eGPU experiences [version 2.0]

Tech Inferno Fan

Hi everybody

I bought a PE4H with PM3N, ten days ago and it's not working...

I tried several tutorials like this one http://forum.techinferno.com/diy-e-gpu-projects/3539-guide-dsdt-override-simultaneous-igpu-dgpu-egpu.html

I did an override, and I don't know how to use setup 1.30. I think I did a lot of things in setup 1.30 but not good things.

Today I've error 43 and I don't how to fix it, I'm french and I don't understand very well the tutorials

If somebody could help me, it will be great.

If you don't understand something or you want to know something particular please ask me.

dGPU : Geforce 610m

eGPU : Asus GTX 550ti

iGPU : Intel HD 3000

My config :

Packard bell ts44-hr-301 fr

CPU : I3 2350m

Ram : 8Go

Intel SSD

Windows 7 64bits

Thanks a lot for your help

Thomas

sorry - it seems that I have posted my message in the wrong thread....

Although I found several answers to my following questions I am still not sure what would be the best solution for an e-GPU system concerning my "technical environment":

The reason why I am planing to setup a e-GPU system is that I a would love to play games (some less power consuming games such as Fifa 2015 but also more power consuming games such as Rome Total War II) on my 4K LG 55 UHD TV. This TV only supports HDMI 2.0 input and I would love to buy a Geforce GTX 960, GTX 970 or a GTX 980to play Fifa 2015 in 4k resolution on my TV via the HDMI 2.0 output at 60Hz.

Concerning my Hardware, I have several options.

First of all I have an iMac 27 5K late 2014 with an AMD Radeon R9 M295X however without an integrated intel graphic (I am still planning to install Bootcamp). As this system has Thunderbolt 2 I was expecting that the iMacwould be the best option for my e-GPU system.

Moreover I have an Asus ROG G750JS gaming notebook with an geforce gtx 870m, integrated intel graphics but only Thunderbolt 1. Actually I use the Asus Rog as my gaming PC but as it only has TB1 I was expecting that the bandwidth would be to limited to run the e-GPU (e.g, with an GTX-970) in 4K via HDMI 2.0.

So I was wondering whether

a) whether the e-GPU system with an gtx 970 or the gtx 960 allows to use the HDMI 2.0 output to play fifa 15 in 4kon my TV (and maybe even other games in 4k)

B) whether the Thunderbolt 1 output of my Asus notebook would have enough bandwidth to play games in 4k on my TV

c) whether the internal Monitor of my iMac can be used as Target Display when using the e-GPU (I guess no because of the missing intel graphics)

Hope you guys can help me any further with these three questions...

Thank you!!

Hi Guys,

Just getting into this so looking for some kind help.

I have a Dell E6440, which is a corperate machine, but ive removed the HD and installed a new HD running Win7. BIOS is locked, but im not sure that will be an issue or not.

So, I have bought the EXP Beast with PCI express mini version, and am using a GT560 Ti

Windows detects the card fine.

If i disable the windows display, then my new monitor fires up.

But the system seems laggy even in Windows, no game started at this point, screen refresh seems slow, just does not feel if the graphics power is getting out. I am using a cooler master GX 550W PSU, the 560 Ti fans are running, very quiet,

So in essence it works, just not very well, im not sure what to adjust or what to do?

any advice welcome,

best

Wolf

Good morning

I installed my egpu, GTX 550ti, with a PM3N (PE4H) and I did an override. But when I start windows after that, I have error 43, I tried to initialise my video cards but sill not working...

I also tried some tutorials on this forum, but same problem.

Sorry for my english

Thank you for help

@romtroe: eGPU performance on the iMac 5k display will not work. The display itself is already directly connected to the AMD graphics and max resolution in Windows will be just 4k. For eGPU Performance on the iMac display you need Optimus (Intel iGPU) to display eGPU on the internal screen.

An eGPU itself should work, but should go for an GTX 980 and TB2 to get max performance in 4k resolution.

I have added Tech Inferno Fan in friend's list but i had nt received an approval. Do you know what it his id or how can i get the diy setupm i need this setup, I have written several email at the email adress at the top of the thread but had no response. Is that adress used for sending money via paypal? Thnank you for your response

Do you know what it his id or how can i get the diy setupm i need this setup, I have written several email at the email adress at the top of the thread but had no response. Is that adress used for sending money via paypal? Thnank you for your response

Details on how to obtain Setup 1.30 are in the top banner at [url]http://forum.techinferno.com/diy-e-gpu-projects/2123-diy-egpu-setup-1-30-a.html#post27337[/url], quoted below:

Hey guys, Im new here and I just found this because I woke up and asked myself if someone had the brilliant idea of having a eGPU connected to a laptop turns out there was someone.

So if anyone could help, I would like to know what is the best possible setup i could get for my laptop, here are the specs:

Asus K450J

I7-k4700HQ - HD 4600 graphics

GT840M

8GB RAM DDR3

Ports

1xUSB 3.0

1xHDMI

1xVGA

Please help me, Im really interested in this.

this is my sony vaio s information :

-CPU: core i5-2430M 2.4GHz turbo boost 3.0Ghz

-RAM : 8GB DRR3 bus 1333

-Chipset : intel series 6 HM67

- mPCIE 2.0

I wanna GTX 960 eGpu for my laptop . I dont know my laptop can run and playing game with GTX 960 . help me choose right , please

Thank you

I'm facing some weird problems with my setup (PE4Lb 660 on 2750pp on Win 8.1).

The card randomly freezes up, black screen with few seconds of music, and the system suddenly reboots. Temps are fine.

The strange thing is that it didn't happen previously. Someone else experiencing the same problem? Some relevant changes with drivers and so on?

Thanks everyone.

Hello everyone,

I'm about to finish building an eGPU setup for my Dell E6420 (i5-2520m, 8Gb, NVS4200m). The setup consists of Dell DA-2 power brick, GTX460, PE4L adapter with expresscard and a wooden DIY enclosure for the stuff. I already tested the setup and it seems to perform pretty well. Haven't done any benchmarks yet, but Skyrim runs smooth at 40+ fps at ultra Full HD. However, there are some questions I'd like to have an answer to. Being a beginner here, I quess all the information I'm asking already is there somewhere, but I just can't sort out the coherent information. I'd appreciate if you could help me to find this info by either copypasting or providing me links.

Anyway, so far the only way I've been able to have the eGPU recongnized and running is to plug EC2C in and power the eGPU before windows startup. Is that normal? When the expresscard adapter is plugged in and I sleep my computer, resuming from sleep fails, windows crashes and reboots. Any remedy for this?

Furthermore, I'd like to get this setup working on my internal LCD. Athough there's some talk around about that, I couldn't find a definite guide to do that. Is there such? What about x2 speed or Optimus compression? Dumb question: what do they mean and how to get them working?

By the way, any idea why my WEI dropped from 6.5 to 6.0 with eGPU?

Thanks

-kilgoretrout

Hi all,

Very new to this, and have limited tech knowledge (have never built a PC) but like to fiddle with things. I'm contemplating using a PE4L egpu for my 2014 13" rMBP, but am not sure what an ideal card would be. I'm thinking the new GTX 960, but just want to clarify whether it will enable use of the internal monitor via Optimus, and whether it will be usable in OSX ( usually game in Windows 7, but the more flexibility the better). I understand the PE4L would only give around 80% of the card's performance, hence why a mid range card, but native thunderbolt looks a lot more complex and enclosures are really expensive in Australia.

Many thanks

Hi all,

Very new to this, and have limited tech knowledge (have never built a PC) but like to fiddle with things. I'm contemplating using a PE4L egpu for my 2014 13" rMBP, but am not sure what an ideal card would be. I'm thinking the new GTX 960, but just want to clarify whether it will enable use of the internal monitor via Optimus, and whether it will be usable in OSX ( usually game in Windows 7, but the more flexibility the better). I understand the PE4L would only give around 80% of the card's performance, hence why a mid range card, but native thunderbolt looks a lot more complex and enclosures are really expensive in Australia.

Many thanks

13" rMBP has a 16Gbps-TB2 link capability. Hence avoid 4Gbps-EC2 solutions like PE4L, EXP GDC and use an AKiTiO Thunder2 instead which is best fitted with a mini ITX GTX670/760, GTX960 or GTX970 (eg: EVGA GTX970 SSC). See for more explanation of performance differences between 4Gbps-EC2 and 16Gbps-TB2 see http://forum.techinferno.com/enclosures-adapters/7939-villagetronic-rip-off-alert-thunderbolt-vidock-crippled-tb-ec-4gbps-unit.html

Ideally I would like to use a Thunderbolt native option, but as I mentioned enclosures are really expensive in Australia ($505AUD, about $395USD for a Thunder2). Although from what I've seen if your using a powered riser you won't need to use the internal psu anyway, so could order an American box with a local psu... Also I'm not confident with rewiring etc as I have no experience working with PC hardware, but I guess that's the nature of the project. If only there was a simpler option!

I'm pretty impatient to get my setup working so I'll submit my questions anew. My setup consists of dell e6420 with NVS4200m and GTX460 egpu via PE4L 2.1b. I'm having followin issues:

- Only way to get egpu recognized is to completely power off my laptop, attach and power up egpu and the boot.

- Resuming from sleep when eGPU is attached but unrecognized makes system crash and reboot.

- HWinfo program is reporting only x1 speed though my system should most likely to be x2 capable.

- No optimus: There's no preferred graphics processor option in nVIdia control panel; in fact that control panel is missing most of its tabs when on internal screen egpu attached and recognized. Vice versa, when egpu is attached and image is on external monitor I can't access Intel graphics settings.

So basically I would like to acquire 1.2xOpt speeds and find a neater way to get egpu recognized. How do I get there?

You need to disable dgpu (nvs4200m) and to do that you need to use diy egpu setup 1.x

Also dadt override could be needed if you have troubles using egfpu after disabling dgpu.

Thanks for your response! By the way, in your signature you mention you've got you egpu working as a plug and play. How did you do that?

My e5430 has only iGpu and on some of the notebooks out there egpu with nvidia card is just plug (instal drivers) and play with no extra work needed.

My m6800 paints a different story.

EDIT: @nanod4

It looks like i found a gem egpu system, at least for ease of use.

2570p was giving me hard time (never forget to check bios if EC is Enabled) and decidet to plug eGPU into my girlfriends E5430 - and it booted straight to windows, no delay on exp gdc v6 set.

Hell even post screen was routed trough eGPU to my external TV. One driver instal later and and thing worked. No DSDT Override, no DIY eGPU setup. It just worked... I was amazed :) This really is an excellent system for testing as it requires no work :D

Picture 1

Picture 2

Dont have any time to do more testing as my GF is claiming her notebook back so I'm just leaving these pics here. Will do more testing later on.

Ideally I would like to use a Thunderbolt native option, but as I mentioned enclosures are really expensive in Australia ($505AUD, about $395USD for a Thunder2). Although from what I've seen if your using a powered riser you won't need to use the internal psu anyway, so could order an American box with a local psu... Also I'm not confident with rewiring etc as I have no experience working with PC hardware, but I guess that's the nature of the project. If only there was a simpler option!

Please contact [email protected] to get the enclosure for US$189. They can ship it out of Taiwan for "Asia - $68.46 – $116.16" shipping cost. Should be ~US$300 delivered. It will be shipped with a correct power socket for Australia. You can also try bhphotovideo.com to get a US model where the AC adapter will need a replacement 2pin cable for use in Australia. Available for $5.95 from jaycar: http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?ID=PS4120

Please contact [email protected] to get the enclosure for US$189. They can ship it out of Taiwan for "Asia - $68.46 – $116.16" shipping cost. Should be ~US$300 delivered. It will be shipped with a correct power socket for Australia. You can also try bhphotovideo.com to get a US model where the AC adapter will need a replacement 2pin cable for use in Australia. Available for $5.95 from jaycar: 3pin Mains Plug to IEC C5 (clover leaf) - 1.8m - Jaycar Electronics

Thanks Tech Inferno Fan, that's hugely helpful! So essentially I could rig a thunderbolt2 egpu with the following:

Approx $300AUD Akitio Thunder2

$11AUD 16x to 16x powered riser Powered PCI E Extension Cable 16X TO 16X Riser Extender Card With Molex | eBay

$99AUD SilverStone Strider Essential Gold 500W PSU SilverStone Strider Essential Gold 500W ST50F-ESG [sST-ST50F-ESG] - $99.00 : PC Case Gear

$2AUD psu bridge XSPC 24pin PSU ATX Bridge Tool White [5060175581327] - $2.00 : PC Case Gear

$319AUD EVGA GTX 960 EVGA GeForce GTX 960 SSC ACX 2.0 2GB Video Card - 02G-P4-2966-KR | Mwave Australia

I'm pretty impatient to get my setup working so I'll submit my questions anew. My setup consists of dell e6420 with NVS4200m and GTX460 egpu via PE4L 2.1b. I'm having followin issues:

- Only way to get egpu recognized is to completely power off my laptop, attach and power up egpu and the boot.

- Resuming from sleep when eGPU is attached but unrecognized makes system crash and reboot.

- HWinfo program is reporting only x1 speed though my system should most likely to be x2 capable.

- No optimus: There's no preferred graphics processor option in nVIdia control panel; in fact that control panel is missing most of its tabs when on internal screen egpu attached and recognized. Vice versa, when egpu is attached and image is on external monitor I can't access Intel graphics settings.

So basically I would like to acquire 1.2xOpt speeds and find a neater way to get egpu recognized. How do I get there?

Similar problem here with my e5420 i7-2670qm Win8.1. If egpu is detected on startup, it disables igpu and only outputs video to to external display (no optimus). If it is hot-plugged, I get error 12. If it is hot-plugged with DSDT override (large memory in device manager) I get a black screen. I can move around the mouse, but it constantly returns to the center like the display is resetting.

I'll update once I get a better graphics card to test with and finish a raid 0 setup with Win 7.

If that doesn't go through, I'm in the process of a DIY USB-powered monitor. Snagged a logic controller board from here http://abusemark.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=47 and an LCD from here http://www.ebay.com/itm/iPad-3-LCD-Screen-replacement-For-iPad-3rd-Gen-Compatible-Screen-/121559909667. Need to make an enclosure for it and it limits me to card with displayport, but we'll see how it goes!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.