this something else? I'm not seeing anything on google about it.

Thanks again as always.

Guys, i have tried a lot of times. Laptop doesnt detect any gpu, actually egpu doesnt appear in device manager. HWinfo sees my r9 270x but there is no source for working ( there is no memory adress ) when i hot plug(on sleep mode), device detected sound is heard. after 1-2 sec device removed sound ! ( doesnt appear on device manager ) ((on my exp gdc light is red))

What should i do ?

How can i activate my egpu on laptop ?

I can't disable my gt540m. I dont know how to disable it, i dont know where are those settings too.

Please make suggestions. I have read many topics but i cant do this. It is waste of time because i couldn't find how to do this.

@Tech Inferno Fan

If your setup saves my time i want to buy it

Notebook : Asus K53SV - 6GB Ram

Graphics Card : Asus R9 270X

Dock : EXP GDC Beast

post-34030-14494999805679_thumb.jpg

post-34030-14494999806053_thumb.jpg

@Tech Inferno Fan If you remember my problem... Are you 100% sure that your DIY setup would fix my problem? If it didn't help i would have spent money for nothing. :)

Yes, Setup 1.30 can downgrade your mPCIe link to Gen1 to resolve your problem of an unreliable Gen2 link you describe at http://forum.techinferno.com/diy-e-gpu-projects/2109-diy-egpu-experiences-%5Bversion-2-0%5D-467.html#post129275 .

Guys, i have tried a lot of times. Laptop doesnt detect any gpu, actually egpu doesnt appear in device manager. HWinfo sees my r9 270x but there is no source for working ( there is no memory adress ) when i hot plug(on sleep mode), device detected sound is heard. after 1-2 sec device removed sound ! ( doesnt appear on device manager ) ((on my exp gdc light is red))

What should i do ?

I can't disable my gt540m. I dont know how to disable it, i dont know where are those settings too.

Please make suggestions. I have read many topics but i cant do this. It is waste of time because i couldn't find how to do this.

@Tech Inferno Fan

[ATTACH=CONFIG]14575[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]14576[/ATTACH]

The connect then almost immediate disconnect sound suggests some link level problem. If you have correct power to the GPU then I'd be inclined to say your EXP GDC Beast cable has some crosstalk causing this problem. I'd suggest getting a replace EXP GDC Beast.

Yes, Setup 1.30 can downgrade your mPCIe link to Gen1 to resolve your problem of an unreliable Gen2 link you describe at http://forum.techinferno.com/diy-e-gpu-projects/2109-diy-egpu-experiences-%5Bversion-2-0%5D-467.html#post129275 .

Oh and i forgot to mention before. In any games there is a little screen flickering (only when actually playing, in loading screen or pause there is no flickering) but in windows enviroment there is not. Is that caused by the same problem?

Hi Nando4 - I didn't quote your name fully so not sure if you saw my post as I had a similar question - I fixed my dsdt override issue but now I receive bsod (without egpu plugged in) if I have more than 2 gb installed - will your setup fix this?

I tried setting a fixed memory range like endy to no avail.

Google only found issues with boot manager (that may possible be an issue - I've used MS instructions to revert mine to its original form - no changes).

As a last resort I'll try a fresh win7 enterprise install tomorrow if setup doesn't address this followed by win 8.1 if the former doesn't do it. If setup cannot work for me right now - will installing 8.1 fix it and since I'm not entirely sure how it works - what happens when I run laptop w/o egpu plugged in - will I still receive bsod or is this setup thing pretty much good to go after?

What should i do ?

@Tech Inferno Fan

[ATTACH=CONFIG]14575[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]14576[/ATTACH]

It is familier to me. at the first time installed GTX750 ti on PE4L 2.1b windows not detecting GPU, I unstalled completely onboard HD graphics card driver, so it is rebooting then came back with 2 device in device manager, I straight installed Nvidia latest drive and grab the card....my system is Lenovo T420....

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.