765m m17xr2 white screen on start up unless I disable HD Audio

ServusFidelis

I would love some direct help to the problem I am having.  I bought this card solely because it stays very cool....and to play low  quality games.   

I have installed the modded driver.  My dilemma is that when the computer starts it goes to a white screen after the windows 10 boot up logo.     I restarted the laptop and have to press F2 to go into the BIOS to deactivate the onboard sound.  Upon doing this my speakers obviously won't work so I am forced to wear USB headphones.       Does anyone have any suggestions in regards to this problem?     Is there a way that someone has found out to where I can get the onboard sound working with this card?  Or should i sell it and go back to a gtx 285 so i can have both video and sound?         (the 6970m or 7970m ran hot so i took them out and didn't want to have to buy a 3 pipe heatsink only to have to modifiy  my casing, nor did i want or desire to flash an undervolt.)    

But sticking with the main question at hand.  I would be grateful for suggestions and help regarding getting the external sound to work with the 765m.

Do i need Wndows 8.1?  Windows 7?    etc possibly so the white screen won't show up having a conflict with the audio when i enable it from the bios?   To use this computer currently i permanently have audio disabled in the bios.

Edited by ServusFidelis

• 1 month later...

I upgraded my laptop GPU twice now, once to a GTX 580 about 3 years ago and to a GTX 770 about a year ago.  When I ran the 580 the sound card worked but once I jumped to the 770 I had the same issues as you are having and the only solution was to disable the sound card.  So now I just use a USB headset.  I run Windows 7 and have tried a number of different tweaks to see if I could solve the driver conflict but I was not able to.  I think it really comes down to something in the BIOS code that may need to be adjusted which is beyond my abilities.  However personally I have gotten over it and now and happy that I can still use my R2 to play current games at a good quality 6 years after I purchase it new.  I had posted the same question you had to a number of sites about a year ago but came up empty.  My last hope that maybe Windows 10 would solve it but looks like from your experience, that is not that case which for me points more at this is something that needs a BIOS code tweak.

Speaking of Windows 10, I was thinking of doing that upgrade.  How did that upgrade go for you, all the drivers working ok?

Thanks

Mike

• 1 year later...

Hello, 

I am facing the same issue as the fella above. Whenever I boot my Alienware m15x I got a white screen after the windows screen, eventually I figured it out that if you disable the audio in BIOS it runs perfectly fine, question is does anyone have a solution to fix the issue and having sound back again?

I recently  reinstalled Windows which caused me the problem( was perfectly fine beforehand) , I was using win 7 before, now upgraded to win 10.

I have a Gtx 770m card, and a modded nvidia driver for it. 

Any help would be greatly appreciated 

Thanks 
Dave

• 3 months later...

I'm having a similar problem. 

My M18x R1 has gone through 2 upgrades from the default 580M. I had a 7970HD installed which died. I recently bought a NVIDIA 765M and it would not give me a display  / no beeps. Removed the card and flashed the unlocked BIOS. Now reinstalled the card. It gave me 8 beeps switched it off and now it gives me a grey / white screen. Any help here?