2015 MBP 15" w/ dGPU R9 m370x + EVGA gtx 980 TI?

unapalada

@unapalada

Apple finally updated their AMD graphics driver for Boot Camp to Crimson Edition!! Hooray!!! :hyper:

Though this driver is still Boot Camp exclusive, driver version 15.301.2101, which actually is the 15.301.1901 in my opinion and is two months old already. However, our code 12 problem seems to be fixed thanks to this new release. 

Please let me know how is your MacBook running after updating the Boot Camp exclusive AMD driver. Is the code 12 problem fixed? Or it just happens much less frequently? 

Anyway, good news for us! ;)

Edited by NaxHz

ah! thats good to hear!

although I have a new unsolved issue at hand with the laptop, I've actually uninstalled the dgpu and I'm out of options to reinstall it again. Device manager shows nothing, tried reinstalling drivers but AMD or windows don't detect the R9 anymore hahah..

wish I could just plug it out and back in again

So I'd love to install that update but windows update just comes with errors for the gpu update because of my past actions.

Okay update, I've successfully regained the dGPU and both video cards seem to work simultaneously but not on every boot..

feels like 30% of boot attempts are successful and the GTX gets enabled but the other 70% keeps loading just my laptop to the R9.

When it boots unsuccessfully, device manager shows an error with the GTX either with:

Code 12 or a different error stating something about a firmware issue and need to resolve with BIOS settings

I can say one thing for certain during the time before I wrote this post.

I had uninstalled my dGPU (R9) and was only running my iGPU (APU) or Microsoft Basic Display Adapter in device manager - this was in hope of getting a higher boot success rate for my GTX.

This had worked.

There were rarely any days I would have to sit infront of my setup repeatedly restarting everything just to get the GTX going through.

Instead of rarely, it was rather never.

Ever since reinstalling the R9 and trying to boot, I'm spending more time restarting and waiting for the eGPU to kick in.

So to NaxHz, no the update hasn't exactly eradicated the code 12 as it still emerges from time to time.

I'll observe and comment on it from now

That's all for now.

Cheers!

Thanks for reporting back. 

Well, things are getting really weird... As for me, I got 100% boot success rate the past three days. Yes, every time I boot into Windows after updating the Boot Camp graphics driver, my GTX 960 is all set without any issues!

I highly doubt that the code 12 issue is related to the driver conflict between AMD and Nvidia drivers - FYI, my Nvidia driver version is 364.72 - make sure you have them both up to date and try again?

-

Forgot to say, I only use one external monitor attached to my GTX 960 when I'm using Boot Camp.
Edited by NaxHz

1 hour ago, unapalada said:

When it boots unsuccessfully, device manager shows an error with the GTX either with:

Code 12 or a different error stating something about a firmware issue and need to resolve with BIOS settings

The latter one: I believe that's the code 35 issue I mentioned before.