eGPU experiences [version 2.0]

Tech Inferno Fan

Hi! Guessing that you don"t have in the bios option to disable the dgpu [check that] you have to disable the dgpu within o.s.To do that,yo have to go to device manager then System device and find the pci/express that host the dgpu.Be sure that you have install the setup chipset from intel site,otherway that pcie won"t show up.As you can see in my case ,i disable the pcie controller that host the dgpu ,and it disappeared from the dysplay adapter list.From here install the egpu driver and you have to see this option of choosing betwen igpu and egpu as a grafics processor the trick is to wipe out the dgpu from the display adapter list..[ATTACH=CONFIG]14298[/ATTACH]. [ATTACH=CONFIG]14297[/ATTACH]So,is not enough to disable it from display adaper list since the o.s still see it as a basic vga adapter,you have to search for that pcie controller that host the dgpu and disable it[not unninstal] in system devices. It works for me in W7,W8.1 and W10. I am sure that it will work for you also.

Just tried it and it WORKS!!! You're the best, thank you so much! :Banane35: I was disabling/uninstalling the PCI root, not the PCI-e :62:

I've done benchmark in 3DMark06, but when I was redirected to browser to see my score, it showed C0...Anyways, I was getting roughly 2times more FPS then before and for example War Thunder maxed out runs 25 - 40 FPS!!

If you want, I can try to run the benchmark again...

-Matthew

Hello there,

I recently bought an Asus GTX 560 TI Direct CU II Top 1GB GDDR5 gpu and it doesn't work correctly.

My setup:

Intel core i5-560M (Acer Aspire 5741)

8GB DDR3 1066MHz ram

Asus GTX 560 TI Direct CU II Top 1GB GDDR5

PE4L PM060A v2.1b

2 PSU (both give me the same problem, but not with my r7 240):

FSP280-60PNA-E (PF)

-Specs image:

-http://images.esellerpro.com/2131/I/763/47/DSCF3617.JPG

ALLIED AL 8360BTX

-Specs image:

-http://images.esellerpro.com/2131/I/128/990/011.JPG

What is the problem?

My system detects the gpu and I can install any nvidia driver from the 5XX series without any problem, the problem is after this.

After the drivers have been correctly installed and I reboot the system (turn off, replace PE4L with wifi card, boot up, sleep mode, replace wifi card with PE4L), I can log in, then after 10 sec I get BSOD.

Dump file screenshots:

Imgur

What I tried:

- The HD audio config has the same HW ID as the GPU, maybe that could have been the issue, but didn't work either.

Nvidia - Nvlddmkm.sys error message

Different drivers:

Nothing worked, same for the windows 10 tech preview.

How can I fix this issue?

Hi,Matthew!good to hear that! i suggest to use gpu- z and look if your card runs in x1 2.0 mode under load.regarding the benchmark,i also have that C0 score,but only with internal screen.it would be nice to post the result for your benchmarkings using external screen if gives you a legible score.Thanks!

Hi everyone, long time reader, every now and then poster :distracted:

I finally found a good offer; a 8470p for 300€ with 2 years of warranty remaining; you gotta love non IT people at times.

I'm ready to start getting the HW pieces needed for the egpu, but I had one doubt. You can mount an AMD card on a PE4L 2.1b (the one needed for EC, right?) but you can't do a 1.2Opt link on AMD cards.

Is not being able to do a 1.2Opt link with AMD cards all that bad? I'm either looking for the soon to come 960Ti due to power consumptions or a R290/280 given both seem to be a beast when it comes to price/performance, but have a higher bus requirement and neither do I know if that's a problem. If the only annoyance is not being able to use the internal LCD, I really don't care because it'll be sitting in my desktop along with the docking station.

Thanks for the help

Hi,Matthew!good to hear that! i suggest to use gpu- z and look if your card runs in x1 2.0 mode under load.regarding the benchmark,i also have that C0 score,but only with internal screen.it would be nice to post the result for your benchmarkings using external screen if gives you a legible score.Thanks!

Hi again, Dan!

As you said, when I run 3DMark06 on external monitor the score works! I got 22500 points!!

GPU-Z shows that my GTX750Ti runs at PCI-Express x1 2.0

Thanks again for your help :)

-Matthew

Current​ Spec's

Laptop: Lenovo G505

Ram: 8gb

Processor: Quad Core Amd A6-5200 2.00 GHz

Gpu: Radeon 8400 512mb (Mobile)

Storage: 500gb

(wip)Build

Gpu: Radeon 6970 2gb

Adapter: pe4c-pm100c v2.1 with mpci

Note

I just want to know if this build will work and if my wlan is whitelisted

so I don't run into errors trying to play this on my monitor (Not Laptop Monitor).

That would be really awesome indeed. It sounds promising and I'm very excited about it. Now I just need to be patient :)

well,regarding the dx12 benefits for the egpu users ,i found this article that say that among a lot of inovacions we will see a reduction of pciexpress traffic and lower latency.that is exactly what an x1 pcie link need. http://www.redgamingtech.com/directx-12-gdc-2015-early-technical-analysis-news/ .

• Thumbs Up 1

I've searched far and wide (including this thread) and haven't been able to find any information regarding an M.2 eGPU implementation. I would like to use the BPlus P4SM2 to provide a x4 PCI link from an Broadwell NUC (M-keyed M.2 that accepts PCIe SSDs) to do an ultra small form factor gaming PC. The product page for the P4SM2 says no drivers are required to use the adapter, but I do presume there would need to be some sort of software component in order to make this work properly. I am a complete neophyte to eGPU solutions, but it seems like the only community that would be able to help me with this build. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Cheers.

I too had the same idea and want to do a similar build. If you do decide to go for it, please let us know the results! ;)

hmm.. can i ask somtethin...?

my laptop toshiba L645

i3 m370 2.4 ghz

ati mobility 5470

4gb ram

win 7 64 bit...

pe4l 2.1b

and im using gtx 560 1gb with thermaltake 450w...

and yes.. im already do it according to tutorial everywhere im found.. and its work...

my problem is... why its the performance not significant up? is bcause limitation of pcie in my laptop have?

i have a poorly 3dmark06 score... (just 5k)

please help me.. or i must buy setup 1.x to link pcie x1 i have in my laptop for better performance?

hmm.. can i ask somtethin...?

my laptop toshiba L645

i3 m370 2.4 ghz

ati mobility 5470

4gb ram

win 7 64 bit...

pe4l 2.1b

and im using gtx 560 1gb with thermaltake 450w...

and yes.. im already do it according to tutorial everywhere im found.. and its work...

my problem is... why its the performance not significant up? is bcause limitation of pcie in my laptop have?

i have a poorly 3dmark06 score... (just 5k)

please help me.. or i must buy setup 1.x to link pcie x1 i have in my laptop for better performance?

Install Win8.1 and use Setup 1.30 to enable the dormant iGPU on your system. Doing so will get you a 3dmark06 score over 10k since the NVidia Optimus driver will then enable x1 pci-e compression. Can see an example of how this was done at http://forum.techinferno.com/implementation-guides/6792-%5Bguide%5D-15-acer-aspire-5742g-gtx660ti%402gbps-c-mpcie1-pe4c-1-2-win8-1-a.html#post92801

Alternatively, consider getting a better Gen2 capable system from http://forum.techinferno.com/diy-e-gpu-projects/4109-egpu-candidate-system-list.html#post57511 .

Install Win8.1 and use Setup 1.30 to enable the dormant iGPU on your system. Doing so will get you a 3dmark06 score over 10k since the NVidia Optimus driver will then enable x1 pci-e compression. Can see an example of how this was done at http://forum.techinferno.com/implementation-guides/6792-%5Bguide%5D-15-acer-aspire-5742g-gtx660ti%402gbps-c-mpcie1-pe4c-1-2-win8-1-a.html#post92801

Alternatively, consider getting a better Gen2 capable system from http://forum.techinferno.com/diy-e-gpu-projects/4109-egpu-candidate-system-list.html#post57511 .

uh... im avoid to reinstal my window cause something... (a lazy to reinstalling my working program.. and afraid its will not compatible with win8)

is it a last choice for me?(instal win8) any other solutin to make me still using win7 for better performance?

and 1 thing.. my egpu(gtx560) is support x1 opt?

uh... im avoid to reinstal my window cause something... (a lazy to reinstalling my working program.. and afraid its will not compatible with win8)

is it a last choice for me?(instal win8) any other solutin to make me still using win7 for better performance?

and 1 thing.. my egpu(gtx560) is support x1 opt?

eGPU can only do x1.Opt if you have an iGPU active. Win8.x allowing a dormant iGPU on 1st gen i-core systems like yours to be enabled and used. Win7 will not allow that on your system since it boots with a dGPU. REF: http://forum.techinferno.com/implementation-guides/6792-%5Bguide%5D-15-acer-aspire-5742g-gtx660ti%402gbps-c-mpcie1-pe4c-1-2-win8-1-a.html#post92801

eGPU can only do x1.Opt if you have an iGPU active. Win8.x allowing a dormant iGPU on 1st gen i-core systems like yours to be enabled and used. Win7 will not allow that on your system since it boots with a dGPU. REF: http://forum.techinferno.com/implementation-guides/6792-%5Bguide%5D-15-acer-aspire-5742g-gtx660ti%402gbps-c-mpcie1-pe4c-1-2-win8-1-a.html#post92801

thank you Tech Inferno Fan for answer my question before...

my last question is...

can i get better performance with win8 alone?

(before im buyin setup 1.x im afraid it not have a better perfomance either...)

edited : ok im reread that REF ten times... and still doubt it will work in my laptop...

Hi everyone

I have a nVidia GTX 660 Ti with a PE4H-EC2C-060B , and got it working in win8 thanks to Nando´s help. Anyway, I see that in ocasions it gets the whole computer dead, depending on the game. I was thinking it may be because the computer´s pcie x1 is too slow for the amount of data, or maybe I should change the egpu settings or lower the gpu configuration.

I already changed the PE4H´s jumper which bypasses the voltage comunication with the computer, so I don´t think that is the cause. I haven´t seen anything similar on the forums, anyone can help?

First - thanks for all the great Information to be found in eGPUs in this Forum!

I am trying to get the follwoing eGPU setup to work:

.... HP Elitebook 6490 with Intel I7 Sandybridge HD3000 iGPU. No dGPU.

.... BEAST EXP GPU Adaptor.

.... Nvidia GTX 670 eGPU.

Electrically seems to work fine.

... eGPU is found after plugging in

... drivers automagically installed via Windows setup

... Current NVIDIA drivers installed afterwards (9.18.13.4752).

No resource Error 12 - issue encountered.

.. Followed the DSDT override guide.

.. After fixing the compile errors got a big memory region >32 bit.

Now am stuck to get Win8.1 to actually use it.

. Already deinstalled the GTX670, the HD3000, the PCI Express Root complex, the PCI Express Root ports

. upon reboot&redetection still everything installs in 32bit space.

Any ideas where to go next to finally get enough free resources?

Slow pci-e won't cause a crash.

When do crashes occur? Only in games? Any particular game?

Can you describe the crash? BSOD or freeze? Artifacts on screen?

Do you have an overclock?

Are you running pci-e 2.0 or 1.1? (2.0 is possible but likely unstable with a PE4H & EC2C)

The whole computer freezes, and the monitor turns off. So far it happened with F1 2014, CoD Ghosts, but for example never with PES 2015 or Kart Racing Pro, which I think are technically inferior games. I have nothing extra, no overclocking, and the internal monitor is inactive. PCIe is 1.1 running at 2.5 g/s

So. I'm working on a nice custom build.

I want to take it to the next level. My idea is to get a PCI-E switcher (or maybe a dual F-F-M riser+ M-M extender would work?) so that within my case I use a 980gtx with my full mini-itx build. But when I want can switch to E-GPU mode. An ideas? I think TI makes some nice demuxers but I'm not sure about implementation.

Also, is it possible to just use the PC with thunderbolt output to run my OSX macbook EGPU? I know it sounds pointless but It'd be nice for convenience factor since I already have most the parts with the EGPU might as well make it a full fledged PC or just use the PC to be my EGPU.

Any links etc would be nice.

Will it work sufficiently or is the money better spent on SLI 980gtx?

I can't find any performance measurement anywhere. Can someone help?

I'll be posting pics of my rig soon. Just waiting on my Ncase M1 to come in from taiwan...

I plan on using TB2@16gbps

- - - Updated - - -

I forgot to add that I plan on OC this sucker to hell after watercooling.

Nando need your help mate!

I bought the PE4C V 2.1 on Bplus, had a problem that was on the red LED, but I got it and it was the power cord that was damaged (on the inside). Did you install normally eGPU detected the GPU and installed the drivers correctly. However in the games says that the GPU is with 0% of use. I'm not using an external monitor. Am I required to use an external monitor? In Device Manager it's OK without any error. Grateful for the attention!

Hello everyone!

I have a nvidia geforce gtx 280 gigabyte and Lenovo t430s with expesscard can i connect through a EXP GDC?I know that I have a very old videocard ,but what I need videocard to become real with lenovo t430s? is it realistic?

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.