eGPU experiences [version 2.0]

Tech Inferno Fan

I'm new to the whole eGPU stuff. I recently bought a EXP GDC Beast for my laptop.

Now I have it all connected and all working. But I still have 1 question and cannot seem to find anything on it specifically. Is it possible to still use the Nvidia dGpu for the LCD monitor of my laptop and the AMD eGpu for the external monitor? Currently only my Intel HD graphics is driving the LCD and when I open the Nvidia control panel I get an error saying I need to connect a monitor to the gpu. All Gpu's are enabled in device manager and MSI afterburner also recognizes them all.

Specs:

Acer aspire V3-771G

Intel i5 3210m

iGpu: HD 4000

dGpu: GT 650m

eGpu: HD 6850, connected with a EXP GDC Beast and according to Gpu-Z and CCC a 1x 2.0 link.

Thanks in advance for an answer.

(sorry for any spelling mistakes, English is not my first language)

This is an odd situation that is hard to answer, but I do not think you can have both cards render at the same time. Windows will ask you to select a primary display, and the gpu associated with that display will be the one that renders. With the internal screen set as primary the 650m should render both screens, and with the external screen as primary the 6850 should render both screens.

Your error in the Nvidia control panel is normal. Technically the HD 4000 is running the internal screen, but the 650m is feeding it all of its data and thus is doing the real work.

To switch between which card your system will use though, all you have to do is change the primary display. Both screens will always be displaying an image unless you set otherwise.

You may be able to set one screen as primary, launch a game, then switch to the other screen as primary, then launch another, and I think then that both cards will be running simultaneously. The first game might just crash though.

Hello everyone,

I'm considering upgrading my graphics solution on my Lenovo ThinkPad T430 (IGP+GPU with Optimus) laptop because I want some of my games to run smoother. My laptop usually sits in the docking station when playing, so I don't mind having to use external displays. I sometimes game when undocked, but I can run at lower resolution.

Ideally, I would like to be able to use an eGPU when connected to a large screen, and would like to keep my dGPU functional when undocked for the casual game. Also, I don't want to restart my PC to switch between GPUs.

I'm not sure where to start, I read several guides pinned in this forum section, and this is what I understand so far:

1. I must first purchase an adapter that will allow me to connect an eGPU to my laptop.

1. I want to have a Plug and Play solution, so I must use either Thunderbolt or ExpressCard.
    2. I have a Intel Series-7 Chipset, but no Thunderbolt port.
    3. I can't use the Optimus x1.Opt solution because the ports connected on the docking station are hard-wired to the dGPU and bypass the iGPU completely. The exceptions are the main LVDS display and the VGA port, which are unused when docked.
    4. That means the best link speed I can get is PCIe 2.0 x1 using the EC slot.

5. Next, I must pick the adapter that I would like to use.
      1. It would be nice for an enclosure to be included, it would look cleaner and I'm not good at building cases.
      2. A USB slot would be great so I can plug in a keyboard/mouse and use it as an alternative docking solution.
      3. The PE4H v2.4 is one solution. I must also purchase an ATX power supply, an ATX power switch, a PCIe ribbon cable, a PCIe PSU cable and finally the ExpressCard connector.
      4. The PE4H v3.2 looks interesting because it optionally comes with an enclosure, an AC Adapter and ExpressCard connections. However, I'm not sure if it is compatible.
      5. Both have a USB 2.0 connector that I can use to connect a keyboard and mouse for docking setup.

[*]I should pick a graphics card. I'm not sure what to pick but I know I must take the following into consideration.

1. Should be an Nvidia Card because my dGPU is Nvidia, and I would like to use it. Having AMD and Nvidia drivers on the same machine probably cause issues.
  2. Some of my games are old and make use of DirectX 9.
  3. The GTX 660 and GTX 750 look like good candidate cards to me.

[*]Next step is dealing with drivers. I have no idea what to do here, but my guess that I'll have trouble with the following:

1. My dGPU requires an Quadro NVS driver while the eGPU will require a GeForce driver.
  2. I would like to keep my Optimus setup working when the eGPU is unplugged.

[*]In an ideal world, I should be able to plug my eGPU in and it would work right away but:

1. I have more than 3GB of RAM, so I might need to use the DSDT Override fix because of a potential error related to running out of address space for PCIe resource allocation.
  2. I don't need to use the eGPU Setup v1.x program because I can't enable faster link speeds (x2, x4, etc.) and because I want to keep my dGPU working.

Is there anything else I need to take into consideration? Did I miss any other options or got some wrong? And does anyone else have a similar setup working?

In Summary:

• I don't mind using external displays for the eGPU.
  • I want to keep the dGPU when the eGPU is unplugged.
  • I don't want to restart the computer to switch between configurations.
  • I want to keep Optimus enabled to save power when unplugged.
  • I have an ExpressCard slot, but no Thunderbolt port.
  • My dGPU and eGPU will require different drivers even if they are both Nvidia. (Quadro NVS vs GeForce)
  • I have 16GB of RAM.

My laptop specifications:

• CPU: Intel Core i5-3380m @ 2.90 GHz
  • RAM: 16GB DDR3 in Dual-Channel Configuration.
  • iGPU: Intel HD 4000
  • dGPU: Nvidia NVS 5400M via Optimus.

Thanks and good day!

I have an HP 8460p, it is dual booting OSX and Win7 (so it is using UEFI). It has 16GB of ram and a PE4L 2.1b. I bought a EVGA GTX750ti, and followed all the steps in the DSDT override, got everything to compile and, loaded into the registry. I can see a new Large Memory entry in device manager (but no other Memory entries, which i think is correct. the guide just has two Intel HD graphics circled in red for some reason).

I have tried the fixes, removing Device manager entries/restarting/hot pnp. I still cannnot get the "Code 12" to go away. I was going to try the setup 1.30, but then I saw that it doesn't work for UEFI (although beta might?).

1) So my question is it possible to get the 750ti running on UEFI Win7 with 16GB ram?

2) Or should I eBay the 750ti and pick up a "GTX560Ti, GTX660, GTX660Ti GTX670, GTX760, GTX770", or some other card you recommend?

3) Is there any card/possibly of the eGPU and same card working on my OSX partition?

Well I ended up using the GTX750ti in my tower. I re-installed a fresh install of Win7 on my laptop (still UEFI). I am trying the ATI HD5670 I pulled out of the tower. I still get the code 12. I have tried hot booting and only turning it on when the windows 4 dots appear. Neither work. Do I need to do the DSDT override again?

Or is it just impossible to get ANY eGPU working on a UEFI Windows 7 8460p?

(I also have an HD5750 but I am waiting for a 6 pin power cable to arrive in the mail. I don't want to buy a GTX660 and still have the code 12)

This is an odd situation that is hard to answer, but I do not think you can have both cards render at the same time. Windows will ask you to select a primary display, and the gpu associated with that display will be the one that renders. With the internal screen set as primary the 650m should render both screens, and with the external screen as primary the 6850 should render both screens.

Your error in the Nvidia control panel is normal. Technically the HD 4000 is running the internal screen, but the 650m is feeding it all of its data and thus is doing the real work.

To switch between which card your system will use though, all you have to do is change the primary display. Both screens will always be displaying an image unless you set otherwise.

You may be able to set one screen as primary, launch a game, then switch to the other screen as primary, then launch another, and I think then that both cards will be running simultaneously. The first game might just crash though.

Thanks for your answer.

The weird thing is that when I have my LCD set as primary screen in windows and I run the Bioshock Infinite build-in benchmark, low preset full-hd, I get around 15 fps average, while before with the 650m, before I installed the eGpu, I got around 40 fps. And msi afterburner say that my iGpu is at 100% load. edit: Same for BF4

Thanks for your answer.

The weird thing is that when I have my LCD set as primary screen in windows and I run the Bioshock Infinite build-in benchmark, low preset full-hd, I get around 15 fps average, while before with the 650m, before I installed the eGpu, I got around 40 fps. And msi afterburner say that my iGpu is at 100% load. edit: Same for BF4

Hmm so the 650m is no longer running. In 3D options in the nvidia control panel there is an option towards the top for GPU selection. Make sure it is set to "high performance Nvidia".

Hmm so the 650m is no longer running. In 3D options in the nvidia control panel there is an option towards the top for GPU selection. Make sure it is set to "high performance Nvidia".

I already tried that, and thats whem I found that I cannot open Nvidia control panel because it gives the error message saying that there is no monitor connected to the gpu :(

I'm considering upgrading my graphics solution on my Lenovo ThinkPad T430 (IGP+GPU with Optimus) laptop because I want some of my games to run smoother. My laptop usually sits in the docking station when playing, so I don't mind having to use external displays. I sometimes game when undocked, but I can run at lower resolution.

See http://forum.techinferno.com/implementation-guides/7907-%5Bguide%[email protected]

I already tried that, and thats whem I found that I cannot open Nvidia control panel because it gives the error message saying that there is no monitor connected to the gpu :(

Uninstall existing NVidia drivers, then use DDU to clear out any driver remnants. Install latest NVidia desktop driver ensuring you check the 'clean install' option.

Connect up an ATX PSU and re-test. Suspect power issues. Also test mPCIe connection by booting with wifi card and hotswapping in PM3N.

Nvidia control panel now detected eGPU with new ATX PSU but when he try to access 3D settings page, he got BSOD. Already tried removing the driver using DDU & reinstall the driver. Below you can find video capture showing when it BSOD.

Simple File Sharing and Storage.

Uninstall existing NVidia drivers, then use DDU to clear out any driver remnants. Install latest NVidia desktop driver ensuring you check the 'clean install' option.

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately that didn't work. I uninstalled using DDU while in safe mode and installed version 347.25 after reboot again in safe mode.

Don't think its going to work in combination with the eGpu

Hello Everyone,

Finally got my GTX770 working on my Alienware M18XR1, did an dsdt overide as it was neccesary with 16GB ram, and connected it via expresscard, while using a hdmi cable from the GTX770 to my HDMI IN.

However i got one problem, and that is that it is running at PCI-E 1.0, i want to run it on PCI-E Gen 2, can anyone tell me how i do this? i tried setting the port to GEN 2 in nando's 1.x setup, but in gpu-z and aida64 it says it's still running at 1.0.

If someone could help me i would be really happy, i will also make a thread with alot of pictures!

Hello Everyone,

Finally got my GTX770 working on my Alienware M18XR1, did an dsdt overide as it was neccesary with 16GB ram, and connected it via expresscard, while using a hdmi cable from the GTX770 to my HDMI IN.

However i got one problem, and that is that it is running at PCI-E 1.0, i want to run it on PCI-E Gen 2, can anyone tell me how i do this? i tried setting the port to GEN 2 in nando's 1.x setup, but in gpu-z and aida64 it says it's still running at 1.0.

If someone could help me i would be really happy, i will also make a thread with alot of pictures!

Please obtain DIY eGPU Setup 1.30 and use it to do Gen2 switching.

Hello everyone!

New member here. I signed up so I could start this thread and get your experience. Thanks in advance for any and all help you can give me. :)

I travel the world in a 45 liter backpack, which is the maximum size for carry on compliance. Space and weight are my primary concerns here, which is why I really love what you're all doing here, with these portable solutions. There's a great deal of information here, and it's a little too technical for me, but from what I understand: In order to execute a system like this, I need these things:

1. Laptop
  2. GPU
  3. PSU for GPU
  4. Interface

I don't have any budget constraints, I only care about size, weight, the ability to upgrade, and efficiency. These are the components I'd like to start with, so please offer your suggestions and corrections if I've made a mistake:

1. 13/15'' Macbook Pro - It's the lightest system with the most capability, given the TB2 port
  2. GTX 980
  3. Quality PSU to power the thing, as small and light as possible

My first question is this: Do I need an enclosure? While it is a neat solution, it's not very practical for a backpacker like me. After putting the laptop, the GPU, and a power supply into my pack, I don't want to have to make room for another metal box if I can help it. I'm really looking to make all of this as packable as possible. From what I understand so far, I should just be able to hook everything up with the right cables, is that right?

Second question: I pretty much have to use the internal LCD on the Mac, for above stated reasons. But I've read that doing so causes a drop in FPS. Adding an external display makes things less portable, but spending $1000+ on a gaming solution shouldn't have me compromising on my gaming experience, either, you know? Can I use the Mac's display in any scenario that doesn't take away from my gameplay? If not, What kind of standards would an external display have to meet?

Third and last question (so far): How many generations of video cards can this set up last me, in your experience? I know nothing is certain, but rough estimates are welcome! :)

Thanks very much for taking the time to read and answer my questions, I really appreciate all your help.

-Wayfarer

Hello everyone!

New member here. I signed up so I could start this thread and get your experience. Thanks in advance for any and all help you can give me. :)

I don't have any budget constraints, I only care about size, weight, the ability to upgrade, and efficiency. These are the components I'd like to start with, so please offer your suggestions and corrections if I've made a mistake:

1. 13/15'' Macbook Pro - It's the lightest system with the most capability, given the TB2 port
  2. GTX 980
  3. Quality PSU to power the thing, as small and light as possible

My first question is this: Do I need an enclosure? While it is a neat solution, it's not very practical for a backpacker like me. After putting the laptop, the GPU, and a power supply into my pack, I don't want to have to make room for another metal box if I can help it. I'm really looking to make all of this as packable as possible. From what I understand so far, I should just be able to hook everything up with the right cables, is that right?

Second question: I pretty much have to use the internal LCD on the Mac, for above stated reasons. But I've read that doing so causes a drop in FPS. Adding an external display makes things less portable, but spending $1000+ on a gaming solution shouldn't have me compromising on my gaming experience, either, you know? Can I use the Mac's display in any scenario that doesn't take away from my gameplay? If not, What kind of standards would an external display have to meet?

-Wayfarer

Welcome Wayfare,

Since you travel a lot and size and weight are of great importance to you, I would suggest that you get a mini ITX GTX970 and save some space and money to invest into a quad 15" Macbook. You can check @ Implementations that there is no big performance difference between 970 and 980.

As you can see here (thanks to Tech Inferno Fan) most of them fit in an AKiTiO expansion box and if I am not mistaken some can even rely for the power draw from the slot to the 25W AKiTiO provides, while you use the Dell DA-2 for the 2 x 6-pin power requirements. You can check for more info here.

This way you have a nice portable setup saving space and weight in your backpack.

Nando, i already obtained it. However when i set it to gen 2 and reboot it doesnt show as gen 2.0 but 1.1 in gpu-z what could my problem be?

The speed will be x1 1.1 when you are on desktop, just for saving energy. Try TechPowerUp GPU-Z render test, under load, it will show x1 2.0.

The speed will be x1 1.1 when you are on desktop, just for saving energy. Try TechPowerUp GPU-Z render test, under load, it will show x1 2.0.

I tried this, but it's still x1 1.1 but when i set it to GEN 2 in egpu setup it says port succesfully set to GEN 2 speed.

After that i just exit the egpu setup and reboot my pc.

I tried this, but it's still x1 1.1 but when i set it to GEN 2 in egpu setup it says port succesfully set to GEN 2 speed.

After that i just exit the egpu setup and reboot my pc.

You do not reboot your machine after making changes using Setup 1.30. Instead, you Chainload your OS. Rebooting sees the PCIe config space reset back to bios defaults whereas chainloading maintains the changes made in Setup 1.30.

I'm having similar problems just with the exception that I wouldn't say that the crashes happen sometimes but actually quite frequently (once / twice per CSGo game). Switching to gen1 solves it but then bandwidth problem arises.

EXP GDC Beast, NVidia 560Ti, Dell 220W brick.

Actually thinking about buying PE4C V2.1...

PE4C V2.1b here, same problem.

"In Summary:

• I don't mind using external displays for the eGPU.
  • I want to keep the dGPU when the eGPU is unplugged.
  • I don't want to restart the computer to switch between configurations.
  • I want to keep Optimus enabled to save power when unplugged.
  • I have an ExpressCard slot, but no Thunderbolt port.
  • My dGPU and eGPU will require different drivers even if they are both Nvidia. (Quadro NVS vs GeForce)
  • I have 16GB of RAM.

"

With setup 1.3 you can disable the dGPU and use eGPU with the desktop driver (I use GTX 770). After rebooting to enable dGPU the dektop NVIDIA drivers work fine also with dGPU.

You must restart the computer to switch between configurations. My experience is with T430s 16GB RAM i7 and NVS 5200M. I could not make dGPU and eGPU work at the same time due to PCI address space limitations. I use EXP CDC with express card slot, DELL DA2, workes perfectly after understanding the need for setup 1.3 and changing out faulty SO-DIMMS that failed under heat.

Hi everyone,

Great discussion; lots of good information.

I would like to add a external graphics card (eGPU) to my Asus G74sx laptop via the mini PCIe slot. (No Expresscard or Thunderbolt option available).

Has anyone tried this on their G74?

The mini-PCI express slot where the WIFI antenna is located looks tight and the cables for the adapters looks stiff. Any suggestions?

post-32893-14494999359513_thumb.jpg

So, I ordered the PE4C-PM3E V1.2 @45.00=$15.00 because the cable was this and I can not get 2x.

I am considering using the ASUS or EVGA GeForce GTX 960 for about $209.00 has anyone tried this card?

Graphics Engine NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960, Bus Standard PCI Express 3.0, Video Memory GDDR5 2GB

Engine Clock OC Mode - GPU Boost Clock : 1317 MHZ , GPU Base Clock : 1253 MHz, Gaming Mode - GPU Boost Clock : 1291 MHZ , GPU Base Clock : 1228 MHz, CUDA Core 1024, Memory Clock 7200 MHz ( GDDR5 ), Memory Interface 128-bit, Interface DVI Output : Yes x 1 (DVI-I), HDMI Output : Yes x, (HDMI 2.0), Display Port : Yes x 3 (Regular DP), HDCP Support : Yes, Power 120 W

Any reasons not to use this card? Will the 970 work?

Is the best I could hope to achieve: PCIe 2.0 x1.2?

Will I need DIY eGPU Setup 1.30?

Thanks in advance for your reply's.

Computer

Model : ASUS G74Sx

Chassis : ASUS Notebook

Mainboard : ASUS G74Sx

BIOS : AMI (OEM) G74Sx.203 09/23/2011

Intel vPro : 7.00.10.1203

Total Memory : 12GB DDR3 SO-DIMM

Processors

Processor : Intel® Core i7-2670QM CPU @ 2.20GHz (4C 8T 3.09GHz, 3.1GHz IMC, 4x 256kB L2, 6MB L3)

Socket/Slot : FC PGA988

Chipset

Memory Controller : ASUS Core (Sandy Bridge) Mobile DRAM Controller 100MHz, 2x 6GB DDR3 SO-DIMM 1.33GHz 128-bit

Graphics Processor

OpenCL GP Processor :& Compute Shader Processor :& CUDA GP Processor : NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560M (192SP 4C 1.55GHz, 384kB L2, 3GB 2.5GHz 192-bit)

System Bus 1

Type : PCIe 2.00 x16 5Gbps

Multiplier : 3x

Bridge : Intel Core (Sandy Bridge) PCI Express Root Port

Device Connected : ASUS GF116M [GeForce GT 560M]

System Bus 2

Type : PCIe 2.00 x1 2.5Gbps

Bridge : Intel Cougar Point PCI Express Root Port 1

System Bus 3

Bridge : Intel Cougar Point PCI Express Root Port 2

Device Connected : AzureWave AR9002WB-1NG Wireless Network Adapter #1

System Bus 4

Bridge : Intel Cougar Point PCI Express Root Port 4

Device Connected : ASUS FL1000G USB 3.0 Host Controller

System Bus 5

Bridge : Intel Cougar Point PCI Express Root Port 6

Device Connected : ASUS U6V laptop

Network Services

Network Adapter : Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller (Ethernet, 1Gbps)

Wireless Adapter : Atheros AR9002WB-1NG Wireless Network Adapter

Chipset

Model : ASUS Core (Sandy Bridge) Mobile DRAM Controller

OEM Device Name : Intel Core (Sandy Bridge) Mobile DRAM Controller

Revision : A10

Bus : Intel CSI (Quick Path)

Front Side Bus Speed : 100MHz

Width : 20-bit / 20-bit

HTT - Hyper-Threading Technology : Yes

Maximum Bus Bandwidth : 400MB/s

Maximum Power : 3.400W

Chipset 1 Hub Interface

Type : DMI (Direct Media Interface)

Version : 1.00

No. Ports : 4

In/Out Width : 4-bit / 4-bit

Duplex : Yes

Multiplier : 6x

Speed : 200MHz

System Bus(es) on Hub 1

Version : 2.30

System Bus 0 : PCI

System Bus 1 : PCIe 2.00 x16 5Gbps

System Bus 2 : PCIe 2.00 x1 2.5Gbps

System Bus 3 : PCIe 2.00 x1 2.5Gbps

System Bus 4 : PCIe 2.00 x1 2.5Gbps

System Bus 5 : PCIe 2.00 x1 2.5Gbps

LPC Hub Controller 1

Model : ASUS HM65 LPC Controller

OEM Device Name : Intel HM65 LPC Controller

Revision : A6

Expansion Slot(s)

J5C1 : PCIe x16 +3.3V Shared PME Full Used

J6C2 (1h) : PCIe x1 +3.3V Shared PME Half Available

J6D2 (2h) : PCIe x1 +3.3V Shared PME Half Used

J7C1 (3h) : PCIe x1 +3.3V Shared PME Half Available

J7D2 (4h) : PCIe x1 +3.3V Shared PME Half Used

J6C1 (5h) : PCIe x1 +3.3V Shared PME Half Available

J8C2 (6h) : PCIe 32-bit +3.3V Shared PME Full Used

J6UB : PCIe x16 +3.3V Shared PME Full Available

J15BU (1h) : PCIe x4 +3.3V Shared PME Half Available

J13BU (2h) : PCIe x1 +3.3V Shared PME Half Available

Hello all.

I am new to this forum so I apologise if my question seems vague.

My setup:

PE4L with a Gigabyte NVIDIA GTX650 2GB DDR5 PCI-E Graphics Card

Lenovo T420 with default system BIOS

Intel® core i5-2520M 2.5GHz

6gb ram

NO dedicated graphics, but internal is Intel HD Graphics 3000

Windows 7 ultimate 64bit.

[h=1]ASUS VE247H 24 inch LED Widescreen Full HD 1080p[/h]

My egpu has been functioning from the very beginning, and for games it performs very well. However, if I am watching 1080p videos on youtube or downloaded movies, for example, there eventually comes a point where the entire playback becomes choppy and laggy. Also, all browsers seem to run quite slowly as well, even when switching to low ram usage browsers like opera. Even if I close all other applications the laptop really struggles. However, on my laptop LCD this does not seem to be a problem, only on my external monitor does this lag seem to occur.

I have been looking into the 1.x set ups but I am not sure if this is what I need. I tried to disable the igpu through device manager however that didn't seem to work as when I rebooted the laptop, my external monitor was not detected, and the resolution on my laptop was off.

I also read somewhere that somebody experiencing similar problems changed the express card speed to generation 1, which I have tried to no improvement.

Anyway, if anyone has some tips or suggestions on what I can try please let me know.

Thanks!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.