Razer Core eGPU with Mac using TB3-TB2 adapter

entzoe

Hello Guys! It's good to be back on this forum after 1.3 years! Been away for that long and amazed how the eGPU for Mac had grown! How are you nando and goalque? :)

Anyway, so just lately the Razer Core will be available by April this year. I'm wondering if we can use this as an eGPU option for our apple machines. The core has TB3 port. Some macbook and minis might not have the port. But there's a adapter from Startech/Amazon. Do you think this setup will work?

If it does, here's the breakdown of the cost;

1. Core 500$

2. Adapter 100$ (if you don't have tb3 port)

.. that's 600$ 

Now comparing with Akitio setup of 220$ + PSU = 80$ + cables +20$. That's around 300$ difference.

With Core you can use longer GPU and don't have to do some extra stuff laying around (granting that it will work).

What do you think??? 

Hello again to everyone! :)

I'd buy this just for the sake of only having to put one cable into my Macbook and having nothing else laying openly outside. I now have to put 2 USB 3 cables(USB 3.0 HDD on the left port, USB 3.0 hub on the right port) and the Thunderbolt cable into my Macbook every time I take my Macbook with me. Currently it's not happening that often but will again soon. Further my Akitio case isn't modded so I can't close it because the graphics card would get too hot. The cables of my Dell DA-2 are also not covered up by some shrink tube or anything.

If I wanted to achieve the one-cable-only solution without Razer Core or whatever will pop up in the near future, I'd have to buy a Thunderbolt 2 dock which would cost another 200€ and would also work but hey...it's another brick laying around on my table and I don't like that.

I'm not in a hurry though, everything's working and that's the important thing. I'll just wait what Akitio comes up with, if they finally will some time.

Edited by Morv

• 2 months later...
On March 19, 2016 at 5:06 PM, Dschijn said:

AKiTiO already teased a picture and i looks like a reboot of the Thunder2.

Fingers crossed they release sth also for GPUs.

Cool! Where did you see the tease?