ux32vd + egpu = ??? how ???

Hey guys

I'm a really curious type. Whenever I see something I like to try to tinkle with, I usually go for it.
The minute I read that installing an external GPU is possible, I started saving up.
Now I got all the parts:

Laptop: UX32VD
Windows 10 64 bit
CPU - I5 3317U - 1.7 ghz base to 2.6 ghz turbo - ivy bridge

10 gb 1600 mhz ddr3 ram

32 gb issd

256 gb ssd

Nvidia 620m

eGPU:
Sapphire R9 290 tri-x OC

PE4C V3.0

EVGA 750W PSU

External monitor

I'm saving up for a PC as well, that's why the overkill PSU and GPU. If I could game on them while saving up for the rest, it would be a win-win :)

I have installed the eGPU, and installed the driver for it and it works right up until my laptop crashes.
I've read a decent amout of stuff, trying to figure out what caused this problem (R9 290's apparently can be quite a nuisance), did a fresh W10 install to rule that out and flashed a newer BIOS for the GPU, but nothing worked.
Yesterday I found out, that it was a hardware problem. My CPU simply overheated and crashed.
I feel like I've searched high and low for a solution, but realized that I'm probably way over my head with this one.

Can anyone please lend me a hand and guide me step by step?

Edited by Juunasv

ok. I got the system stable by downclocking the gpu a bit.

Though my CPU is running at 50% at idle. Didn't do that before. But doesn't crash or anything.

But everytime I turn of the laptop, my egpu doesn't boot properly and the driver for it changes to amd 8600/8700m.

Any thoughts??

• 1 month later...

I've been running this rig for some time now, and I am pretty happy for most part.

But there are few things I could wish for.

1. If the laptop has been off for some time, the dgpu gets activated again. I usually use the setup 1.30 for this to the best of my knowledge, but could sure use a helping hand for using it properly.

2. Whenever I unplug a usb, the system goes black. Not a big problem since I just can let the system go to sleep and then unplug. Just an impractical problem which could be nice to solve.
3. I have no idea how to make a dtds (or is it dsdt) override or if it is needed. If I do need it, a step by step for not so tech savy would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance and have a nice thursday :)