HP DV4 1523la + EXP GDC v8.0 + Asus GT740 OC

mrdatamx

Hi guys, I have been following your friendly and helpful community for some time and after reading lots of success stories I decided to jump into this eGPU world! So I am looking for your guidance/comments/tips.
My current laptop is an old HP DV4 1523la with an Intel Pentium Dual-Core T4300 @ 2.10 Ghz processor, 6GB DDR3 800Mhz, integrated Intel GMA 4500M.
I am considering the Express Card version of EXP GDC v8.0 and an Asus GT-740 OC 1GB GDDR5.
I am a Linux user and a very occasional FPS gamer (Nexuiz and Xonotic).
My main interest in this project is to provide this laptop with entry level CUDA capabilities with the least investment possible.
As such I would not mind just using the card as a processing unit but if a successful implementation has the added benefit of enjoying my favoured games with high frame-rate and visual settings, it would be AWESOME!

So in your experience guys, what do you think? Does my project seems promising or most likely to be a complete failure?
Cheers!

Based on what you guys have posted here, I found my system's TOLUD size is 3GB, so it seems i won't need to perform a PCI "All" compaction.

Ideally I would aim for an Optimus x1.Opt implementation in order to use the Internal LCD for display purposes.

Some specs for the chipset I am dealing with:

Intel ® 82801IB ICH9, ICH9 Mobile Base

PCI Express* Interface
The ICH9 provides up to 6 PCI Express Root Ports, supporting the PCI Express Base Specification, Revision 1.1. Each Root Port supports 2.5 GB/s bandwidth in each
direction (5 GB/s concurrent). PCI Express Root Ports 1-4 can be statically configured as four x1 Ports or ganged together to form one x4 port. Ports 5 and 6 can only be used as two x1 ports. On Mobile platforms, PCI Express Ports 1-4 can also be configured as one x2 port (using ports 1 and 2) with ports 3 and 4 configured as x1 ports.

I booted into windows 7 to check first PCI address...

Screenshot at 2016-03-22 12:33:15.png

Edited by mrdatamx
Added some description for the screenshot

I finally got from local e-bay sellers: my EXP GDC BEAST v8.3 and an EVGA GeForce GTX 460se, the problem is... the PCI-E power cable is taking ages to get here so I can't properly test my setup, So I need to ask this question for any EXP GDC BEAST owner here...

if you use the EXP GDC without a card, does its blue led stays on all the time and the red led never turns on? I am worried my EXP GDC could be broken because mine does just that!! I mean, I just plugged the power and data cables to my EXP GDC to at least test its USB port and it seems to work, but I read on a forum this blue led must be on only for a short period of time when initiating then only the red led must be on. I am afraid it is not working correctly, but I can't perform further tests until I get the PCI-E power cable.

Could any kind owner of an EXP GDC BEAST please help me out by doing the same test with your item? I would be really thankful.

Thank you guys.

• 2 weeks later...

Finally, the Windows part of my project is completed...

Win 7 64 bit

6 GB RAM DDR2

Pentium Dual-Core T4300 @ 2.10Ghz

Intel 4500MHD

Evga GTX 460 SE

EXP GDC Beast v8.3 EC1

Dell DA-2

2016-03-26 12_52_10-CPU-Z.png2016-03-26 12_51_54-CPU-Z.pnggpuz1.gifgtx460se.gif

Python with Theano on GPU (Cuda 5.0)

2016-04-09 11_23_21-C__Windows_system32_cmd.exe.png2016-04-09 11_24_11-C__Windows_system32_cmd.exe.png

Benchmarked with 3dmak06, almost 10x the old score!

2016-03-26 12_49_08-3DMark Score.png2016-04-08 21_20_34-3DMark Score.png

Now I'll try to my luck with CUDA on Linux Min 17.3

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.