eGPU experiences [version 2.0]

Tech Inferno Fan

hi all,

does anyone have anything to say about the following setup:

EXP GDC Beast (via expressCard)

nVidia Quadro (k2200 or k4000)

running on i7 quad (e.g., 4810mq)

first question is: what would be the best way to power the eGPU? i know most people here use the GTX series, but for a 3d modeling application, I am under the impression that the Quadro drivers are unbeatable. but setting that debate aside, does anyone know if the quadro drivers are compatible with this hardware? would the Optimus work for the internal LCD?

This one answers the first two questions: http://forum.techinferno.com/implementation-guides/7091-%5Bguide%5D-14-lenovo-l440-quadro-k2000%404gbps-c-ec2-exp-gdc-v6-win7.html#post97566 . Doesn't specify if internal LCD mode works or not but my understanding from reading about ZBooks with Quadro graphics is they support Optimus.

Given your requirement for workstation graphics, I'd suggest purchasing a PE4C V2.1 over a EXP GDC Beast. From my testing I found the PE4V V2.1 has better Gen2 signal integrity than an older EXP GDC V6 on my Dell E6440. With that, I mean the EXP GDC V6 will occasionally glitch with a "NVidia driver has stopped responding" and attempt to correct itself presumably during signal retransmission. That error didn't occur with the PE4C V2.1.

I have no updates on whether the newer EXP GDC Beast corrects that or not. Therefore, I position the PE4C V2.1 as the safer bet for Gen2 signalling. It costs like $15-$20 more. Worth it imo. REF: http://forum.techinferno.com/enclosures-adapters/7941-bplus-pe4c-2-x-discussion.html

This one answers the first two questions: http://forum.techinferno.com/implementation-guides/7091-%5Bguide%5D-14-lenovo-l440-quadro-k2000%404gbps-c-ec2-exp-gdc-v6-win7.html#post97566 . Doesn't specify if internal LCD mode works or not but my understanding from reading about ZBooks with Quadro graphics is they support Optimus.

Given your requirement for workstation graphics, I'd suggest purchasing a PE4C V2.1 over a EXP GDC Beast. From my testing I found the PE4V V2.1 has better Gen2 signal integrity than an older EXP GDC V6 on my Dell E6440. With that, I mean the EXP GDC V6 will occasionally glitch with a "NVidia driver has stopped responding" and attempt to correct itself presumably during signal retransmission. That error didn't occur with the PE4C V2.1.

I have no updates on whether the newer EXP GDC Beast corrects that or not. Therefore, I position the PE4C V2.1 as the safer bet for Gen2 signalling. It costs like $15-$20 more. Worth it imo. REF: http://forum.techinferno.com/enclosures-adapters/7941-bplus-pe4c-2-x-discussion.html

I'd be delighted to give a Gen2 set up a shot, but it is my first time with an eGPU and others have already seemed to have trouble with it. Also, isn't there a restriction with the newest generation intel chips? i am purchasing a laptop with an eGPU set up in mind -- was going to stick to Dell e-series. but maybe i should go with an older model that can handle an older chip? What would you recommend as far as stable set up for gen2 pcie?

I've been running a ThinkPad W520 with an Nvidia GTX 660 via a PE4L 2.1b for over a year now and it has been great.

I'd been using the R331 drivers for the entire time but recently I tried to update to more modern drivers and tried 344.75, 340.52 and 337.88. All work fine from a cold boot but all also have the same problem that when I try to resume from standby the GPU seems to not wake up.

When I power on the PE4L red LED turns off so it looks like it's talking to the laptop but neither the laptop LCD nor my external LCDs get any signal. Eventually I have to hard power-off the laptop and restart to get back to a working desktop.

Does anyone know why this would be?

Is there something special about the R331 drivers?

This may or may not be related but I also noticed that when I remove the eGPU ExpressCard and cold boot Windows can also no longer see my dGPU despite it being detected in Setup 1.3x (and not specifically disabled).

15% OFF your order (up to $15) Code: GIVETHANKS @ Superbiiz

Lucky US/Canadians can get a Zotac GTX970 for US$315-delivered with this coupon code. Same $15 off applies to other GTX970 cards by MSI, Gigabyte, EVGA, or even other graphics cards like a GTX760/GTX980, R9 280x.

Before you ask, they don't do international shipping. Unfortunately.

Hi all,

Been scimming over all of this in hopes of following this great thread:

http://forum.techinferno.com/implementation-guides/3728-%5Bguide%5D-15-lenovo-w530-gtx780%404gbps-c-ec2-pe4l-2-1b-win7.html

And to hopefully follow up with a more recent benchmark test with setting of common games as a more "realistic" evaluation.

Unfortunately, I'm still in the gathering state, and google doesn't seem to give reliable buying sources for the PE4L 2.1 (one site linked to a sketchy half chinese site that just linked to paypal)

Was going to PM Tech Inferno Fan for a more reliable link and to grab the software, but it seems I do not have enough posts currently to do so.

Only question I had was in regards to a recommended PSU for the 780 Ti. I'm not finding too much information on that side.

In regards to the pc, seems a-okay to go. Got all the options in bios to turn off the gpu and free up some of the bus, got the external monitor so I don't even have to worry about on board playing, got the pci-e port, it's on the recommended list, got it all ready to go in my pc I think.

-Moartuba

You buy the adapter there:

PE4L: PE4L-EC060A V2.1

PE4C: PE4C V2.0

As you can see, the PE4C is a bit more evolved adapter and is handier if you put the graphics card in. There is no performance difference, though, so it doesn't matter which one you take.

I think you don't need Setup 1.3 as you can disable the dGPU in your BIOS like you said. Wait with the purchase until you tried to run it the first time and if it doesn't work you can still get the software, nando is sending it shortly after payment.

A good 450-500W PSU should be capable of running your GPU without problems. Check for bequiet or SeaSonic PSUs, they're good but check for ratings on several sites before purchase. Maybe a 400W PSU is enough, too, but I can't tell exactly.

Hi all,

Been scimming over all of this in hopes of following this great thread:

http://forum.techinferno.com/implementation-guides/3728-%5Bguide%5D-15-lenovo-w530-gtx780%404gbps-c-ec2-pe4l-2-1b-win7.html

And to hopefully follow up with a more recent benchmark test with setting of common games as a more "realistic" evaluation.

Unfortunately, I'm still in the gathering state, and google doesn't seem to give reliable buying sources for the PE4L 2.1 (one site linked to a sketchy half chinese site that just linked to paypal)

Was going to PM Tech Inferno Fan for a more reliable link and to grab the software, but it seems I do not have enough posts currently to do so.

Only question I had was in regards to a recommended PSU for the 780 Ti. I'm not finding too much information on that side.

In regards to the pc, seems a-okay to go. Got all the options in bios to turn off the gpu and free up some of the bus, got the external monitor so I don't even have to worry about on board playing, got the pci-e port, it's on the recommended list, got it all ready to go in my pc I think.

-Moartuba

PE4L 2.1b and PE4C 2.1 are available on ebay as well as BPlus' webstore. PE4C V2.1 is at this point in time the best EC/mPCIe adapter with ATX or Dell DA-2 PSU connectivity. I've had Gen2 signalling issues with my EXP GDC V6 which I'm not sure if are resolved in the V7/Beast. Unlike PE4L 2.1, PE4C V2.1 can also use multi-rail PSUs.

A highly overclocked GTX780 requires 283W peak power. Meaning, a PSU capable of delivering more than 12V/25A would be sufficient. Eg: US$16-AR 12V/34A EVGA 100-W1-0430-KR.

If you are referring to DIY eGPU Setup 1.30, the details of how to acquire the software are at DIY eGPU Setup 1.30 .

Hi guys.

I'm gonna put this question out here:

Do anyone have the knowledge of modding the output voltage of an AC-adapter?

I'm currently interested in the 19.5v 16.9A M18x XM3C3 PSU (this is not the DA-2)

PA-7E.jpg

GOAL

I want to modify the output voltage of this adapter from 19.5V to ~12.7V while maintaining the 330W max output.

An interesting video touching the subject can be found at youtube here:

If there is anyone having some ideas how or if this can be achieved, please let me know!

I'm not interested in using any adapting/convering board, I want to modify the internal components.

//Jacobsson

EDIT: This seems very possible by resistor modding, one unit is coming my way!

EDIT2: Read that this PSU can be pushed up to 440W!

Hello everybody? I'm here because I'm thinking of putting together a eGPU for my notebook. I would like your help before I start buying the products.

Well, I have some questions before mounting my eGPU and are these: I own the Acer Notebook Aspire E1-571-6404 which by the way is an excellent notebook when released in his time, I know he has an input PCIe 1.0 where is connected the WLAN, but that's not the problem but rather the choice of eGPU. I'm thinking about getting a PE4C V 2.1 because it already comes with a supporter to the GPU (and be cheaper too, the money is tight hehe). I would like to know what you think of this Board and we will serve well in my notebook and another, own a GTX 580 of Gigabyte model Windforce and was thinking about getting a 500W PSU real, do you think it is too much or I can get a model with fewer watts? I thank you and sorry for my English!

heya,

i was trolling aliexpress and i stumbled apon this

It-go notebook pci slot laptop pci express external sound card graphics card its US$180 without shipping

and

EXP GDC Laptop External External PCI-E graphics card BEAST Mini PCI-E Set its US$50 without shipping

i hope it helps anyone looking for this sort of thing

PE4L 2.1b and PE4C 2.1 are available on ebay as well as BPlus' webstore. PE4C V2.1 is at this point in time the best EC/mPCIe adapter with ATX or Dell DA-2 PSU connectivity. I've had Gen2 signalling issues with my EXP GDC V6 which I'm not sure if are resolved in the V7/Beast. Unlike PE4L 2.1, PE4C V2.1 can also use multi-rail PSUs.

A highly overclocked GTX780 requires 283W peak power. Meaning, a PSU capable of delivering more than 12V/25A would be sufficient. Eg: US$16-AR 12V/34A EVGA 100-W1-0430-KR.

If you are referring to DIY eGPU Setup 1.30, the details of how to acquire the software are at DIY eGPU Setup 1.30 .

Thanks so much! Im having trouble finding your machine specs on the w530 though. I want to know what PCI-E you have lane width wise because I think the machine number on that is now on an x model? (just slight googling).

I'm asking because I want to know what kind of bottling I would see since my gpu-z tells me I have a PCI-E 2.0 x16 @ x16 2.0 (fluctuates between 2.0 and 1.1 from the optimus I'm sure). I would assume little to no throttling since @x16 is the normal bus width. But is there anything more to the PCI-E that might cap me on a GTX 780 Ti?

- - - Updated - - -

heya,

It-go notebook pci slot laptop pci express external sound card graphics card its US$180 without shipping

and

EXP GDC Laptop External External PCI-E graphics card BEAST Mini PCI-E Set its US$50 without shipping

In regards to the second link, Tech Inferno Fan commented a page back or so about hiccups on beast PCI-E adapters having a hiccup in version 6 or so that randomly cutting connection and didn't know if it was fixed in version 7.

The first link honestly just looks sketchy to me. The cost alone wouldn't cover a decent case of that size I would think but I also don't read chinese or Taiwanese lol so I have no clue

- - - Updated - - -

heya,

and

In regards to the second link, Tech Inferno Fan commented a page back or so about hiccups on beast PCI-E adapters having a hiccup in version 6 or so that randomly cutting connection and didn't know if it was fixed in version 7.

The first link honestly just looks sketchy to me. The cost alone wouldn't cover a decent case of that size I would think but I also don't read chinese or Taiwanese lol so I have no clue

Hello: Nando

I Need You Help, How I Setup My ExpressCard eGPU With My Internal LCD, I Want To Used With My Internal LCD

My Baby Is Dell E6440

Please Help Me

Thank You

Hello: I Need Help With DIY eGPU Software. I Need To Setup This Software To Work With My Internal LCD

Please Help

Thank You

If you have the dGPU-model E6440 then you do Video Cards->dGPU[off] in Setup 1.30. All dGPUs must be disabled for the NVidia Optimus driver to engage. NVidia Optimus requires a Intel iGPU + NVidia GTS450 or newer eGPU.

You'll know if Optimus is working when you see a Nvidia Control Panel -> Manage 3D Settings -> Select Preferred graphics processor for program setting like shown below. Ensure the app you are running on the internal LCD is listed and set to High-performance NVIDIA processor for it to be accelerated by the eGPU.

virtualboxsettings1.png

Hello everybody? I'm here because I'm thinking of putting together a eGPU for my notebook. I would like your help before I start buying the products.

Well, I have some questions before mounting my eGPU and are these: I own the Acer Notebook Aspire E1-571-6404 which by the way is an excellent notebook when released in his time, I know he has an input PCIe 1.0 where is connected the WLAN, but that's not the problem but rather the choice of eGPU. I'm thinking about getting a PE4C V 2.1 because it already comes with a supporter to the GPU (and be cheaper too, the money is tight hehe). I would like to know what you think of this Board and we will serve well in my notebook and another, own a GTX 580 of Gigabyte model Windforce and was thinking about getting a 500W PSU real, do you think it is too much or I can get a model with fewer watts? I thank you and sorry for my English!

TDP of this card appear to be 244w and will be not at 100% all the time, so even a 350w PSU need to be enough.

@Tech Inferno Fan

Using an external LCD is unfortunately not an option for me. Can you explain why setting 60 FPS limit would help? I'm nowhere near this figure, for example I ran NFS Shift 2 with GT525M at around 35 FPS, now with GTX 750 that outputs to internal LCD it drops to 20-25 with the same settings, and when I connect it to the TV, it runs similarly to the GT525M at 35 FPS with same resolution and details. Most other games behave differently though(Dota 2 runs at 45 internal and jumps up to 100 when using TV). I am gonna grab the Setup 1.30 and see what happens.

@Kaas93

The GPU works and can output to both internal and external LCD, it only has bad performance(pretty much no advantage over the GT525M). My bios has only boot device priority settings.

Hello, after setting up gen2 speed in Setup 1.30 the performance really improved, but I'm getting very frequent BSODs, sometimes the game runs for 15 minutes and sometimes it crashes during loading. Is there a fix for this? I read it is a problem with Nvidia drivers, so would getting an AMD help? (However, do AMDs support output to internal LCD?)

Thanks

hello, I would not know which one to choose between these 3 Adapter, I have a notebook MSI GE-60 apache pro and I would take a graphics card Gainward GTX 970 4GB

PE4H (PCIe passive adapter ver2.4)

PE4H ( PCIe passive adapter ver2.4 )

PE4L V2.1 (PCIe Adapter)

PE4L V2.1 (PCIe Adapter )

ARES 7.0 (EXP GDC Laptop External PCI-E Graphics Card Mini PCI-E Set)

EXP GDC Laptop External PCI-E Graphics Card Mini PCI-E Set -

using SiSoft I contralateral I 3 doors MPCI 2.0 (5GBP) chipset HM87

if someone could help me I would be grateful

Thank you very much and sorry for linglese

Hi Guys!

I'm new to the forum and I'm glad to be here!

I got a HP Elitebook 8460p with an i7 2620m and a HD6470m GPU.

I found the Post of Bjorm here at TI and as far as I understand his 8460p got the Intel GPU HD3000 at the Processor instead of an HD6470m. I read through 2 other forums so far but I couldn't find a setup with an HD6470m with an eGPU.

Does someone know if my setup is possible?

The problem of my setup would be that I have no Intel GPU in my Notebook to use Optimus. And the other problem would be that I have to deactivate my HD6470m in order to use an eGPU. But if I deactivate the HD6470m my Notebook wouldn't power up because no GPU is detected at all.

My TOLUD is 3GB and I got an expresscard slot. I guess the PE4L 2.1b adapter would be the best for this setup and I guess to find the right power supply isn't the hardest part.

I really appreciate any help in any form!

Hallo TI Member

Just want to know, is there any good to use a mini Titan ( GTX 780 ) on PE4C V2.1 for PCIE 2.0 and in x1 Line..?

Can I get at least 70% of the GTX 780 Performance..?

My Laptop Spec :

- Sony Vaio SVZ ( Z3 2012 )

- intel HD 4000

- HM 77 Chipset

Thanks

Hi guys,

I have an issue with setting up my system and since Google seems to not know answer to my question, I would like to ask you for a help. I plugged in following setup:

Thinkpad X220 (latest bios)

8 GB RAM (tolud seems to be ok)

Enermax 500W

EXP GDC V7.0 (Ares)

Gigabyte HD Radeon 7950 (3 GB)

Windows 7 64 bit

I can boot to Windows and I see new device in the device manager. It recognized Radeon HD 7900 series, but during official Catalyst install (namely the driver part), the desktop disappears followed by BSOD (atikmpag.sys). Even if I manage somehow to squeeze the driver in, there is yellow triangle and error code 52 (unsigned driver).

Do you have any clue, how to solve this? I will try to download DNA drivers, but I was hoping for official ones.

Thanks

Hello, after setting up gen2 speed in Setup 1.30 the performance really improved, but I'm getting very frequent BSODs, sometimes the game runs for 15 minutes and sometimes it crashes during loading. Is there a fix for this? I read it is a problem with Nvidia drivers, so would getting an AMD help? (However, do AMDs support output to internal LCD?)

Thanks

If Gen1 doesn't show these problems, but Gen2 does, then it's definitely a Gen2 signalling issue. You have a EXP GDC Beast. You may consider obtaining a PE4L 2.1b or PE4C 2.1 to see if that resolves it for you. See comment in next reply about my experience: EXP GDC vs BPlus adapters.

Also worth noting that a one-gen newer Fujitsu AH532 got a successful Gen2 link using a PE4L 2.1b adapter at http://forum.techinferno.com/diy-e-gpu-projects/2109-diy-egpu-experiences-%5Bversion-2-0%5D-231.html#post75810 .

hello, I would not know which one to choose between these 3 Adapter, I have a notebook MSI GE-60 apache pro and I would take a graphics card Gainward GTX 970 4GB

PE4H (PCIe passive adapter ver2.4)

PE4H ( PCIe passive adapter ver2.4 )

PE4L V2.1 (PCIe Adapter)

PE4L V2.1 (PCIe Adapter )

ARES 7.0 (EXP GDC Laptop External PCI-E Graphics Card Mini PCI-E Set)

EXP GDC Laptop External PCI-E Graphics Card Mini PCI-E Set -

using SiSoft I contralateral I 3 doors MPCI 2.0 (5GBP) chipset HM87

if someone could help me I would be grateful

Thank you very much and sorry for linglese

You want a Gen2 capable adapter. That means a PE4L 2.1b, PE4C 2.1 or EXP GDC Beast. I've had signalling issues with EXP GDC V6 that don't occur with PE4C 2.1, so I believe the BPlus gear is better there. In which case I'd suggest either a PE4C 2.1 or PE4L 2.1.

Hi Guys!

I'm new to the forum and I'm glad to be here!

I got a HP Elitebook 8460p with an i7 2620m and a HD6470m GPU.

I found the Post of Bjorm here at TI and as far as I understand his 8460p got the Intel GPU HD3000 at the Processor instead of an HD6470m. I read through 2 other forums so far but I couldn't find a setup with an HD6470m with an eGPU.

Does someone know if my setup is possible?

The problem of my setup would be that I have no Intel GPU in my Notebook to use Optimus. And the other problem would be that I have to deactivate my HD6470m in order to use an eGPU. But if I deactivate the HD6470m my Notebook wouldn't power up because no GPU is detected at all.

My TOLUD is 3GB and I got an expresscard slot. I guess the PE4L 2.1b adapter would be the best for this setup and I guess to find the right power supply isn't the hardest part.

I really appreciate any help in any form!

Correct. No Optimus is possible on your system since there's no iGPU. You could still run a NVidia eGPU but without x1 pci-e compression, DX9 performance will suffer. As too, no internal LCD mode. If you were thinking of getting an AMD eGPU, then running Win7 would mean you may have to deal with unified driver issues, as well as needing a DSDT override to accomodate a AMD eGPU on an Elitebook: http://forum.techinferno.com/diy-e-gpu-projects/7476-%5Bguide%5D-dsdt-override-fix-error-12-a.html

I'd suggest offloading your system for one with an iGPU + expresscard instead, even if it's another 8460P : http://forum.techinferno.com/diy-e-gpu-projects/4109-egpu-candidate-system-list.html#post57511

Hallo TI Member

Just want to know, is there any good to use a mini Titan ( GTX 780 ) on PE4C V2.1 for PCIE 2.0 and in x1 Line..?

Can I get at least 70% of the GTX 780 Performance..?

My Laptop Spec :

- Sony Vaio SVZ ( Z3 2012 )

- intel HD 4000

- HM 77 Chipset

Thanks

Please review the multiple performance posts at http://forum.techinferno.com/diy-e-gpu-projects/2109-diy-egpu-experiences-%5Bversion-2-0%5D.html#ati+nvperf . There's a number of Sony SZ2/SZ3 guides at http://forum.techinferno.com/diy-e-gpu-projects/6578-implementations-hub-tb-ec-mpcie.html#dx11

Hi guys,

I have an issue with setting up my system and since Google seems to not know answer to my question, I would like to ask you for a help. I plugged in following setup:

Thinkpad X220 (latest bios)

8 GB RAM (tolud seems to be ok)

Enermax 500W

EXP GDC V7.0 (Ares)

Gigabyte HD Radeon 7950 (3 GB)

Windows 7 64 bit

I can boot to Windows and I see new device in the device manager. It recognized Radeon HD 7900 series, but during official Catalyst install (namely the driver part), the desktop disappears followed by BSOD (atikmpag.sys). Even if I manage somehow to squeeze the driver in, there is yellow triangle and error code 52 (unsigned driver).

Do you have any clue, how to solve this? I will try to download DNA drivers, but I was hoping for official ones.

Thanks

See replies above about switching to Gen1 for testing purposes and then considering a BPlus PE4L 2.1 or PE4C 2.1 over a EXP GDC adapter if Gen2 signalling proves to be the problem causing your hangs. If Gen1 is OK, then there could be power starvation issues with your PSU or even a faulty HD7950.

Hi everyone, I'm new to this community and to forums and blogs in general. I have a Lenovo X220 Tablet with 2nd gen core i7 and the following open ports that I'm hoping to somehow use to connect this laptop to an eGPU: PCI express card slot, DisplayPort++, USB 2.0. I also just got an nVidia GTX 970 with 3 open DisplayPorts that I will be installing into my desktop and then connecting it to my new Samsung 4K UN55HU6830FXZA via HDMI 2.0. I wish to connect my laptop to the nVidia card while it's in the desktop to have the nVidia card drive 4K graphics to the 4K TV. I don't plan on using the laptop for gaming, just web surfing, general productivity (not video or image editing), and trading and charting. Everywhere I look online, I only see solutions for connecting laptops to adapter kits to drive graphics via an eGPU. However, I do not wish to have a separate eGPU sitting outside of my desktop. I wish to use the desktop-installed nVidia card while it's in the desktop. I do not plan on simultaneously outputting graphics from the desktop and the laptop to the 4K TV, just switching between the two depending on my productivity needs. However, if there's a way to do picture in picture where both the laptop and desktop can show, I'd like to learn how, but this is not a priority or necessity. My priority is to drive laptop video output to the 4K TV via the nVidia card because my HD3000 internal graphics chip on the X220 laptop is not capable of 4K resolution, even for web surfing, to my understanding. Can someone please guide me on how to do this?

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.