[8460p] How to change BIOS for older version

Hi guys,

At the first, sorry for my language. My english isn't very good.

I have a problem with my HP EliteBook 8460p. I bought a SSD drive for my laptop then i got info that my BIOS F60. is blocking SATA 3 option so i got only SATA 2.

I found info on google that older BIOS F20. is still with SATA 3 config so i'm trying to install it but with no effects.

Of course i've tried to install it from Windows ( HPQFlash ) but program says that is older BIOS so i can't change it.

Then i've:

-install "HP BIOS Update UEFI" and "HP System Diagnostic UEFI"  on my pendrive,

-put BIOS file ( 68SCF.bin ) in Hewlett-Packard/BIOS/New with .sig file ( signature file for BIOS file )

-restart my laptop, pressed F2 for "HP Advanced Diagnostic"

-choose "BIOS Managment"

-select install New BIOS

-UEFI found 68SCF.bin in /New folder

-but then i've got error says "The System BIOS update failed", "Signature of BIOS image failed verification"

So there is a problem with .sig file of course. I try all .sig files that i have. No one of them worked. I try to change names of .sig files for "69SCF.sig" but without effects. Still no verification

Any ideas?

bioupdt.PNG

sigi.PNG

pen.PNG

Edited by TBlazer

Only change of doing it is getting a F.20 8460P bios dump using fptw64  (Intel Flash Utility) and flashing it to your system. Required is unlocking the flash descriptor which accomplished by holding WIN+LEFT ARROW+RIGHT ARROW key pressing power on button.

8460P BIOS dump can be found at http://forum.hpfocus.com/viewtopic.php?style=51&f=2&t=2475

fptw is contained in https://github.com/LongSoft/FTK/releases/tag/0.12.0

HP have otherwise prevented downgrading BIOS as you've found using their tools.

2 minutes ago, TBlazer said:

Thanks for answer! One more thing, can U reupload 68SCF8.zip file from hpfocus? They want me to get 50 points in their forum, i don't want to make ridiculous new threads on their forum just to get points.

I don't have 50 points to get 68SCF8.zip with nor own a 8460P to grab a dump from.

Can i bios dump from my 8460p and share with some software?

68SCF is indeed 8460p Bios at least for mine, and i can confirm that a Sandisk Extreme Pro 240GB Model does run with sata 6 according to its own tool.

@TBlazer: Maybe you can find the hp spXXX.exe and extract something that is flashable? ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp62501-63000/sp62738.html says it is F42 inside sp62738.exe

Ok downloaded it its too big for this forum aww shwt well here you go:

Checksum md5:FDB66D9C3EBAA899D0A67C9496B57C24

http://hopiberg.bplaced.net/68SCF8.F08.zip

@Tech Inferno Fan: Add it to your personal collection of bioses :-P

8460p.Board.Bios.jpg

F42Bios.8460p.SSD.Sandisk.JPG

Edited by Moes

2 hours ago, Moes said:

10 hours ago, Tech Inferno Fan said:

11 hours ago, Tech Inferno Fan said:

Guys, I don't know anything right now. All program says that drive is working on SATA3 mode. Is it truth? I found test of my BX100 250GB SSD on web here os comparison with my results. Should i change the BIOS?

In SANDRA screen: G3 is SSD i think and G2 port is for my WD 750GB SATA II HDD in multibay

crucial_bx100_250_gb_as_ssd.jpg

sandra.PNG

Edited by TBlazer

42 minutes ago, TBlazer said:

Guys, I don't know anything right now. All program says that drive is working on SATA3 mode. Is it truth? I found test of my BX100 250GB SSD on web here os comparison with my results. Should i change the BIOS?

In SANDRA screen: G3 is SSD i think and G2 port is for my WD 750GB SATA II HDD in multibay

crucial_bx100_250_gb_as_ssd.jpg

sandra.PNG

Your SSD is getting just under 500MB/s read speed on your 8460P with F.60 BIOS. That is definitely at SATA-III link interface speed as explained at http://kb.sandisk.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/8142/~/difference-between-sata-i,-sata-ii-and-sata-iii below. So no need to change your BIOS.

Difference between SATA I, SATA II and SATA III

What is the difference between SATA I, SATA II and SATA III?

SATA I (revision 1.x) interface, formally known as SATA 1.5Gb/s, is the first generation SATA interface running at 1.5 Gb/s. The bandwidth throughput, which is supported by the interface, is up to 150MB/s.

SATA II
(revision 2.x) interface, formally known as SATA 3Gb/s, is a second generation SATA interface running at 3.0 Gb/s. The bandwidth throughput, which is supported by the interface, is up to 300MB/s.

SATA III (revision 3.x) interface, formally known as SATA 6Gb/s, is a third generation SATA interface running at 6.0Gb/s. The bandwidth throughput, which is supported by the interface, is up to 600MB/s. This interface is backwards compatible with SATA 3 Gb/s interface.

SATA II specifications provide backward compatibility to function on SATA I ports. SATA III specifications provide backward compatibility to function on SATA I and SATA II ports. However, the maximum speed of the drive will be slower due to the lower speed limitations of the port.

Example: SanDisk Extreme SSD, which supports SATA 6Gb/s interface and when connected to SATA 6Gb/s port, can reach up to 550/520MB/s sequential read and sequential write speed rates respectively. However, when the drive is connected to SATA 3 Gb/s port, it can reach up to 285/275MB/s sequential read and sequential write speed rates respectively.

• Thumbs Up 1

Well for SSD's i don't really know but transferspeeds are not that important..... they are usually fast enought its more about iops :-P

Doesn't look too bad for a used and filled ssd to the rim, if you leave some more space it runs on cocaine ( nCache runs flash cells as slc does some funny caching )

I can see on my own screen shot that i had 40Gb+ free thats no more, dang i need to delete some games.

The last time i checked your ssd type BX100 was Bargain/economy class and with these numbers i would be more statisfied, it destroys any hdd thats more than enought.....

For my experienece i have to say that my Samsung 840 Pro 256GB feels fast at work (Z77 corei5, Sata 6 on an Asrock board), but the sandisk is faster but not if you fill it hard  to the rim.

I am sure theres a tool for your BX100 to maintain firmware and health that should tell the right link speed read from the ssd itself.

@Tech Inferno Fan When i ran the bench, "sandisk ssd dashboard" complained not to run benchmarks with windows drive caching turned on and that it doesn't like the current benchmark software and will turn off some of its boost features :-P

as-ssd-bench SanDisk SDSSDXPS 03.03.2016 22-33-02.png

as-ssd-bench SanDisk SDSSDXPS 03.03.2016 22-33-20.png

• 8 months later...

@TBlazer

Ok there is a new bios update maybe it gives sata 3 again? Before you change the bios chip maybe an upgrade to the newest one is a good idear?

sp77971.exe 12MB (verry big for just a bios ^^ )

Version: F64 A

http://h20565.www2.hp.com/hpsc/swd/public/detail?sp4ts.oid=5056945&swItemId=ob_177061_1&swEnvOid=2096