[POLL] The future of AC Adapter: What do YOU want?

• Guest changed the title to [POLL] The future of AC Adapter: What do YOU want?
  • Guest pinned this topic
  • Guest unpinned this topic

I think that rather than deliberate about the size of the power supply, Clevo should think about changing the power socket/plug, or the ability to easily install a second one, without converter box.

At the very least, Clevo needs to allow third-party charger compatibility. For example, Dell 240W/330W adapters don't work with the P65xSx/P65xRx. They charge the battery when laptop is idle, but disconnect under load. The P65xSx/P65xRx at stock already nearly maxes out the included 180W/200W brick.

Edited by octiceps

@octiceps

Clevo doesn't block the use of other chargers (Dell and their chargers do), but the Dell charger may not be able to handle the "FlexiCharger" controller configuration.

Disabling that in BIOS should let the AC Adpater work also under load.

2 hours ago, Prema said:

@octiceps

Clevo doesn't block the use of other chargers (Dell and their chargers do), but the Dell charger may not be able to handle the "FlexiCharger" controller configuration.

Disabling that in BIOS should let the AC Adpater work also under load.

The P650SG doesn't have the FlexiCharger feature. I know it's an issue inherent to the laptop because other P650SG owners have reported the same thing, and the Dell 240W/330W works just fine with my Lenovo Y500.

Edited by octiceps

@octiceps

Ah, that's not the Clevo doing this but the Dell charger itself needs a signal modification or it won't allow you to pull more than 220W-ish:

We are pulling over 820W+ from a P870DM...they don't block these things on a hardware level.

15 hours ago, Prema said:

@octiceps

Ah, that's not the Clevo doing this but the Dell charger itself needs a signal modification or it won't allow you to pull more than 220W-ish:

We are pulling over 820W+ from a P870DM...they don't block these things on a hardware level.

Actually the PSU shuts off before 200W drawn from the wall, so it's not that. Could be the Bix converter cable I used is not up to snuff, supposedly it's 16AWG rated for 10A max.

17 hours ago, Prema said:

820W/20V~40A

I do not have full technical documentation, but I bet that it power socket may have difficulties at 15-20A after 15-30 minutes.

It's just for 2-3 benchmarks. Good luck for the 3 hours of the games.

Edited by Clyde
  • Thumbs Up 1

I just want to say, that the existing technical solutions of Clevo work to the appearance of GTX980M. Talking about the larger PSU does not make sense to time the changes in the supply system on the motherboards.

Perhaps a 36V mobo/power supply would be a solution?