[Request] Simple guide for DA-2 wiring

fisch3r

Hi!

I'm currently building my own eGPU for my MBPr. I've got a GPU (R7 260X), an Akitio 2 and a Dell DA-2.

I've read the threads where people "found out" that you could use a DA-2 as a power supply.
My problem is, that noone in the thread ever really gave a solid write-up in how to wire the power to the Aktio barrel plug and the GPU.

So, my request is: can anyone who's used the DA-2 with the barrel-conversion-cable-trick write a simple newbie guide (step by step)?

It will help not just me, but also any other people wanting to build an eGPU. :)

Edited by fisch3r

Imho the first picture in this thread is all you really need: https://www.techinferno.com/index.php?/forums/topic/7377-220w-dell-da-2-ac-adapter-discussion/

12V on the one hand and ground on the other. Make a connection between ground and remote and the Dell DA-2 starts.

All you need is a 8-Pin PCIe extension cable, rewire it (because yellow on the 8-Pin PCIe plug doesn't match the 12V of the Dell DA-2) and connect 6-Pins and the barrel plug.

If you aren't familiar with soldering you could use a standard ATX power supply by shorting pin 16 (the green PS_ON wire) to a black ground wire on the 24 pin connector with a wire, paperclip, or safety pin.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Hi,

I am new to this forum and to the eGPU world.  I have been reading and it appears as if creating a solution for the MacBook Pro with Integrated Only Graphics is much much cheaper than buying a preconfigured box.  I have never done wiring before on computers, but was capable of "plug and pray" component install including PCIe when building desktops.  I'm not understanding how the wiring actually works from a Dell DA-2 to a pcie y cable or other solution.

I think my biggest problem is that no guide has a start to finish, "Plug this cable or adapter in here" guide that I can find.

I understand this is a noob problem, I just think with any visual I'll be able to understand, how wiring works or cables connect from the DA-2 to the required components on boards.  But not owning a Akitio yet, or card, I can't quite visualize where both 6 pins need to plug in, although I assume the 12v plug just goes into the back of the Akitio etc.

Thanks for any clarity in visual help or links to how cabling solutions actually plug in or solder etc.

Best Wishes

The most knowledge can be found here: https://www.techinferno.com/index.php?/forums/topic/7377-220w-dell-da-2-ac-adapter-discussion/

There you can see the pinout of the DA-2 and that you need to switch some 12V and ground cables to match with the regular PCIe plugs.

You would need:

- a 8-pin PCIe extension female to male

- a barrel plug (with some wire)

- a 6-pin y-cable

With that you can rewire the 8-pin extension and plug the 6-pin y-cable into the 8-pin. The 8-pin extension has to be rewired and the barrel plug added.

Thanks so much.  I was using your completely closed guide to start and I keep re-reading that DA-2 power adapter post and looking at my parts list.  I'm just a very visual person and it would help to have an annotated picture of a the popular GTX 970 MBPro complete build, closed case, DA-2 power, and cable list.  Best I could find is this picture (which isn't a closed unit, but I understand that is just a space issue from Graphics card choice):

Egpu.jpg

Here is my parts list so far:

Parts list.PNG

It looks like I need to add the 8-pin PCIe extension female to male, and I don't need two of the y splitters?

Thanks so much for any further guidance!  Maybe I'll create that screenshot with arrows and wiring when I build if it will help anyone.

You can do it in 2 ways:

1. Get two splitter cables with 6-pin to 2x6-pin. Plug the first into the DA-2, connect the 2nd to the 1st and use the barrel plug with the any of the 3 resulting 6-pins. Means: cut of one of the 6-pin plugs, remove 5mm of isolation on them and plug them into the barrel plug.

2. Get an 8-pin extension, and rewire them (soldering) to match the official 8-pin PCIe pinout. Add some cables during the process and get 12V and ground for the barrel plug.