125 Watt Power Supply for Akitio Thunder2

No need to worry about the wattage. The system will provide as much as needed. Most important is a stable 12V rail and enough amps for loads. But that PSU is well suited for your setup.

Using the HDMI of the MacMini results in the Optimus mode, which will perform slower than connecting the monitor directly to the eGPUs I/O.

Ahh I see, so monitor directly to card and the reason monitor and cpu connect is because of thunderbolt cable connection. 

By the way, I have to boot with the hdmi in the Mac mini or I can't see the screen, once booted, then I can make the switch. 

Its seems to me that the graphics card would be faster if it only had to handle processing the current game I'm running while the internal gpu (no matter how weak) works on processing everything else. Meaning I'm surprised it's faster plugging it directly into the  monitor.

Edited by wmjnottriell

12 hours ago, wmjnottriell said:

Also, would games run faster or smoother if I directly connected my display's HDMI cable into the graphics card rather than the back of the mac mini? I tried it and it worked but I couldn't tell if it was faster because there are a lot of variables going on that I'm trying to narrow down.

Thanks again! :)

It might work faster if you connect to the GPU itself rather than to the host. It reduces the need to send data back over the Thunderbolt cable. Not sure how much of an actual improvement you will see, though. But since it is a Mac Mini (and not, say a laptop where you want to use the internal screen) you lose nothing by connecting the screen to the eGPU directly.

Hey is there a way to hide all of these cables or like, just cut them off of the EVGA 400 watt psu? I'm only using the one modified barrel plug cord and there's like 100 other cables coming out. I'll never have a use for any of the other ones as I won't be building a pc ever. I only paid $10 for the psu so I really wouldn't mind just severing them if possible haha. I just don't want to fuck anything up. Thanks again!

-Bill

Hiding the cables is kind of a non issue NOW. It seems like my card is crashing wayy more than it ever did with the other 60watt power supply...i was playing rainbow 6 siege a lot today, and couldn't really play for more than a few minutes at a time without having the card crash. I finally downloaded an app to monitor my cpu and gpu power etc, does this look right to you? (Note the column all the way to the right is the highest, the middle is the minimum and the left is the current) keep in mind I'm not running crazy settings within the game, everything is pretty much at medium and i'm getting 50-65fps at these settings too. I know that the cpu temperature does seem hot, but it's a mac mini and they run super hot, the doesn't even throttle until it reaches 221(f)/105(c) degrees believe it or not. So it's not the cpu getting too hot. Anyways, if you could take a look at the chart and give me your feedback I'd appreciate it.

Thank you!

-Bill

While playing rainbow 6.JPG

tom settings.JPG

Edited by wmjnottriell
typos

@Dschijn My gpu hasn't been stable since I switched to this evga 400watt psu. when I run hw monitor pro oit constantly says that my gpu voltage is .962 and hasn't changed. Even after flashing my bios so the card will read 65.5 watts. Is there a reason that you you can think of why my gpu would only be a consistent .962volts and never change whatsoever? You can see the table that i posed above...

Thanks!

Edited by wmjnottriell