eGPU experiences [version 2.0]

Tech Inferno Fan

Hi, I am looking to buy a th05 (or anything that will let me connect pci-e card to macbook pro at 5Gbps+) at reasonable price (Max $100), me and my friend are working on a usb3.1 egpu solution and I need to connect pci-e card to my macbook, please send me offers.

Planning my next laptop upgrade was looking also for the eGPU market.

My interest is to find small and midrange cost Win laptop, not a mobile workstation or gaming rig, to be powered with eGPU.

Can't find a real solution. Thunderbolt ports are only on costly workstation or high end laptop, also can't find any statistics about mPCIe diffusion on the market.

So here my questions:

- there are any reliable source to find laptops with mPCIe port, without digging into laptop spec sheet?

- TB port limit is cost, that push his adoption only to high cost laptop. Did you see any reason for upcoming change in this situation?

- any upcoming free standard that can bypass previous problems? Did read about USB 3.1 to PCIe adapter but appear to me a DIY solution that can't be standardized

Here is a list of all laptops with TB available in germany. So you have an idea what is on the market:

Notebooks mit Anschlüsse: Thunderbolt Preisvergleich | Geizhals Deutschland

Interesting thanks. Appear Win notebook with TB are bulky gaming/workstation version.

Can't find any mPCIe spec, no way to find this kind of select box based filter?

Hi everyone! I'm back again after not being able to play with any of my projects for a while. I had a 780Ti working perfectly on my Asus G46VW and I upgraded to a 970 for many reasons. Well long story short Windows 8.1 is not playing nice at all with my thunderbolt setup and to make matters even more interesting neither will any other cards aymore (after the I played around with the 970). I went back to using Setup 1.x and it's quite spotty for some reason. The only way to get the 970 to work (sometimes) is to disable the dGPU first then initialize the eGPU. I use to do a compact while ignoring the dGPU, disable eGPU then compact again with iGPU and eGPU. That method seemed to work every time. I know another guy on here has a working eGPU setup using the same laptop as me but different TB hardware.

So anyways, I have read through all the literature again seeing as I haven't used Setup 1.x in so long.. I feel like I am missing a very small step to get this to work reliably. I will post information about my setup and hardware details below in a little bit. I would appreciate any help in the correct direction :)

HM77: gen=2 p=8 TOLUD:2.000GB

DSDT: no

PCIw: no

I have a bios where I can customize the TOLUD, not sure if that is worth a shot.

EDIT: also, any information I should be including with my post I will fix it right away. I explained my steps I used to take to get it working in the past with a 780ti

So I am very new to all of this eGPU stuff, and I've got an old 2009 Sony VAIO (VPCF111FX) with 8 GB of RAM installed and an Nvidia 310m dGPU.

I got myself one of the newest eGPU boards from B+ with an express card adapter.

I'm a pretty standard computer user, but I have somewhat of an idea about what I'm doing. I also follow instructions rather well to the extend of my computer DOS language limitations, but all the n00b aside, I have been trying to install a GTX 760 to my computer. I'm pretty sure I have everything I need, and I've gotten to the point where the option for larger memory shows up in my preference pane for device settings when I go to connections by memory.

But obviously when I finally get my laptop to read the card code 12 just pops up and screws me.

I have yet to try the DIY eGPU Setup 1.3 process, I have a feeling this might be the source of all my problems but I'm not ready to settle for $25 when so many sources say that by this point I should already be able to use this new card.

The computer reads it, everything is plugged in and the drivers have been installed and the other card was disabled.

What am I doing wrong?

*Don't have pictures of 760 showing up because I'm enjoying it on a desktop right now but it's not mine so I really would like to get this running on my VAIO... Am I doomed?

post-32257-14494999075824_thumb.jpg

post-32257-14494999076965_thumb.jpg

post-32257-14494999078231_thumb.jpg

post-32257-1449499907932_thumb.jpg

post-32257-1449499908054_thumb.jpg

Hi, I have a HP-G4 2008tx with i5-3210m. My laptop only has 1 m-pcie slot which is used as wwan card and i know the slot is whitelisted by the manufacturer. is it possible if i used msi ati r6870 as the egpu ? Because i found on the first page saying that i5-3210 is the third generation and has intel series 7 chipset and my m-pcie slot is version 2.0 (if im not mistaken) and works best with nvidia card(fermi version?).

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

So I am very new to all of this eGPU stuff, and I've got an old 2009 Sony VAIO (VPCF111FX) with 8 GB of RAM installed and an Nvidia 310m dGPU.

I got myself one of the newest eGPU boards from B+ with an express card adapter.

I'm a pretty standard computer user, but I have somewhat of an idea about what I'm doing. I also follow instructions rather well to the extend of my computer DOS language limitations, but all the n00b aside, I have been trying to install a GTX 760 to my computer. I'm pretty sure I have everything I need, and I've gotten to the point where the option for larger memory shows up in my preference pane for device settings when I go to connections by memory.

But obviously when I finally get my laptop to read the card code 12 just pops up and screws me.

I have yet to try the DIY eGPU Setup 1.3 process, I have a feeling this might be the source of all my problems but I'm not ready to settle for $25 when so many sources say that by this point I should already be able to use this new card.

The computer reads it, everything is plugged in and the drivers have been installed and the other card was disabled.

What am I doing wrong?

*Don't have pictures of 760 showing up because I'm enjoying it on a desktop right now but it's not mine so I really would like to get this running on my VAIO... Am I doomed?

It depends on what processor does your laptop have. If it is at least 1st gen (Arandale), then there would be no problem running the graphics card with laptop screen.

Also, did you try these steps:

1- Right after the bios startup screen, press F8 to enter Advanced Boot options.

2- Connect the eGPU to the laptop.

3- Select "Start Windows Normally" option.

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <o:OfficeDocumentSettings> <o:AllowPNG/> </o:OfficeDocumentSettings> </xml><![endif]--> Hi,

I was looking for a solution to connect a egpu to a mini pci-e slot that is hard to get to, in this case one in an Asus N53SN (I can only use it if the laptop is partially disassembled). I came across this on ebay "Mini PCIe to ExpressCard 34/54mm Adapter Card USB3.0 cable Connect". I could use this and mod a hdd caddy to fit the USB cable creating something like Sonys Z2 lightpeak port. This to me looks like the equivalent of one of those pcie to USB3 risers used for mining but in this case made for laptops. Could this be good for 2x speeds? Would it be stable? It would be fun to try it but I would like some technical options about it.

@ha1o2surfer

Hi Buddy!

I'm running a GTX970 on my G46VW, one thing I always have to for it to work is this (no setup 1.x required for me, BIOS v209):

1. Boot w/o eGPU attached

2. Connect eGPU (with it a monitor attached) -> GPU fan spins up and then settles, no output external monitor

3. Safe remove method and disconnect eGPU/TB-cable

4. Re-connect eGPU/TB-cable, GPU spins up again, settles and external screen output works.

It's worth a try at least!

@ha1o2surfer

Hi Buddy!

I'm running a GTX970 on my G46VW, one thing I always have to for it to work is this (no setup 1.x required for me, BIOS v209):

1. Boot w/o eGPU attached

2. Connect eGPU (with it a monitor attached) -> GPU fan spins up and then settles, no output external monitor

3. Safe remove method and disconnect eGPU/TB-cable

4. Re-connect eGPU/TB-cable, GPU spins up again, settles and external screen output works.

It's worth a try at least!

Hey Man! Love your eGPU write up on the G46VW. That is some impressive work and laid out very cleanly. Much better than I what I posted! Congrats!

So... I tried what your steps on your write up and no go, so I got to work this morning and tried it again.. and bam... it works. I just can't get Optimus to work reliably. idk what I did wrong before.. I'll give this fix to you! Thanks man :)

• Thumbs Up 1

Hey Man! Love your eGPU write up on the G46VW. That is some impressive work and laid out very cleanly. Much better than I what I posted! Congrats!

So... I tried what your steps on your write up and no go, so I got to work this morning and tried it again.. and bam... it works. I just can't get Optimus to work reliably. idk what I did wrong before.. I'll give this fix to you! Thanks man :)

Heey, that's great news!

It's kind of a random "fix" but I don't consider it a mayor problem. Thanks for the kind words!

Please do share eventual findings regarding optimus.

Hi, I am looking to buy a th05 (or anything that will let me connect pci-e card to macbook pro at 5Gbps+) at reasonable price (Max $100), me and my friend are working on a usb3.1 egpu solution and I need to connect pci-e card to my macbook, please send me offers.

That sounds very interesting, are you coding PCIe low level drivers for the new USB 3.1 standard?

Max $100 can be hard to find when talking thunderbolt, I'd gladly loan you my Thundertek PX if it wasn't to be included in a Mac Mini eGPU project.

Currently, we are planing to simulate a pci-e slot (this should work in linux according to my research but it might be problematic on windows and mac), which can be done by linux kernel module. I didn't have much time to do proper research yet (school). I'll also have to learn a lot of C stuff, I worked with c++ and made couple games in C# but pure c will be a new thing for me so that will take some time too. In worst case we could add support for our device to a custom kernel (again not compatible with mac), I am open to any suggestions, I did also look at some stuff about 3380 but I couldn't find any detailed information like if it does register as pci device or usb etc... , Regarding the thunderbolt, I guss I will have to look at ebay or hope someone updated from old sonnet or th05 to akitio.

Heey, that's great news!

It's kind of a random "fix" but I don't consider it a mayor problem. Thanks for the kind words!

Please do share eventual findings regarding optimus.

No matter what, every time I run a compaction, windows fails to boot. It gets stuck at the windows logo and I have to shut it off. I am making a fresh UEFI install of Windows on a flash drive right now to rule out my current OS being weird.

No matter what, every time I run a compaction, windows fails to boot. It gets stuck at the windows logo and I have to shut it off. I am making a fresh UEFI install of Windows on a flash drive right now to rule out my current OS being weird.

I never got so far as using Optimus tbh. If you need (I don't think you do) there is guide in my thread regarding a fresh install of win 8.1 instead of 8.

Sent from my iPhone

I never got so far as using Optimus tbh. If you need (I don't think you do) there is guide in my thread regarding a fresh install of win 8.1 instead of 8.

Sent from my iPhone

Oh Sorry, I say Windows 8 but I really mean 8.1 uEFI. I got optimus to work once but the minute a high 3D load is put on the card, the thundertek lights flicker and the computer crashes. I thought it was a power issue but this same setup worked for a 780Ti :P so, I am trying again and attaching the 12 volt DC of the thundertek to my Power Supplies 12 volt rail.

It depends on what processor does your laptop have. If it is at least 1st gen (Arandale), then there would be no problem running the graphics card with laptop screen.

Also, did you try these steps:

1- Right after the bios startup screen, press F8 to enter Advanced Boot options.

2- Connect the eGPU to the laptop.

3- Select "Start Windows Normally" option.

I am currently trying this now, but I've got an Intel Core i7 - 720QM 1.6ghz

UPDATE: So it looks like it was a power issue. the GTX 970 has lots of small spikes which caused my PSU to shut off. Weird.. I am now using a Corsair 450 watt and all is well! Man.. so annoying tracking down an issue that happens only *somtimes* hehe

EDIT: Ok so optimus works perfectly. This time it doesn't work just with Windows 8.1 uEFI. You need Setup 1.x to get this working. (for maxwell cards and a G46VW)

1) boot into Setup 1.x

2) First, Disable the dGPU (or choose on-demoted if you want to use it for physx)

3) Init. the eGPU

4) chainload into windows (or edit your startup.bat at this time for easier eGPU...ing hehe)

and there is optimus.. :) not too much work, I don't really care doing it this way. Works fine for me.

Also if you want to use your eGPU without shutting down the laptop (this only seems to work with Maxwell cards FYI)

1) disable your dGPU in the Windows Device Manager

2) plug in your eGPU and connect an external screen.. done

3) unplug your eGPU then renable your dGPU and now you are back to optimus again on the dGPU

( I have not found a way to enable optimus without shutting down the laptop....)

• Thumbs Up 1

Hi I have 10 yo notebook from Compal HGL31, Intel ICH7 and 945 Express onboard graphics card. T7200 Core2Duo 2.0 Ghz and 2x2Gb DDR3.

Win 8.1 64 bit installed on SSD.

I finally success to get my CHEAP diy egpu working.

My setup :

1. Mini PCI-E PCI express to PCI-E 1X 36Pin USB Card adapter Riser Extender $9

[ATTACH=CONFIG]13607[/ATTACH]

2. 1X To 16X PCI-E Extension Flex Cable 32 Bits PCI Extender Adapter $2.37

[ATTACH=CONFIG]13608[/ATTACH]

Just cost me only $11.37 for order in ebay.

I pair with ASUS HD5450 and small PSU from 3.5 USB HDD case 24W. TDP for HD5450 only 19Watt :)

[ATTACH=CONFIG]13609[/ATTACH]

AMD Radeon Autodetect card and install driver for EGPU.

post-32291-14494999114791_thumb.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

post-32291-14494999115016_thumb.jpg

post-32291-14494999120129_thumb.jpg

Run Perfectly on Samsung LCD 17 inch. Games and performance still on benchmarking..

• Thumbs Up 1

Hi everyone! I have managed to set up a GTX 970 through Thunderbolt, and have it showing in the device manager with no errors. Whenever I connect my monitor to the card, the monitor does not appear in Device Manager, so I cannot get the card to output. Also, my Nvidia Control Panel isn't opening - I suspect the two problems may be related. Does anyone know why this could be happening?

just consider of buying the eGPU, i have asus g73sw with gtx 460m on it, and i want to use my eGPU with the mPCIe port, it look's that PE4L v2.1 support up to gen3, is it true? is anyone had already done gen3 with this model? if comparing PE4L v2.1 vs PE4C v2.1, which one is recommended? thanks

just consider of buying the eGPU, i have asus g73sw with gtx 460m on it, and i want to use my eGPU with the mPCIe port, it look's that PE4L v2.1 support up to gen3, is it true? is anyone had already done gen3 with this model? if comparing PE4L v2.1 vs PE4C v2.1, which one is recommended? thanks

The card will only run up to gen2. You will also need to disable or physically remove the 460m to get the optimus performance benefits. Nando4's setup program can disable the card.

- - - Updated - - -

Hi everyone! I have managed to set up a GTX 970 through Thunderbolt, and have it showing in the device manager with no errors. Whenever I connect my monitor to the card, the monitor does not appear in Device Manager, so I cannot get the card to output. Also, my Nvidia Control Panel isn't opening - I suspect the two problems may be related. Does anyone know why this could be happening?

Have you installed a graphics driver for the 970?

The card will only run up to gen2. You will also need to disable or physically remove the 460m to get the optimus performance benefits. Nando4's setup program can disable the card.

- - - Updated - - -

Have you installed a graphics driver for the 970?

so, those 2 model is just the same that can only running up to gen2? hmm, i need to disable the 460m to use my eGPU properly? btw when using the eGPU, the performance of the graphic card will be adjusted to just only 50% of desktop pc appliance? sorry if asking so many question

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.