MSI 16f2 with GTX970m?

Basiura

Hello,

I have a stock non moded Msi Gt683dx with gtx570m and I want to upgrade it to some new gpu mostly gxt970m. Is it even possible? As far I understood I have to flash moded bios and modify my heatsink. But what should i do if i buy Clevo gpu. Is it necessary to flash it with msi vbios and it will work, or it is impossible to use clevo card insted of MSI?

thx for help

Edited by Basiura

no need to flash vbios.

you will need to use drivers with modded inf.

you can either modify your heatsink, or you can order one. MSI GT70 Dominator pro is using GTX970m.

That heatsink fits GT683 as well. It has the heat pipe to connect to CPU (cooler boost 2.0)

just search ebay or something for "MSI GTX970m heatsink"

I can confirm the heatsink for MSI 1761, 1762, fits 16f2 as well.

Edited by Bugii

20 hours ago, Bugii said:

no need to flash vbios.

you will need to use drivers with modded inf.

you can either modify your heatsink, or you can order one. MSI GT70 Dominator pro is using GTX970m.

That heatsink fits GT683 as well. It has the heat pipe to connect to CPU (cooler boost 2.0)

just search ebay or something for "MSI GTX970m heatsink"

I can confirm the heatsink for MSI 1761, 1762, fits 16f2 as well.

Why he needed to use modded Driver when he can use the MSI Vbios?

Here You can see the different Heatsinks for Nvidia GPU`s and the Modification for a GTX 970M / GTX 980M.

The cheapest Way is to modify Your own Heatsink from Your GTX 560M,ist only a little work.

I think You don`t want buy a Heatsink for this Money like this on Ebay: 272144365752

All Heatsinks in my Picture fits in every MS-16F1 / MS-16F2 / MS-16F3 / MS-16F4 / MS-1761 / MS-1762 / MS-1763

Red : Remove

Green: Upholster with Thermalpads

Blue: Thermalpaste

post-33931-14495001266004.jpg

Yup the Gt70 heatsink is too expensive, but I can see a problem there. I have 570m so my cooper part of heatsink is wider and only 20mm long. Should I fill the missing 4 mm by termopads or, by thermalpaste or just left it alone? If it really is as easy as it seems and require only drilling some part of heatsink and changing vbios I will order clevo gtx970m tomorrow. Thanks guys for all your help.

19 hours ago, Basiura said:

Yup the Gt70 heatsink is too expensive, but I can see a problem there. I have 570m so my cooper part of heatsink is wider and only 20mm longShould I fill the missing 4 mm by termopads or, by thermalpaste or just left it alone? If it really is as easy as it seems and require only drilling some part of heatsink and changing vbios I will order clevo gtx970m tomorrow. Thanks guys for all your help.

This seems like a huge risk. The copper should touch the entire core. There is a chance it will fit anyway though - I think the copper part is bigger than necessary.

Please note the green parts - where you need to add thermal pads, are 0.5cm high in some cases. You will need to put at least 2-3 layers of thermal pads there.

Some of them are supposed to cover mosfets for voltage. these things really needs to be kept cool and you cannot measure the temp on these - you can see only the temp on core.

23 hours ago, Bloetschkopf said:

Why he needed to use modded Driver when he can use the MSI Vbios?

Here You can see the different Heatsinks for Nvidia GPU`s and the Modification for a GTX 970M / GTX 980M.

The cheapest Way is to modify Your own Heatsink from Your GTX 560M,ist only a little work.

I think You don`t want buy a Heatsink for this Money like this on Ebay: 272144365752

All Heatsinks in my Picture fits in every MS-16F1 / MS-16F2 / MS-16F3 / MS-16F4 / MS-1761 / MS-1762 / MS-1763

Red : Remove

Green: Upholster with Thermalpads

Blue: Thermalpaste

post-33931-14495001266004.jpg

I said it's not necessary to flash. - if you don't flash, just use modded inf. Sorry, I should interpret that sentence better.

Need to be careful though, MSI has two types of each card - 970M 3GB and 6GB and 980M 4GB and 8GB. All 4 of them are MXM 3.0 cards.

He will need to get the right bios for his clevo card.

Some people don't feel comfortable or dont have tools to modify heatsink. You have to be careful, if you dremel something off, you cant get it back.

But yes, it's not that hard, it took me about 20 minutes to modify GTX560m heatsink for GTX770m. But you need to be careful, precise and make sure it fits perfectly. You really dont want the heatsink to touch anything it shouldnt.

New heatsink is expensive, I give you that, but you can be sure it will fit, you dont have to "fake" missing parts by adding 3 layers of thermal pads (which greatly reduce heat condictivity) and as a bonus, you are getting additional heatpipe (cooler boost2) connected to CPU heatsink which helps to reduce or even out the temps, depending on on GPU/CPU usage.

I's about personal preference imho. If you have skills to do it yourself, its cheaper.

I personally wouldnt mind throwing couple of dozens bucks more for heatsink that is a bit more efficient, especially for a GPU that is quite expensive as well.

1 hour ago, Bugii said:

This seems like a huge risk. The copper should touch the entire core. There is a chance it will fit anyway though - I think the copper part is bigger than necessary.

Please note the green parts - where you need to add thermal pads, are 0.5cm high in some cases. You will need to put at least 2-3 layers of thermal pads there.

Some of them are supposed to cover mosfets for voltage. these things really needs to be kept cool and you cannot measure the temp on these - you can see only the temp on core.

I said it's not necessary to flash. - if you don't flash, just use modded inf. Sorry, I should interpret that sentence better.

Need to be careful though, MSI has two types of each card - 970M 3GB and 6GB and 980M 4GB and 8GB. All 4 of them are MXM 3.0 cards.

He will need to get the right bios for his clevo card.

Some people don't feel comfortable or dont have tools to modify heatsink. You have to be careful, if you dremel something off, you cant get it back.

But yes, it's not that hard, it took me about 20 minutes to modify GTX560m heatsink for GTX770m. But you need to be careful, precise and make sure it fits perfectly. You really dont want the heatsink to touch anything it shouldnt.

New heatsink is expensive, I give you that, but you can be sure it will fit, you dont have to "fake" missing parts by adding 3 layers of thermal pads (which greatly reduce heat condictivity) and as a bonus, you are getting additional heatpipe (cooler boost2) connected to CPU heatsink which helps to reduce or even out the temps, depending on on GPU/CPU usage.

I's about personal preference imho. If you have skills to do it yourself, its cheaper.

I personally wouldnt mind throwing couple of dozens bucks more for heatsink that is a bit more efficient, especially for a GPU that is quite expensive as well.

That`s right,but for everyone who can flash a Vbios and modify a Heatsink it is cheaper.

With a GTX 970M You can use every Heatsink,also the GTX 570M Heatsink is OK because the Temperatur are low.

On 3/3/2016 at 6:53 PM, Bloetschkopf said:

That`s right,but for everyone who can flash a Vbios and modify a Heatsink it is cheaper.

With a GTX 970M You can use every Heatsink,also the GTX 570M Heatsink is OK because the Temperatur are low.

better cooling enables higher overclock potential though. And GTX 970m is a beast. I was able to push mine +360core +300memory while overvolting by 50mV. Temps are at 86C but the difference in performance is day and night.

But yes, as for "just getting it to work", handmade heatsink would be more than enough. At stock clock, mine didnt went past 72C (GTX580m in the same machine reached 87C any day.)

• 1 month later...

I just bought a GTX 970m 6gb from a guy Woodzstacks in Canada (i have a Medion Erazer X6819 / MSI GT683) - he asked the model of Laptop etc and the Kit came right from the factory with vbois already done - all i did was mod the heatsink as in the diagram above. He was very helpful with advice on modding etc and i highly recommend him.

I think there is a bit of a bottleneck with the 2670 i7 so i'm looking at upgrading that next.  Only thing is driver update and is on 353.54 drivers - obviously needs modded drivers so i'll have to wait but the games run fine on it.

Not sure what is the best CPU for my upgrade but have been looking at i7 3840QM 

Hi guys,

I'm wondering if this card http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-Nvidia-GeForce-GTX-970M-6GB-DDR5-MXM-3-0-Type-B-for-Clevo-Alienware-MSI-/282018741611?hash=item41a9a07d6b:g:W6gAAOSwvFZW7Ntl

would post straight away in my 16f2.

If not, would I need to upgrade the vbios? How? Or a modded driver?

Would the 2670qm be a perceptible bottleneck or is the upgrade still worth it?

Thanks

Edited by hal9000ht

18 hours ago, hal9000ht said:

Hi guys,

I'm wondering if this card http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-Nvidia-GeForce-GTX-970M-6GB-DDR5-MXM-3-0-Type-B-for-Clevo-Alienware-MSI-/282018741611?hash=item41a9a07d6b:g:W6gAAOSwvFZW7Ntl

would post straight away in my 16f2.

If not, would I need to upgrade the vbios? How? Or a modded driver?

Would the 2670qm be a perceptible bottleneck or is the upgrade still worth it?

Thanks

Not sure about that one but.....   this is the guy i bought mine from Canada and went straight into my laptop (MS-16F2) - with a slight mod on the 570m heatsink - he was very helpful and the card comes from the factory with bios already done, and included thermal pads and paste, and he put the parcel down as a £25 VGA "Gift" to avoid the customs duty - he's worth talking to 

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/nVidia-GeForce-GTX-970M-6GB-for-MSI-ALIENWARE-CLEVO-/182107625678

Mine is running sweet so far with 2670QM and 8gb ram - BO3 and BF4 run fine on it maxxed out!!!

Thanks,

I assume that the card will arrive with the Clevo vBios and it might need modded drivers or even more unlikely a vBios reflashing.

Can the Clevo heatsink be used with the 16f2?

Because I already replaced the 570m by a 7970m and I lost the 570m heatsink.

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I tried to upgrade my 16f2 with a 970m Clevo card using my old 7970m heatsink but apparently is does not fit.

Anyone knows how to fix that or where to buy a new heatsink?

Many thanks

Edited by hal9000ht

• 9 months later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 3/16/2017 at 12:48 PM, Ganjax said:

If someone interessed, i have GTX970M 6GB for sell. For 250$. I can flash vbios before send card.

Hello, I am also interested in this card. is it much better than 8970m, with which I have many problems to run it.

• 3 years later...
  • 11 months later...