Replaced r3 motherboard with r4 motherboard.

Hi guys so I replaced my MB in the R3 with a R4 MB because my mxm port was bad and sure enough my 780m is showing up and installed but for whatever reason my battery is not charging and I cannot flash from A12 to A11 unlocked because it needs the battery so I can finish setting up my 780m I heard its a error with the A12 bios. Any thoughts ?

Hi,

Does the battery get seen ok in the bios diagnostics and get reported as healthy? With the laptop off but the charger connected does the Alienware head pulse? Sounds like the bios may not be able to detect the id chip in the charger which could be faulty charger / charger cable / connector on motherboard.

Jon

The chip will have to be reprogrammed or replaced. I successfully flashed A05 from A12 using the USB boot method (because I couldn't flash in windows with battery not present)  and I was then going to install A11 and I forgot to put it in the esata port after I started the flash so held down the power button to stop it and when I went to reboot died :(

Hey umbrellacorp I have a M17X R3 and I am having issues getting my battery to charge as well, doing allot of online research I tried everything including flashing my bios from the A10 I had to the A12 some had recommended to possibly fix the issue which it didn't. So my issue was flashing the bios with a dead battery this is what I did, I opened device manager and the bios flashing program. With the bios flashing program open and on the screen that says something about when the battery is at 10% click continue I went to device manager i uninstalled the battery and AC adapter and scanned for new hardware and after reinstallation the bios program let me through and successfully flashed. Didn't fix my issue though. I need a new board and i'm going to swap My R3 board for a R4 board any tips you can give me and was it worth the swap for you instead of me getting another R3 board?

Yeah the r4 is a direct swap. Make sure you have them flash the a11 or older bios preferably a11 so you can flash  the modified bios. You must have A11 stock flashed before you flash the modified one for the settings for the gpu. I was doing fine was so tired and forgot to swap ports when I flashed.

My issue was battery not detected. Said 100% and not charging with no battery bar. I tried everything..

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/9/2016 at 4:10 PM, TheRealJonnyD said:

I have an r4 board in my r3, too. Everything works fine, though I hate that there is no longer on the fly switchable gfx. I hope you get your charging issue squared away.

JD

Did you use the msata port on your MB yet ? what about the old cpu, have you upgraded yet ? yeah that sucks but at least the card works. I have the 780m,I've heard the 980m works on the r4 wonder if i could get it working thought about buying one. I also just got my 120hz screen in so just waiting on the MB to get back. Being we cant use switchahble graphics the 120hc screen will work fine being it only works off the gpu apparently.

Edited by umbrellacorp

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/18/2016 at 8:03 AM, umbrellacorp said:

Did you use the msata port on your MB yet ? what about the old cpu, have you upgraded yet ? yeah that sucks but at least the card works. I have the 780m,I've heard the 980m works on the r4 wonder if i could get it working thought about buying one. I also just got my 120hz screen in so just waiting on the MB to get back. Being we cant use switchahble graphics the 120hc screen will work fine being it only works off the gpu apparently.

Please note msata port in R4 is only SATA 2 (3Gb/s). It will not be able to use full 500+MB/s  msata SSDs speeds due to the port limitation.