[TUTORIAL] [4GHz+] Overclock i7 4XXXm(q/h) to i7 extreme conversion Intel Haswell CPU Microcode bug hack

tmash

Hi, I have mod the n750jv bios to v1 using  UBU_v1_65 and OC to 3.8-4Ghz using ThrottleStop 8.40. However, once reboot the multiplier falls back to 34 and I have to set it  again using ThrotteStop again. I haven't installed XTU. Any idea to make the multiplier persistence so that I can flash back the lastest MC? Also what is v00? UBU_v1_65 only has v1 to v21. Thanks in advance!.:angel:

n750jv.JPG

Edited by ahnic

• 3 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

Hi i saw this thread and decided id partake cuz i have a laptop with the same cpu i rehauled. It had a i3 but when i saw this i got a i7 4700mq 4 150$ and put it in with liquid metal 66c full load @3.6ghz all cores -90mv core. I also got a rx480 egpu im using with it and the cpu is being power limit throttled 24/7. My laptop is a toshiba satellite c55t-a5102.

My weakest link is cpu and i wanna adjust bclk and dump/edit bios but idk what software to use for my mobo as its a custom system and dont know what is locked down. Any advice or help will be deeply appreciated. I bought this cpu specifically 4 this thread so im dedicated balls to the wall we gun melt sum sht

Edited by chase.rowland
Also i wanna mention some interesting info, the lower the offset voltage the higher your minimum clock will be too. -150mv= 3.1-3.6 -115=3.0-3.6. -90= 2.9-3.6. Ps, bios type is insyde bios

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

It's interesting to see this thread.

My 4700MQ ES is able to clock up to 80x due to the really alpha version of microcode.

However, the CPU self is awful to OC. 35x @ 1.10v is already comsuming 60+ Watts.

Edited by showgood163

On 2016/3/31 at 2:03 AM, tmash said:

Intel Stock microcode has a Turbo multiplier bin glitch that allows unlimited multiplier increase, I used prema's bios and removed a cpu microcode update to let the cpu run the stock glitched microcode. I will share the bios file, use it at your own responsibility and if you know what you are doing.

Is it possible to OC in the BIOS with this stock microcode and enter OS (WIN7 / Linux) with the latest microcode?

Newer microcode contains critical security fix.

On 2018/3/22 at 1:45 AM, Dexter10 said:

Ok guys I can do it from my bios? I have prema mod bios

Ty

IMG_20180321_123702678_HDR_opt.jpg

After you flashed the modded BIOS file, yes, you can OC with this BIOS.

I'm using prema BIOS, too.

• 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...

Works great on my y510p with 4700MQ. Bios 2.07.

image.thumb.png.ccd593adc626501d0e4df43357dd67bd.png

Found my sweet spot with 3.7Ghz on all cores OC and no voltage offset. Power consumption is 50W when all cores stressed.

I was able to achieve 4.1Ghz on 2/4 cores stressed. which is plenty useful for playing single threaded games. I could go 4.1 all cores but it would fluctuate due to power throttling.

image.thumb.png.be197bf553e823f88fa2232bef906080.png

As for the cooling, Liquid metal did the trick with temps staying mid 70s.

image.png.8fb1ec9ad325b577ecbd2da2ce60731a.png

Was able to hit 4.4Ghz with +230mV core and 0.05 Vccin. however, power throttling at 56-57W kept dropping frequencies back to 3.4Ghz so its kinda useless.

Anyways, ty for the guide. this is pretty much a free upgrade that matches my other 7700hq machine.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi. I really need some help. I am trying to this method on a desktop mobo to be able to get more performance from an i5 4590. The issue is that when I extract files 1 and 3 with Uefi Editor and proceed to use the HexEditor to modify them, it's completely different from what your screenshot shows and I am scared to screw things up and brick my motherboard and make my PC unusable ever again.

Here is the BIOS file that needs the mod to allow CPU overclocking: http://www.mediafire.com/file/z6ppd2lf4n8opq9/7817v67.rar/file

I hope someone can give me a hand.

Thanks!

• 3 months later...

Hey first of all i have a barebone from msi MS-1492. My bios version is american megatrends bios  E14921G6.30H , 05/08/2013 . I have a gtx 760m and i7-4700 mq.
Im having a problem with him because every time that i stress my cpu it doesn't cross the frequency base of 2.4... As soon as i stop stressing the cpu the frequency goes up to 3.2-3.4 GHZ. So if i see a movie or i play some games my cpu doesn't give my full speed. And even if its a question of temperature can't it at least give 3ghz? i think would make a diference while gamming... I saw this topic, and although its from years ago I would like to know what can i do to put my cpu giving a bit more not overclock it until 4ghz but stabelize it at 3hz at least?

Obs: What temps you managed to get with i7-4700mq runing at that speed < 4Ghz ?

15 hours ago, johnbiggle said:

Hey first of all i have a barebone from msi MS-1492. My bios version is american megatrends bios  E14921G6.30H , 05/08/2013 . I have a gtx 760m and i7-4700 mq.
Im having a problem with him because every time that i stress my cpu it doesn't cross the frequency base of 2.4... As soon as i stop stressing the cpu the frequency goes up to 3.2-3.4 GHZ. So if i see a movie or i play some games my cpu doesn't give my full speed. And even if its a question of temperature can't it at least give 3ghz? i think would make a diference while gamming... I saw this topic, and although its from years ago I would like to know what can i do to put my cpu giving a bit more not overclock it until 4ghz but stabelize it at 3hz at least?

Obs: What temps you managed to get with i7-4700mq runing at that speed < 4Ghz ?

Welcome to the world of CPU throttling and not able to reach advertised speeds. Now, there can be many reasons to throttle. You have not given any info or screenshot on what exactly is happening. Use cpu monitoring programs to figure it out (search, there are plenty of guides out there).

Lastly, if your CPU is throttling (which it is) and it cannot even run at stock turbo speeds, then this guide won't help you at all. 

PS. I have managed to to stay at 4.2 GHz at 90C (cinebench R15 with cooling mods). It is not worth it in my case as there are other throttling mechanisms (current limit) which reduces the speed independent of temperature/power. I use 36x for daily tasks/games (no throttle) and 42x only for benching.

4 hours ago, intruder said:

Welcome to the world of CPU throttling and not able to reach advertised speeds. Now, there can be many reasons to throttle. You have not given any info or screenshot on what exactly is happening. Use cpu monitoring programs to figure it out (search, there are plenty of guides out there).

Lastly, if your CPU is throttling (which it is) and it cannot even run at stock turbo speeds, then this guide won't help you at all. 

PS. I have managed to to stay at 4.2 GHz at 90C (cinebench R15 with cooling mods). It is not worth it in my case as there are other throttling mechanisms (current limit) which reduces the speed independent of temperature/power. I use 36x for daily tasks/games (no throttle) and 42x only for benching.

For exemple this is before running bench https://ibb.co/FXS6Vwd
And this is after running bench you can see that i get a decrease of my cpu performance:
 https://ibb.co/99kKQF8 with balanced mode in power options.
 https://ibb.co/dcmPSZs with maximum performance.
I just saw this now that i seem to get better results with balanced mode in power options that in maximum performance. What is going on here?
Btw it can't be maximum performance fault because it is all in maximum. Includding cpu max and min performance are both at 100%

Here is also prints i took runing pc in maximum performance to show you my hw monitoring:
https://ibb.co/PZv66gC
https://ibb.co/Gp7g2hL
https://ibb.co/wN8BwxC
https://ibb.co/0Q3VYsb

Edited by johnbiggle
completing the sentence

On 7/8/2019 at 11:50 AM, intruder said:

Also my ac-adapter gets very hot when im playing games, like very hot can't barely touch it....

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
On 9/15/2016 at 8:48 PM, kraankop said:

Hey I am using a P375SM clevo and I am trying this.  You say to select length 5000 but the image shows only a selected length 218 am I missing something?

Also when I try opening the file with mmtool the app will stop working and this is for either bioses.

EDIT: I got the stock bios and now mmtool works I think i got this now 4 entries show up in mmtool and 2 gone the once I wanted gone :P. Is this worth the risk? hihi

Hey just wondering how you went with the p375sm, I'll be trying it myself over the next couple of days.

• 3 years later...
On 3/31/2016 at 11:18 PM, tmash said:

It would be really nice to try this on other Haswell CPUs, results would be interesting, guess 4900mq can go 4.8ghz stable due to having high quality ASIC compared to 4700mq, 200+mV to reach 4.6 should be less with better cpus

Tried on 4700HQ, followed all the step, use intel programming tool to flash, after succuess flash it bricked.

you guys follow same method and all works good? After modify the Bios *.rom, i canot update directly in BIOS dashboard, so I tried that AFUWIN.exe, it says validation failed, then I used Intel Flash Programming Tool (FPT), the dump current bios, modify, flash. then new brick is made.