Y500 Does UEFI matter?

L8show

When I swapped my HD for a SDD, I thought I had it set up in UEFI mode, but it's not.

My HD had gotten corrupted so I had to full clean install from a USB stick.  Luckily the Windows ID was in the Bios and it worked, but it didn't set up in UEFI mode and though it's already fast, I read it's better to have it set up in UEFI mode.  Anyone swap in SSD and get it run UEFI mode?  Do you remember the settings used? 

TIA

• 2 weeks later...

I changed my HD to SSD and UEFI was enabled. With Acronis i cloned my HD to new SSD. But when i plugged in the new SSD , the system booted on Windows 10. I had dual boot Ubuntu 15.10 and windows 10. I used boot repair and it restored my grub. However Ubuntu could not boot. I found out the fstab had the UUID of the HD, so manually i replaced the value and everything worked as it was with HD but much much faster. Acronis warned me if you have linux partitions  maybe they will not be bootable after cloning.

After this successful upgrade i decided to change also wlan card to AC7260, i am still working on it(waiting for allowance to download the appropriate files)