This upgrade is possible on my notebook?

Hello everyone!? I'm coming here to take some questions on my notebook. The thing is, it's been a long time I'm trying to do an upgrade on my notebook and upgrade consists of the processor change. I've been researching and realized that my notebook (Acer E1 571 6404) has compatibility with the Intel Core i7 2630QM processor that is a good processor, but gave a searched and managed to find a Core i7 2670QM (the notebook's motherboard chipset is M77 ) I saw that she also supports Ivy Bridge processors, but I do not have confirmation on that. My question is, my notebook supports any of these processors (i7 2630QM x i7 2670QM)? For want to upgrade my notebook because I run it eGPU and future plan to change graphics card, probably the new 400 series AMD Radeon. guys hugs!

PS: If this is not the correct area to this topic Sorry!

• 2 weeks later...

If that laptop supports Ivy Bridge I find it very weird that it only shipped with sandy bridge CPUs.

The strongest CPUs you can put in that are Sandy bridge are the 2860qm, 2920xm, and 2960xm. I wouldn't go for anything slower than a 2760qm or else the upgrade is too small. Sandy Bridge CPUs are quite a bit cheaper than Ivy Bridge, so might as well stay Sandy Bridge to play it safe.

I think the big issue is if your laptop is good for an eGPU or not, and how much you want to spend on an eGPU. With the CPU and GPU upgrade you may want to just consider an entirely new laptop. I'm guessing you're going for an x1 2.0 optimus setup?

Edited by Khenglish

• 1 month later...
On 08/03/2016 at 3:02 PM, TomasM said:

In theory you should run all processors with FCPGA988 socket, unless the power supply is to weak to run more power hungry cpu's.

On 08/03/2016 at 3:28 PM, Khenglish said:

If that laptop supports Ivy Bridge I find it very weird that it only shipped with sandy bridge CPUs.

The strongest CPUs you can put in that are Sandy bridge are the 2860qm, 2920xm, and 2960xm. I wouldn't go for anything slower than a 2760qm or else the upgrade is too small. Sandy Bridge CPUs are quite a bit cheaper than Ivy Bridge, so might as well stay Sandy Bridge to play it safe.

I think the big issue is if your laptop is good for an eGPU or not, and how much you want to spend on an eGPU. With the CPU and GPU upgrade you may want to just consider an entirely new laptop. I'm guessing you're going for an x1 2.0 optimus setup?

Yeah, I also found it odd a notebook with chipset ivy bridge using sandy bridge processor. On the eGPU, but I'm running it on PE4C v2.0 on x16 and X1 bus. Performance is much good, taking into account the notebook (Intel Core i5 2450m) with a GTX 580. But it is getting very obsolete and I intend to get a new GPU. So I want to have some assurance of compatibility of the CPU i7 I quoted.

Be sure that your notebook can handle the heat from the newer CPU, I find most can handle whatever TDP, assuming the power supply is enough watts, but cooling is a whole other matter.
Also think about whether it'll have a perceivable benefit for your money, I personally find my Dell Precision M6600's i7 2720qm is more than good enough, even with a decent GPU, and so long as you have a quad core i7, the difference in fps is nearly nothing in most games.

With an eGPU you will very likely see a large bottleneck from the limited bandwidth of expresscard or mPCIe than your CPU.

It's up to you of course, but I'd personally recommend looking for a pre-owned Alienware M15x r2 (first gen i-series cpu), upgrade to an i7 if you already have one and find a dirt cheap Dell Quadro K4000m, or for about $100 less, a K3000m, it'll likely cost you less than this whole setup, I've found an M15xfor as low as $300AUD on ebay if it has a dead gpu (which you're going to replace yourself anyway), alternatively an P1x0HM, (or P1x0EM if you can find one for cheap) Clevo or Sager notebook, and essentially any decent cheap Clevo MXM GPU you can get your hands on (I'm unsure if a dell K4000m or k3000m would work in these machines).

Edited by arbitrarygrill