Here is my current working eGPU setup.

LAPTOP

Laptop: Lenovo w530

CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3740QM CPU @ 2.7GHz 

Storage: Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500G

iGPU: Intel(R) HD Graphics 4000

dGPU: NVIDIA Quadro K1000M

eGPU SETUP

GPU: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 950 Overclocked 2GB 128 Bit GDDR5 PCiE Video Graphics Cards GV-N950WF2OC-2GD

PSU: EVGA 500 W

Adapter: Bplus PE4C V3.0

INSTALLATION

1.       Convert from GPT/UEFI to MBR/BIOS using the directions on Tech Inferno Fan's setup page.

2.       Install Setup 1.3 from @Tech Inferno Fan.

3.       Download Nvidia driver: 361.91-desktop-win10-64bit for me.

4.       Plug in PSU, PE4C(SW1 = 1, SW2 = 2), and GPU.

5.       Turn off computer.

6.       Plug in Expresscard.

7.       Turn on computer, GPU fan comes on, PSU fan comes on.

8.       Check device manager for “standard VGA graphics adapter.” Install the device driver downloaded earlier. For me the driver kept only installing for my dGPU, even when I disabled it either in BIOS or in device manager. I just kept trying different combinations and restarting the computer until it worked. There is probably a better way to do this. Once device manager says “GTX 950” then move on. Or, maybe do the next step first?

9.       For me, the GTX 950 gave error 12. So, I tried a bunch of PCI-E compaction settings in Setup 1.3. It seems that the best one for me is it [ignore]dGPU, endpoint=56.25GB, compact iGPU + eGPU, force eGPU to 32 bit so that iGPU doesn’t take over. Then turn dGPU off. Add all of those steps to your startup.bat, and chainload into windows with mbr. Seems like it is automatically doing EC gen 2. Startup.bat looks like this:

- call iport dGPU off

- call vidwait 60

- call vidinit –d %eGPU%

- call pci

- :end

- call chainload mbr

10.   Now the eGPU will work just fine. I just chainload into windows to use the eGPU and start windows normally in order to use the dGPU.

PERFORMANCE 

I ran 3dmark11 on using my dPGU, my eGPU with and without Optimus, and finally with my CPU set to handle PhysX. Changing PhysX to CPU was basically the same as with using the GPU, but I kept it that way anyway. Overall I am super happy with how this turned out. I can now play modded-up Skyrim with depth of field (enb) on and rise of tomb raider on high with depth of field off. I also like Homeworld (playing the remastered one now) and can play with all effects maxed out an will  have fps >100, as long as vsync is off… with vsync on (default) I was getting 3fps, look out for that… Here are the 3dmark scores.

3dmark11

Score

Graphics

Physics

Combined

NVIDIA Quadro K1000M

P1284

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 950 – Optimus

P6787

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 950 – External

P7291

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 950 – External – CPU on PhysX

P7369

PREVIOUS ATTEMPTS AND NOTES

The first time I tried this, I bought everything new and plugged it in and got no eGPU fan turning. I spent a long time trying to trouble shoot and finally realized that the GPU was DOA. Once I got a replacement it took less than 1 hr to figure this out. Ha. I originally thought that maybe the V8.0 EXP GDC Beast [Expresscard Version] I was using could be broken so I switched to the PE4C that I am using now. Clearly the GPU was just broken so I have an extra gdc beast...

IMPROVEMENTS

Would love to know if people have ideas for improvements!

Edited by nando4
linked 3dmark11 results
  • Thumbs Up 1

• Tech Inferno Fan changed the title to 15" Lenovo W530 + GTX950@4Gbps+c-EC2 (PE4C V3.0) + Win10 [griffinator]
5 hours ago, griffinator said:

IMPROVEMENTS

Would love to know if people have ideas for improvements!

A comprehensive writeup. Thank you for your contribution :)

Only two other tidbits that could improve it further:

1. Some pictures of the rig all wired up and running to bring it all to life.

2. Benchmark runs of 3dmark13 (Firestrike) along with your 3dmark11 ones so can add you to the appropriate place on the leaderboard chart.

On 3/2/2016 at 8:41 PM, Tech Inferno Fan said:

1. Some pictures of the rig all wired up and running to bring it all to life.

2. Benchmark runs of 3dmark13 (Firestrike) along with your 3dmark11 ones so can add you to the appropriate place on the leaderboard chart.

Will do! Once I get a bit of time off that is :)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...