[Advice] I'm planning to buy an Y50

Jankychopii

4700hq processor, 860m graphics card and 4k. From the experience on this forum, is it a good buy? Any overheating when pushing it on gaming? Any common problems or any reason I should avoid it? I'm probably getting it for $500, any advice on it would be appreciate it.

Edited by Jankychopii

I would say go for it, for 500 you cant lose. The y50's dont have the heat problems that the y510p's did. Once the games progress you always will have a solid processor and 4k screen and then can continue to use the laptop with an eGPU. Only negative is the 860m is about as fast as the y510p's 755m sli. Its not the fastest but will still play everything in 1080p on low settings.

• Thumbs Up 1

For the price I'd say yes! Buy! 

One thing that really bugs me is the locked BIOS Lenovo implements by default. You can get it unlocked following guides here or contacting somebody on here who can help you. 

In my case I have yet to unlock my BIOS and I'm still awaiting a reply back from the forums for help.

• Thumbs Up 1

Meh, the unlocked BIOS doesn't really provide much more control/things you can't do using ordinary software, at least from my perspective of a person who likes to tinker with overclocking and such. Most of the options in the unlocked BIOS either don't work well or can brick the laptop(ie undervolting which just bricks one's laptop even when going with -1 increment).  The only thing that's valuable when it comes to BIOS modding is the ability to force GPU overclocks much higher than the 135 mhz limit, but it is a seperate mod not connected with BIOS unlock. Frankly the only thing that was interesting in the unlocked BIOS I have was the removal of MSR locks on the power limits - with this one can kinda force the CPU to consume 58 Watts, but it's not really consistent with it - sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

So basically the gains achieved with an unlocked BIOS aren't that good. The best that can be done with this laptop is OC'ing the GPU and forcing the CPU to run on 3.6Ghz on 4 cores. Then the beast in this laptop is unleashed, but for that to happen one also needs a repaste or any other cooling mod, because the temps aren't great even on stock and skyrocket when the clocks are raised.

• Thumbs Up 1

Although it is an older generation (replaced by current Y700), for $500 you have nothing to lose. Regarding overheating, I think it's just okay in term of cooling,. You will feel warm and a bit uncomfortable when gaming for long (well, maybe it's just me.).

• Thumbs Up 1

Thanks for the info everyone! Moving from a m14x with a 3610qm processor with a 650m graphics card and 768p resolution, this should be a decent upgrade. When Pascal releases then I'll buy a good gaming PC, till then I'll just get a cheap decent one which the Y50 seems like the one that fits the category.