17" HP DV7-6103EG + GTX970@ ?? 2Gbps + mPCIe2 (EXP GDC Beast) + Win10

mrmegtette

Hello!

So first of all I already had a working setup with a GTX680 see below.

But I had an oppurtunity to sell the 680 and buy a 970. Unfortunately the 970 doesn't working in gen2 just  in gen1 mode. The nvidia driver stops responding in 1-2 minutes even in idle mode in gen2 mode. Thought it is caused by the PSU so I tested with different ones. (I tried it with the dell PSU, a 550W Superflower and a 500W Corsair PSU, same situation with all.)

So because it worked flawlessly in gen2 mode with the 680 but with the 970 I believe it isn't a faulty adapter. What shoud I do? Is it any tweak you recommend to try? I'm kinda lost.  

I had exactly this problem with my Nvidia 960 and my EXP Beast on my Lenovo L440. I had to sell my beast and buy a PE4C which is stable in gen 2. I had an Nvidia error with the PE4C tho when i updated to the newest nvidia drivers (364 or so) so i wiped my computer and let windows update download the driver instead of going to nvidia.com.  Windows downloaded the 358 driver and it has been stable ever since. Played The Division and Rocket League for more than 6 hours straight

• Thumbs Up 1

Thank you for sharing your experiences. I will try this!

Btw checked my drivers and realised the difference is the driver as you told, I mean, I used the 680 with the 361/362 but the 970 with the 364.

Edited by mrmegtette

Sure thing. I doubt its going to be stable with just a driver change. If you cannot buy a PE4C, make sure you use DDU to remove the 364 driver. I personally just allowed Windows find the best driver through windows update and it has been a charm. With my L440, even Gen 1 wasnt stable with the EXP Beast. It was so unstable that it would crash with a Kernel error and even though i take the eGPU apart, it wouldnot work except i wait for about 30mins for it to 'cool down'. With the EXP longest i played The Division was 48mins (Hadnt got Rocket League to test). I even tested continuous load on the card using MSI Afterburner to enable the fans and increase power and stuff to no avail too. The PE4C is very straight forward and i can actually plug and play the graphics with driver 358. When connected there is a safely remove icon beside the clock. I think i need to remove the HDMI cable to get the video to go back to my laptop prior to safely removing tho but its fine. With my previous X230 i had to shut down the whole computer prior to ejecting the video card.

On 3/20/2016 at 1:12 AM, Kenenna said:

Sure thing. I doubt its going to be stable with just a driver change. If you cannot buy a PE4C, make sure you use DDU to remove the 364 driver. I personally just allowed Windows find the best driver through windows update and it has been a charm. With my L440, even Gen 1 wasnt stable with the EXP Beast. It was so unstable that it would crash with a Kernel error and even though i take the eGPU apart, it wouldnot work except i wait for about 30mins for it to 'cool down'. With the EXP longest i played The Division was 48mins (Hadnt got Rocket League to test). I even tested continuous load on the card using MSI Afterburner to enable the fans and increase power and stuff to no avail too. The PE4C is very straight forward and i can actually plug and play the graphics with driver 358. When connected there is a safely remove icon beside the clock. I think i need to remove the HDMI cable to get the video to go back to my laptop prior to safely removing tho but its fine. With my previous X230 i had to shut down the whole computer prior to ejecting the video card.

Unfortunately no luck for me. Tested with 358.91, 361.91, 362.00 

• 1 month later...

Hi Guys,

I was able to setup my GPU with HP Pavilion laptop using GTX 960. But the Card GTX 960 is showing up with error code 12.

My laptop specifications are listed below. Can you please let me know what needs to be done to fix the error code.

Laptop: HP DV7 pavilion notebook Windows 7

Card: GTX 960 4GB

PSU: EVGA 600W

Adapter: V8.0 Beast

• 8 months later...

I'm coming back to this setup. Haven't used it for a while. Now facing a problem it does not working with the new Nvidia driver just with an older one from back last year.

Anyway, my v8 Beast is on the way. Should be with me in the next few day. I'm going to share my experiences. [emoji4]

Sent from my ZTE A2017U using Tapatalk