Razer Core $499 eGPU dock TB3/USBC

Is it worth waiting for thunderbolt 3 egpu support in laptops later this year? I'm itching to buy a macbook for post production coloring and rendering, but I'm not sure the new macbooks will get thunderbolt 3. I mean they should right?

If you can wait, than wait! TB3 is an awesome solution and should be in the next MacBooks.

Since Razer mentions that the manufactures might have to apply some settings in the BIOS of the laptop to make the TB3 eGPUs plug and play, we need to wait, see and test how Apple will do it.

• Founder
On 3/28/2016 at 1:22 PM, Dschijn said:

If you can wait, than wait! TB3 is an awesome solution and should be in the next MacBooks.

Since Razer mentions that the manufactures might have to apply some settings in the BIOS of the laptop to make the TB3 eGPUs plug and play, we need to wait, see and test how Apple will do it.

From what I gather, all the other manufacturers need to do is get Intel certification for TB3 and it should work fine. AMD with xConnect support should make things a whole lot easier as well so they will have a leg up on NVIDIA for now. Maybe a Polaris + Razer Core + TB3 notebook combo would be ideal.

It'll also be interesting to see if Apple switches back to nVidia graphics or if they stick with AMD when they update the MacBooks to the Skylake platform. Apple usually switches back and forth between the two companies during updates.

Hoping this will work with laptops that already have thunderbolt 3. My acer v15 nitro has a port but I guess I've gotta wait and see if Acer will update the BIOS to make it plug and play. Hits all of the criteria so crossing fingers ^^

• 1 month later...
7 hours ago, Dschijn said:

The Razer Core starts to ship to the first people today. Can't wait to see the first reviews.

Yeah read that too on the forums.

I sure hope they think about testing other TB3 enabled notebooks as well.

$499 for just a case  that's quite high but considering it's noob friendly I think it's worth the price.

Though from the review it seems that it only support for Razer laptop, for other brands they might need some tweak to make it works maybe Akitio TB3 might be better choice for non-Razer laptop user.

• 3 weeks later...

Just an update. I received an email today from Razer saying that the Razer Core is now available for sale finally. FYI.

http://www.razerzone.com/store/razer-core/?src=pgm.4638765800&utm_source=Email&utm_medium=EDM&utm_content=0885&utm_campaign=Core_Launch_ship

Pretty expensive though at $499. BUT... it's big enough for all the cards I believe, so no hacking the case. Also has a big power supply, so no need to buy an expensive 500w external one. 

And I'd imagine it has all the cables already, so no prefabbing up cables ad hoc. 

Still should be $100- 150 less I believe, but since it's the only thing on the market currently I guess they'll try and make a good profit. 

Best part is it's T3. 

Here are the specs:

• Plug and play Thunderbolt™ 3 (USB-C) external desktop graphics enclosure
  • Supports compatible AMD and NVIDIA cards
  • 4 USB 3.0 ports and Ethernet
  • More effects with Razer Chroma
  • Compatible with Razer Blade Stealth and coming soon to The New Razer Blade.
  • Connection to PC: Thunderbolt™ 3 using included cable
  • Desktop graphics card required for graphic functionality. Graphics card sold separately.
  • GPU Support and Requirements
    • Single double-wide, full-length, PCI-Express x16 graphics card
    • GPU Max Dimensions: 12.20” x 5.98” x 1.73” (310 x 152 x 44 mm)
    • GPU Max Power Support: 375 Watts
    • Plug and Play compatible graphics.
    • Graphics Output based on capabilities of installed graphics
  • Input & Output: USB 3.0 X 4, Gigabit Ethernet 10/100/1000, Thunderbolt™ 3 (for connection to PC)
  • Lighting: Chroma - 2 Zones
  • Internal Power Supply: 500 Watts
  • Approx. Size: 4.13” / 104.9 mm (Width) x 13.38” / 339.9 mm (Depth) x 8.6” / 218.4 mm (Height)

Anyone seen any competitors to this coming out yet?

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...