eGPU experiences [version 2.0]

Tech Inferno Fan

Ok, me once again. Just to make sure I didn't do anything wrong I've recorded all my attempts on video so I'd be glad if someone experienced could look at the videos below and tell me whether I did or did not screwed up something .

The delay switches on the EXP GDC are set then the system cold booted. You know if you have a 'good' switch setting when the GTX560Ti fans spin but do so in a much quieter manner than what you are seeing in

. In addition I can say that both EXP GDC and PE4C 2.1 will only power up the Dell DA-2 PSU upon detecting a signal from the EC slot. That may be a problem here. A PE4L 2.1b wired up via an ATX PSU will have the eGPU powered up and spinning before hotplugging/booting it. Then when the system boots and detects it correctly, the card's fan will slow down.

The delay switches on the EXP GDC are set then the system cold booted. You know if you have a 'good' switch setting when the GTX560Ti fans spin but do so in a much quieter manner than what you are seeing in
. In addition I can say that both EXP GDC and PE4C 2.1 will only power up the Dell DA-2 PSU upon detecting a signal from the EC slot. That may be a problem here. A PE4L 2.1b wired up via an ATX PSU will have the eGPU powered up and spinning before hotplugging/booting it. Then when the system boots and detects it correctly, the card's fan will slow down.

I don't think I quite follow the part about delay switches... I tried all combinations (as seen on video) and non of them worked. The behavior you're describing (slow spin up) is what was happening with the AMD R9 270 card (both GDC 6 and Beast) but had no effect on boot success.

Anyway, I'll think about bying PE4L 2.1 and trying that one... I just don't know whether it is really a good idea to put more money (PE4L, PSU, ...) into what is likely never going to work. If someone knew, however, how to buy it reasonably cheaply in Europe, please tell me.

I don't think I quite follow the part about delay switches... I tried all combinations (as seen on video) and non of them worked. The behavior you're describing (slow spin up) is what was happening with the AMD R9 270 card (both GDC 6 and Beast) but had no effect on boot success.

Anyway, I'll think about bying PE4L 2.1 and trying that one... I just don't know whether it is really a good idea to put more money (PE4L, PSU, ...) into what is likely never going to work. If someone knew, however, how to buy it reasonably cheaply in Europe, please tell me.

The expresscard is inserted into the machine and notebook powered down. Then a delay switch set on the EXP GDC and machine powered up and reviewed for functionality. If the fan still spins loudly then the machine is powered down and another delay switch setting tested.

In your video you are trying different delay switch settings while the machine is running, which is not going to achieve anything because the delay is there to either bypass BIOS restrictions of delay the first initialization of the card. Either of those are done on cold booting the machine.

The expresscard is inserted into the machine and notebook powered down. Then a delay switch set on the EXP GDC and machine powered up and reviewed for functionality. If the fan still spins loudly then the machine is powered down and another delay switch setting tested.

In your video you are trying different delay switch settings while the machine is running, which is not going to achieve anything because the delay is there to either bypass BIOS restrictions of delay the first initialization of the card. Either of those are done on cold booting the machine.

No, as it can be seen in first few minutes of the 560Ti video I'm trying all combinations with cold boot. I always set the delay switches, power up the machine (fans start to spin) and then (after some waiting) power down the machine (fans stop spinning)... and then repeat the process with a new delay configuration (I'm obviously not ejecting the EC card or Dell power brick).

Only after testing all cold boot combinations (4th minute) do I boot up with EC card ejected and test different combinations with the laptop running.

EDIT:

M6800 . i7 M4810MQ, 8Gb DDR3, M6100 + HD4600 + EXP GDC v6

I couldnt get windows to boot with eGPU plugged in - regardless of which combination I used in DIY eGPU Setup 1.x, meaning regardles of me disabling dGPU or not - eGPU plugged in EC results with some ACPI BSOD.

Once I'm in Windows - Sleep - plug in eGPU - works fine.

If Fast boot is enabled in BIOS - notebook wont go pass POST with eGPU plugged in, Fast Boot disabled - I can go past post and load up DIY eGPU Setup, but whatever i did - once windows loading starts - ACPI BSOD comes to kill my dreams and hopes.

So to conclude - eGPU plugged in - windows loading bsod rampage, Hotplugging within windows works like a charm.

So now I have GTX 760, FirePro M6100 and HD4600 working normally and when on external monitor I can use FirePro for rendering/stuff :)

I did some 3DMark testing and all the graphics scores are within 1-2% of my Latitude E5430 that worked plug and play and has 1.2 opt connection enabled. But I'm reluctant to say that optimus works on M6800 due to fact that little e5430 has an i3 3110M cpu which might be bottleneckin the score.

EDIT2: Whatever I do I receive BSOD that states something about ACPI if eGPU is plugged during during Windows loading proces, takes 1 second after Windows logo apears to BSOD.

I have tried various compaction configurations, ignoring/disabling dGPU

I can secesfuly disable AMD dGPU, but doing that prevents me from sending computer to sleep, which I think is connected to fact that even tho I can instal HD4600 and get it recognized in Device Manager with no errors, but drivers fail to initialize properly and there is no GPU Acceleration in windows. They behave like HD4600 is not installed at all.

Hotplugging when windows are on results in max fans on eGPU and thus eGPU not being registreted

Here are images that show what DIY eGPU Setup sees. When I disable dGPU and when iGPU, dGPU and eGPU.

Any ideas what to try?

post-11060-14494999178208_thumb.jpg

When just hotplugging eGPU when computer is in sleep and waking up it works fine but I think I'm not getting optimus enabled which is what I'm trying to do because I will most likely do testing for various GPUs in the future for a local eZine to help propagade eGPU and GTX980 and such would profit there.

On my haswell system I was only able to power up egpu gtx 760 via sleep - hot plugging on m6800. Cold booting and hot plugging resulted in max fan speeds. After bios reset cold boot was possible and egpu was detected in diy egpu setup but widows bsod and crash faster than i can register what it says and hot plugging in diy setup results in max fan speeds and egpu not being detected.

Sent from my C1905 using Tapatalk

post-11060-14494999177709_thumb.jpg

Hi,

Could anyone help me on this one?

Thanks a lot!

Cheers,

Gensc

Hi,

I have a Fujitsu Siemens Amilo Xi 3670 - QX9300 @ 3.9Ghz/GM45/8GB DDR3/ Intel 4000+NV130/ W8.1. I got an HD7850 work along with the notebook (exp gdc v6) and so everything is fine expect the fps. It is much better than the NV130 do not get me wrong, but the thing is, that the bandwidth is quite small and that is why I am here.

I was wondering if the eGPU Setup 1.30 could help on this a little? Any other solution?

Thanks for your reply in advance.

Regards,

Gensc

Hi,

I have a Fujitsu Siemens Amilo Xi 3670 - QX9300 @ 3.9Ghz/GM45/8GB DDR3/ Intel 4000+NV130/ W8.1. I got an HD7850 work along with the notebook (exp gdc v6) and so everything is fine expect the fps. It is much better than the NV130 do not get me wrong, but the thing is, that the bandwidth is quite small and that is why I am here.

I was wondering if the eGPU Setup 1.30 could help on this a little? Any other solution?

Thanks for your reply in advance.

Regards,

Gensc

Your explanation is very vague. Please do some benchmark and compare your results with similar systems (Implementations Hub).

I guess your Chipset is a ICH9M and you're limited to PCIe 1.1. By disabling the dGPU and using a NVIDIA eGPU you could benefit from optimus compression.

Ok, this is starting to get weird. Combining GDC Beast and EC2-HDMI cable from GDC 6 I managed to get the system booting without disabling stuff in BIOS _and_ with slow fans spin up which as @Tech Inferno Fan wrote indicates good setup. Unfortunately, however, the GPU still doesn't get recognized (in neither Device manager nor Setup 1.30).

@darkydark Wow, that actually works reliably, thank you so much!

@Tech Inferno Fan Now the problem is how to make PCI-compression (to resolve error 12) without eGPU plugged-in during boot up. Correct me if I'm wrong but DSDT override (via Setup 1.30) with setting the endpoint to 36-bit should do the trick on Win8.1 even without eGPU plugged in, right? And then Windows should be smart enough to allocate it in the empty space...

EDIT: Ok, so I'm currently having problems with DSDT override, to be more specific iasl compilation.

Errors: http://pastebin.com/6ebJLDb3

DSL file: http://www.n00bunlimited.net/pastebin.php?show=64365

BTW: I'm all for learning new stuff but I'm kinda in the middle of testing period at my university (real analysis, yay!) so if anyone would be willing to help me with the whole DSDT compiling stuff I'd be more than happy to pay him for it.

DSDT dump: http://1drv.ms/1ywOf4Y

---

Win 8.1 / Legacy BIOS / GRUB 2

For now i decided to put 1.2opt on hold in m6800 at least untill i get some new info or get an nvidia card mxm card. I did take a look at implementation for m6500 and noticed simmilar behaviour when i plug egpu in. Meaning that devices on pcie bus stop working and after a few seconds they end up working normally my conclusion is that windowa realocate a lot of busses in the background.

From what i can understand my DSDT override was unsecesfull due to fact that bios has dynamic TOLUD and I have no option to set it to manual/off

EDIT3: DSDT override caused BSODS due to old compiler used, download latest and it worked like a charm.

In the meantime i did try windows 8.1 and same behaviour occured as described in my previous post.

For my article i will be using m6600 with dgpu yanked out. For now it looks like its plug and play at least with 550ti and 760. Fingers crossed there wont be much to do once 980 lands.

Edit1:

Managed to disable dGPU and M6800 1.2 opt working

3dmark 06 around 29000

Will post detailed guide as a separate thread later on :-)

Edit2:

Guide is up, will be updated with more results later on.

Trick was to kill AMD dGPU - combined hints from older posts found around interwebs.

Hello . I need help connecting and configuring eGPU. The configuration of my laptop :

- Lenovo b570

- Core i5-2450m

- GeForce 410m

- Intel HD Graphics 3000

- 6 gb RAM

- Windows 7 Ultimate x64

I want to connect :

- PE4C-PM100C V2.1

- Gigabyte AMD Radeon HD7870

- FSP 400W

When I connect the card to the laptop and turn it , then run the video card , but Windows does not detect a new device. Tell me , what do I do ?

Tried to delete all video drivers . Even cut off the discrete graphics card in the BIOS - did not help .

I use a translator from Google, because I am from Belarus , so sorry if something is not clear. :)

Im new to the whole egpu thing, I was wondering If the g75vx was compatible ( as the only asus notebook I saw on this forum were g46 ).

Mine has thunderbolt but I dont know wich version , and there is no information anywhere for that.

thanks.

RE: http://forum.techinferno.com/diy-e-gpu-projects/8685-%5Bwip%5D-15-6-msi-ge60-gtx970%404gbps-c-mpcie2-pe4c-2-1-win7.html#post118456

@will97, Nice to see that you got it working. Can you comment on the gaming experience with it? How smooth is the framerate?

I got about the same 3dmark11 P Score on my desktop i5 with a mild overclock on the GPU (http://www.3dmark.com/3dm11/9307982)

Score seems fairly decent (just 10-20% lower than a high end desktop would get).

Hi everyone!

I have a hp elitebook 8440p and i would like to know, if it is possible for me to do a x2.1 configuration with my PE4C 2.1. In Aida64 there are 3 mpci-e ports listed:

PCI-E x1 port #1

PCI-E x1 port #2

PCI-E x1 port #4

My Express Card port is #2, this is the normal x1.1 way I use my eGPU (Gainward gtx 560).

In port #4 there is my wlan card (Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6200 AGN 2x2 HMC WiFi Adapter (Lenovo)), and in port #1 there is nothing shown, but physically, it is a normal size mpcie slot next to the half size wlan card and contains a Gobi 2000 WWAN.

My question is: can I use this port standalone or with the port #2 together for eGPU purposes?

Ok, I have three more questions:

1) Does DSDT loading via Setup 1.30 (pt MEM writefromfile...) work on Windows 8.1? The nando's "tutorial" speaks only about Windows 8.

2) What program do you use for .img edit (for copying the .aml file to it)? (Windows 8.1 doesn't want to mount it).

3) In case of normal DSDT loading (via ASL and testsigning) can something horrible happen (can it make system unbootable) or does at least safe mode boots up everytime?

3) In case of normal DSDT loading (via ASL and testsigning) can something horrible happen (can it make system unbootable) or does at least safe mode boots up everytime?

With testsigning disabled the DSDT override won't happen. A simple fallback solution is to copy your default boot entry via bcdedit and have one with testsigning enabled and one with testsigning disabled.

Even after successful override, my system became two times unbootable:

• when it came back from service
  • when my TOLUD changed magically without swapping memory in or out

• Thumbs Up 1

Hello,

I need help figuring out why Nvidia control panel displaying "not attached to any device" error even though Nvidia GT 640 was detected without any error in Device Manager & GPU-Z.

Thanks, :apple:

If the machine has a NVidia dGPU then ensure it's disabled completely by the bios or using Setup 1.30.

Then remove any previously installed NVidia drivers. Use DDU to be absolutely sure.

Then do a 'clean' install of 306.97WHQL http://forum.techinferno.com/diy-e-gpu-projects/6253-t500-compat-q-4500mhd-optimus-ends-306-97whql-3.html#post89243 . With that driver you can then confirm if you have an accelerated internal LCD mode to confirm eGPU functionality and work from there.

• Thumbs Up 1

Thanks, I've heard about DSDT backup. The only think I didn't understand about that is how do you recover from backup? From what I've found you need access to cmd to load bcedit bootentry which is kinda hard when you can't boot up Windows.

I've heard that it can be done via Win bootable flash drive & repair cmd, but would prefer to be sure before trying.

BTW: I'd still prefer the Setup 1.30 path, so the questions about whether it works with Win 8.1 & what exactly do you use to move .asl to image (wouldn't want to corrupt it) still stay.

BTW2: Thank you all very much for your help, don't know what would I do without you :).

BTW3: EXP GDC 6 sold.

If the machine has a NVidia dGPU then ensure it's disabled completely by the bios or using Setup 1.30.

Then remove any previously installed NVidia drivers. Use DDU to be absolutely sure.

Then do a 'clean' install of 306.97WHQL http://forum.techinferno.com/diy-e-gpu-projects/6253-t500-compat-q-4500mhd-optimus-ends-306-97whql-3.html#post89243 . With that driver you can then confirm if you have an accelerated internal LCD mode to confirm eGPU functionality and work from there.

Thanks. I'll forward this info to my friend.

Hello guys.

I got my 8800GT recognized in Device Manager, however i'm getting code 12 (cannot allocate resource blabla) while i'm having a TOLUD of 2.75GB.

I'm currently using 8GB ram and i am not able to remove some RAM because that would mean i would need to tear my whole m18x apart.

So i'm thinking i should do a DSDT OVERIDE, followed all steps, but whenever i start DSDT EDITOR.BAT it opens for 1 milisecond and then closes, so i'm not able to do anything!

Does anyone have any idea why it opens up for 1 mili second and then closes?

Kind regards,

Kamerplant

Hi nando,

The notebook in question doesn't have dGPU, only Intel GMA 4500M. We already tried 306.97 but still same issue. Also using DDU to uninstall drivers.

intel Pentium T4400 (2.2GHz, 800MHz FSB)

Chipset ICH9M

Bios is InsydeH20 Rev 3.5 V2.06

Intel GMA 4500M only

8GB DDR3 (4GB x 2pcs)

Windows 7 ultimate 64bit

eGPU used:

PE4L v2.1b with PM3N mPCIe

Asus GT640 DDR5 1GB (choose this coz low power draw only 70+w)

Power Supply is 12V 7A 84W DC connector with D.i.Y step down module to let it draw the 5v to 3.3v and connect with floopy molex

Also Tested with ATX power supply

Both Nvidia control panel & ASUS GPU Tweak unable to detect the device even though both Device Manager & GPU-Z detected eGPU. One more symptom, when trying to connect external monitor to eGPU, system black screen/crashed/BSOD.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.