akitio + gtx 980 ti ,, frame rate is so bad . why

MoathSama

Hello guys , first of all thank you for everything ,, i finally got my egpu running but i dont know why the performance is below average . not even close to the real performance of this card  . 

comparing to other desktop with same gpu its a shock .

for example when i was running assassins creed syndicate on external display 1080p and the frame rate is not that good i get only 60 fps and it gets even down to 50 and 40 , 

while the normal performance of the same card can get you above 100 fps and stays between 90 to 70 .

my setup :

15 inch 2014 Macbook pro with gt750m 

akitio thunder 2 

gigabyte gtx 980 ti g1 

Can you please tell me,,,,,, is this normal for EGPU . you get like only half the performance ? or maybe something wrong here .

22 hours ago, Torsten said:

Hey,

I'm also using a GTX GeForce GT 980ti in combination with a MacBook Pro Mid 2014 and a Akitio Thunder2.

I'm getting a Score of 1934 in Unigine Heaven (complete result attached), but I've no reference. Is this all I can get with my setup?

Thanks in advance

Unigine benchmark results.png

Thanks for this dude ,, ill try to check my setup tomorrow i got exam :P  .

21 hours ago, Dschijn said:

@Torsten Just checked my desktop PC with a 980Ti and I scored 2240. So you reached 86% of my points and that is good for an eGPU :)

Thank you ,

I also got a question , a friend of mine told me that i might need to tweak my cpu voltage and some other things , he said there is that tool i can get it from Intel i dont remember its name :) 

but the problem is that i dont know the right settings or even how to do it,, i just dont wanna ruin anything :P 

Can you please tell us how ,, which settings do we need to change . 

@Torsten Sure it would. But most games do not need that much GHz. I limited it so I will get a stable boost! E.g. in GTA V my clock speed/boost was just bouncing up and down because the CPU was throttling because of heat. I felt like I could feel that in the game.

Lowering the voltage will make the CPU run more efficient. All CPUs are different and Intel is just setting a safe voltage that all CPUs can run at. Most can run with much less voltage and with that, are much more efficient. -> Less heat, less noise, higher boost clocks.

This is very interessting due to the bad cooling a MacBook provides.

Geek_XTU.jpgCB_XTU.jpg

• Thumbs Up 2

2 hours ago, Dschijn said:

@Torsten Sure it would. But most games do not need that much GHz. I limited it so I will get a stable boost! E.g. in GTA V my clock speed/boost was just bouncing up and down because the CPU was throttling because of heat. I felt like I could feel that in the game.

Lowering the voltage will make the CPU run more efficient. All CPUs are different and Intel is just setting a safe voltage that all CPUs can run at. Most can run with much less voltage and with that, are much more efficient. -> Less heat, less noise, higher boost clocks.

This is very interessting due to the bad cooling a MacBook provides.

Geek_XTU.jpgCB_XTU.jpg

Thanks for sharing, Dschijn !

I got a question. What's exactly max temp, that your CPU throttling ?

:) 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.