iMac 5K + Echo Express III-D + GTX980 ti

arana05

Hello everyone

My name is Emiliano. I’m planning to upgrade my video editing desktop computer.

I’ll be using the new computer solely for video editing on OS X (mainly 4K Raw footage from the new URSA mini 4.6K)

I’m fairly new to the e-GPU business, so my apologies in advance for the dumb questions!

I spent a fair amount of time already lurking in the forum, but i still not very clear about a couple of things, so i thought to bother you guys… Thank you in advance.

I’m planning to get:

• iMac Retina 5K display, 4.0GHz quad-core Intel Core i7 (Turbo Boost up to 4.2GHz), 32GB RAM, AMD Radeon R9 M395X with 4GB of GDDR5 memory
  • Sonnet - Echo Express III-D
  • Geforce GTX 980 ti

Now, the dumb questions:

1 - Will i need to get a PSU to power up the GTX980? Considering that the Express II-D is 300W (?)

2 - Will i be able to use the 5K monitor?

3 - Will CUDA apps (Adobe suite, Resolve) recognise the card and work?

4 - Is it worth getting an eGPU at all? I mean, comparing the AMD card and the 980, is it worth the upgrade?

5 - Could you walk me trough the process? or point me to the right link. From what i read, i run the scrip… and… that’s it?

Once again, thank you in advance for your time

cheers

emi

Edited by arana05