2015 Macbook Pro Retina 13" + GTX 960 eGPU trackpad issue

qqq66660

Hi, I finally decided to give eGPU a chance and have made it work with my Macbook. The only problem I am seeing now (I had a booting problem, but that seems to be resolved) is that my trackpad seems to only track vertical and horizontal directions; not diagonal. 

Has anyone experienced this issue? I'm just worried that I might be ruining the Macbook hardware due to this setup.

My system is :
Akitio Thunder 2 with Dell DA-2

Gigabyte GTX 960 OC ITX

13" Macbook Pro retina 2015

Windows 10

Boot camp 6.0 installed.

Edited by qqq66660

14 hours ago, qqq66660 said:

Hi, I finally decided to give eGPU a chance and have made it work with my Macbook. The only problem I am seeing now (I had a booting problem, but that seems to be resolved) is that my trackpad seems to only track vertical and horizontal directions; not diagonal. 

Has anyone experienced this issue? I'm just worried that I might be ruining the Macbook hardware due to this setup.

My system is :
Akitio Thunder 2 with Dell DA-2

Gigabyte GTX 960 OC ITX

13" Macbook Pro retina 2015

Windows 10

Boot camp 6.0 installed.

Hi, I have the same setup as you, but I'm having a booting issue with windows. Can you tell me how you solved it?

10 hours ago, TifosiRay said:

Hi, I have the same setup as you, but I'm having a booting issue with windows. Can you tell me how you solved it?

Try plugging in the Thunderbolt cable right as the wheel starts spinning. 

2 hours ago, TifosiRay said:

That's what I used to do, but I will get an infinite spinning wheel after i installed the drivers.

I used the beta software driver from Nvidia, which I believe it was 364.x.x. I crashed the system by overclocking and now I am having issues with Win10. I installed Win8.1 instead to see if graphics card was alright, and I seem to get a lower FPS than before. I am investigating the problem right now

1 hour ago, qqq66660 said:

I used the beta software driver from Nvidia, which I believe it was 364.x.x. I crashed the system by overclocking and now I am having issues with Win10. I installed Win8.1 instead to see if graphics card was alright, and I seem to get a lower FPS than before. I am investigating the problem right now

I did exact procedure as you do. But getting different result. After the restart after installing drivers, I got bunch of problems. If I boot my mac with egpu connected and turn on, I will boot into black screen (there is no backlight for keyboard, no light for the apple logo, all I know is the fan is on, and hot air is coming out). If I connect egpu right when the wheel start to spin, it will turn into a infinite spinning. If I connect it slightly later, I can boot into windows without egpu (the egpu is detected but said no available drivers or something like that).

Are you booting via the option key? Or are you just booting windows directly?
If you are getting a black screen,

1) boot into osx with eGPU disconnected/powered off

2) login to osx and shut down

3) power on eGPU and wait ~10-20 seconds

4) turn on your macbook and hold the option key after the chime

5) boot into windows and when you see the first spinning wheel, plug in your eGPU. (Timing is crucial)

2 minutes ago, qqq66660 said:

5) boot into windows and when you see the first spinning wheel, plug in your eGPU. (Timing is crucial)

I'll try that.

15 minutes ago, qqq66660 said:

Yea, the black screen problem is solved. This time I boot into an infinite spinning wheel.

5 minutes ago, TifosiRay said:

Yea, the black screen problem is solved. This time I boot into an infinite spinning wheel.

Try plug it in when you are at the booting menu and see what happens. Mine froze, so it didn't work for me, but I believe some people had success.

1 hour ago, TifosiRay said:

Same as you

Are you willing to downgrade to windows 8.1? I've had problems with windows 10 after severe overclocking and had issues with windows 10 afterwards. I'm on windows 8.1 and the setup is working fine, but fps tend to be lower, so I am investigating with Dschijn.

11 minutes ago, qqq66660 said:

Are you willing to downgrade to windows 8.1? I've had problems with windows 10 after severe overclocking and had issues with windows 10 afterwards. I'm on windows 8.1 and the setup is working fine, but fps tend to be lower, so I am investigating with Dschijn.

I got the egpu work on my 13' macbook air mid 2012 with tb1 connected (running windows 8.1). For my macbook pro, I got a successful reboot under win8.1 with drivers installed. But for the second time, it failed and it keeps me out of booting into windows forever.

Edited by TifosiRay

1 minute ago, TifosiRay said:

I got the egpu work on my 13' macbook air mid 2012 with tb1 connected (running windows 8.1). For my macbook pro, I got a successful reboot under win8.1 with drivers installed. But for the second time, it failed and it keeps me out of booting into windows forever.

Hm, that's odd. You might want to check the implementation guide. I think there is a post regarding 2015 Macbook pro 13"

On March 9, 2016 at 1:42 PM, TifosiRay said:

Hey, I've got a solution for ya.

If this doesn't work then try reinstalling windows 10 and repeat this step.

1) unplug eGPU and boot windows 10

2) press windows button and click "restart" - do not press "shutdown"

3) when you hear the chime, press alt and boot into Mac OS X - log in and shut down.

4) power on the eGPU - do not connect the thunderbolt yet

5) start your macbook and press alt. - boot into windows

6) as soon as you see the spinning wheel plug your eGPU.

if you get stuck at spinning wheel, make sure to boot into windows without eGPU to see if it's not in automatic repair mode. And simply repeat the step.

If nothing works out, uninstall windows 10 and reinstall via boot camp.

run windows update before plugging in the eGPU. Make sure to download 364.5.x from nVidia

I gave up on windows 8.1 because the failure rate was the same as win10. I just tried this method and it worked.

Edited by qqq66660

Can someone help me out on this , i can't get my optimus working on windows 10.

I installed a fresh Windows10 today when I read optimus finally worked on Windows10 , but for my case my games still run on integrated gpu , my model is 13" mbp late 2013 (only with iGPU) , I installed the latest boot camp and all the apple driver .

At first I installed the latest nvidia driver (364.75 if not mistaken) then optimus dint work so I uninstalled all the nvidia driver and installed 361.75 but it's still the same . My system do detect my gpu and the zotac fire storm worked as well but my egpu is always in idle state.my setup works on Windows8.1 . Anyone can help me please I am so frustrated with this problem

4 hours ago, Dschijn said:

Just install the latest driver. Should work directly.

With an external monitor you could test if the eGPU works at all...

I have an issue connecting HDMI directly to the GPU. The set up works when i connect it to the HDMI to macbook but not when i connect it to the GPU to monitor. Am i doing something wrong?

9 hours ago, Dschijn said:

HMDI can cause problems. Can you try another connection?

I don't have any connections other than DVI -> display port adaptor -> laptop. I also can't get the windows to boot, it's either spinning wheel.  When I hotplug the eGPU, it says "The drivers for this device are not installed" or not even detected under device manager. 2015 13" macbook here also....