Y50-70 Touch 960M: how to overclock the GPU

iAchilles

hi guys,

got a y50-70 FHD touch with a gtx 960m 2GB which i wanna OC the GPU a little bit and change the power limit a bit to avoid hitting power limit and throttling.

so the question is simple :)) HOW ? ONLY WAY IS TO MOD THE vBIOS ? OC gpu applications like EVGA PrecisionX 16 or MSI Afterburner does not allow me go furthur than +135 core clock base and POWER LIMIT option is greyed out.

btw i'm quite familiar with the danger and risk so ....

thx in advance

appreciated

PS. there is topic here in this forum which is somehow near what i'm seeking for but it's a bit old and seems no one replys to it anymore, so i made a new one, hope i can get a help, thx

Edited by iAchilles

• 2 weeks later...
Just now, Phentos said:

The only real way to be able to change power limit and voltage is to mod the VBIOS. 

If you haven't already, I recommend repasting the GPU as well as the CPU.

recently could extract vBIOS but dont know how to power/voltage limit in MaxwellBiosTweaker . do u know how?

1 hour ago, iAchilles said:

recently could extract vBIOS but dont know how to power/voltage limit in MaxwellBiosTweaker . do u know how?

Those options will be under the Voltage Table and Power Table headers in the program. Increase your OC until you reach the point where temperatures and/or stability become worse than what you feel comfortable with. Increase power limit as needed. Don't increase voltage unless you have to, as this will greatly increase heat buildup. Depending on your GPU's ASIC quality, increasing voltage may be unavoidable.

Open GPU-Z and right click the top bar of the program window, there should be an option called Read ASIC Quality. Higher values mean the GPU is not as "leaky" as those having lower values, which means you won't need to increase the voltage for a high ASIC GPU as much as you would for a lower value GPU.

This is the only situation where ASIC quality matters. It's irrelevant for overall performance, so don't be upset if your GPU has a lower ASIC value (65% or less).

• Thumbs Up 1

10 hours ago, Phentos said:

Those options will be under the Voltage Table and Power Table headers in the program. Increase your OC until you reach the point where temperatures and/or stability become worse than what you feel comfortable with. Increase power limit as needed. Don't increase voltage unless you have to, as this will greatly increase heat buildup. Depending on your GPU's ASIC quality, increasing voltage may be unavoidable.

Open GPU-Z and right click the top bar of the program window, there should be an option called Read ASIC Quality. Higher values mean the GPU is not as "leaky" as those having lower values, which means you won't need to increase the voltage for a high ASIC GPU as much as you would for a lower value GPU.

This is the only situation where ASIC quality matters. It's irrelevant for overall performance, so don't be upset if your GPU has a lower ASIC value (65% or less).

thx for explanation

mine is 73 %  , so i suppose it's a good value?

here is my MaxwellBiosTweaker screenshots, dont know what parameter should be changed or how much they should be changed ?

http://uupload.ir/files/62uz_11.png

http://uupload.ir/files/afi9_2.png

http://uupload.ir/files/0pgs_3.png

Edited by iAchilles

http://cryptomining-blog.com/tag/maxwell-ii-bios-tweaker/

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?292367-How-To-vBIOS-mod-your-Maxwell-2-based-GPU

Here's a couple of helpful guides to how to properly adjust power limit and voltage. You'll want to be much more careful while adjusting voltage values, as these have a vastly greater impact on heat output, stability, and longevity of your GPU. 

The left slider under the voltage represents the minimum voltage on low power states, while the right one represents the maximum allowed voltage. To be safe, you should not exceed 0.900v-0.920v on a lower spec laptop GPU such as yours.

Edited by Phentos
  • Thumbs Up 1

• 1 month later...

Hey guys, sorry to revive an old thread. I too have a y50-70, but with an 860m gpu. My asic is 70.6 and my overclock is +135 core and +650 Memory and no overvolt, Max temps are 67c after long gaming sessions of battlefront Max settings. I wanna unlock the vBIOS. How do I go about extracting and editing it? Thanks in advance :) and if possible, can I change the fan speed target?

• Bios Modder
3 hours ago, TrojanTheGod said:

and if possible, can I change the fan speed target?

No, this is impossible in vbios.

3 hours ago, TrojanTheGod said:

I wanna unlock the vBIOS.

Send me backup of your bios to PM.

Edited by Klem
  • Thumbs Up 1

Also, quick question. By unlocking the BIOS, will I be able to overclock the GPU past the Nvidia limitations for laptop GPU's? This is what I would like to achieve, and do I still overclock in MSI Afterburner or can I set my clocks directly in the BIOS. Thank you for the fast replies pal

• Bios Modder
58 minutes ago, TrojanTheGod said:

By unlocking the BIOS, will I be able to overclock the GPU past the Nvidia limitations for laptop GPU's?

Yes, Nvidia limit +135MHz will be unlocked.

1 hour ago, TrojanTheGod said:

do I still overclock in MSI Afterburner

Yes, you can use MSI Afterburner, or Nvidia Inspector, or EVGA Precision, or i can set in vbios specific clocks for your card.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Bios Modder
1 hour ago, TrojanTheGod said:

How do I go about backing up my BIOS? Is there any specific utilities I can use for it?

Just use attached program for creating backup of bios. Unzip attached archive directly on the Desktop and run the program as administrator. Program will create archive "results" directly on the Desktop.

BACKUP_FPT.rar

• Thumbs Up 1

36 minutes ago, Klem said:

Just use attached program for creating backup of bios. Unzip attached archive directly on the Desktop and run the program as administrator. Program will create archive "results" directly on the Desktop.

BACKUP_FPT.rar

When I try and download the file, the page that opens up simply gives me an error: Sorry, there is a problem

The page you are trying to access is not available for your account.

Error code: 2C171/1

49 minutes ago, Klem said:

Yes, Nvidia limit +135MHz will be unlocked.

Yes, you can use MSI Afterburner, or Nvidia Inspector, or EVGA Precision, or i can set in vbios specific clocks for your card.

Great, this is exactly what I wanted, although I would've liked to be able to set my fan speed to reach 100% based on my cpu's temps (I.E. by 80c it should be at 100% fan speed). But that's fine, also don't worry, I'll just overclock with afterburner, thanks for the offer to bake in the clocks though. Can I download this backup software anyway else? It gives me an error on the page that opens up

1 hour ago, Klem said:

BACKUP_FPT.rar

Hey, is it possible if you can email it to me at [email protected] or something. I have done the 5 posts, and they are of good quality, not just spam. But I'm still not able to download the file.

Ok friend, I have found someone who links me to the tool that you want me to download. I placed it on my desktop, opened the Windows64 folder and launched fptw64.exe as admin, but when I press "Any key to enter" twice, the third time it says it the cmd window just closes. Any help?

1 minute ago, TrojanTheGod said:

Ok friend, I have found someone who links me to the tool that you want me to download. I placed it on my desktop, opened the Windows64 folder and launched fptw64.exe as admin, but when I press "Any key to enter" twice, the third time it says it the cmd window just closes. Any help?

The error I get is: Error 200: Invalid parameter value specified by user. Use -? option to see help. (Found in the log) but I cant fix this because when I type or press a key it just opens more options and quits eventually.

Sorry for wasting your time, I didn't know that you had to pay for the modded BIOS, I payed all the money I had, I understand that is not enough. So thanks for the help, I found it hard to even find a BIOS backup tool, so that was good help for free. I'll go off and find a way to mod and re-flash myself. Thanks for all the help! :)

On ‎23‎/‎03‎/‎2016 at 7:10 PM, iAchilles said:

hi guys,

got a y50-70 FHD touch with a gtx 960m 2GB which i wanna OC the GPU a little bit and change the power limit a bit to avoid hitting power limit and throttling.

so the question is simple :)) HOW ? ONLY WAY IS TO MOD THE vBIOS ? OC gpu applications like EVGA PrecisionX 16 or MSI Afterburner does not allow me go furthur than +135 core clock base and POWER LIMIT option is greyed out.

btw i'm quite familiar with the danger and risk so ....

thx in advance

appreciated

PS. there is topic here in this forum which is somehow near what i'm seeking for but it's a bit old and seems no one replys to it anymore, so i made a new one, hope i can get a help, thx

Hey buddy, did you successfully unlock the Voltage, Power Limit and unlock the Core Clock slider? When I put the edited vBIOS back into my BIOS and flashed it again, the process was successful, but my clocks didn't change. How did your process go and did you encounter the same issue?