ExpressCard to mPCIe/PCI-E adaptor. Connect eGPU without removing your WLAN.

Folanco

I was looking at the products over at BPlus and HWtools main websites and was wondering "Why would a company make so many ends for the same adapter?!"

For example if you want to order a PE4C v3.0 adapter, you MUST choose one end to it, mPCIe or ExpressCard or PCI-E . You CAN'T have an all in one version.

This way you - as the customer - end with a product that only works with a specific type of ports. And they - as the selling company - have to lose more on making different types of ends for adapters.

So, I made some research and found this amazing product Link HERE .

56cbb49e67e01_ECtomPCIe.thumb.png.05c11f

Which basically serves as an adapter from ExpressCards ports to mPCIe or to the normal PCI-E port.

Now you can get a mPCIe eGPU adaptor that can be connected to your mPCIe through ExpressCard slots Without removing you WLAN.

Maybe you are using you EC slot, maybe you don't want to get an adaptor that only works with an EC slot. Whatever your reason is, I found this to be the solution. And now you can use the same eGPU adapter for different laptops (one with EC, and one with mPCIe/PCI-E)

I'm sure there are more adapters that can have all the possible combinations of ports, but this one is just the start, I haven't searched for more yet. I'm sure there is a cheaper one, or someone who can make a cheap one of the same type. HWTools should consider doing this.

Just wanted to share what I've found.

Edit: Maybe title needs to change to mPCIe/PCI-E to ExpressCard adaptor? :/ I don't know. But you get it my friends.

Edited by Folanco

25 minutes ago, Folanco said:

I was looking at the products over at BPlus and HWtools main websites and was wondering "Why would a company make so many ends for the same adapter?!"

For example if you want to order a PE4C v3.0 adapter, you MUST choose one end to it, mPCIe or ExpressCard or PCI-E . You CAN'T have an all in one version.

BPlus have a PE4C V2.1 and there's also an EXP GDC Beast. Either can be used on a mPCIe or EC slot by changing the HDMI end cable.

Problem with those is they introduce reflective noise due to the socket interconnects and so cannot be run at full Gen2 speed on 2nd-gen i-core or newer notebooks.

BPlus solved the problem by soldering a cable onto the adapter in their PE4C V3.0. EXP GDC hasn't as yet fixed it.

So unfortunately, this modular "solution" has already been provided in a slightly different form and has not been satisfactory.  Most users with Gen2 capability simply want a Gen2 capable adapter, which this is not.

If using a 1st gen-icore or older notebook then yes, you can use this. But why bother when EXP GDC or PE4C V2.1  is a better eGPU adapter?

• Thumbs Up 2

3 minutes ago, Tech Inferno Fan said:

BPlus have a PE4C V2.1 and there's also an EXP GDC Beast. Either can be used on a mPCIe or EC slot by changing the HDMI end cable.

Problem with those is they introduce reflective noise due to the socket interconnects and so cannot be run at full Gen2 speed on 2nd-gen i-core or newer notebooks.

BPlus solved the problem by soldering a cable onto the adapter in their PE4C V3.0. EXP GDC hasn't as yet fixed it.

So unfortunately, this modular "solution" has already been provided in a slightly different form and has not been satisfactory.  Most users with Gen2 capability simply want a Gen2 capable adapter, which this is not.

If using a 1st gen-icore or older notebook then yes, you can use this. But why bother when EXP GDC or PE4C V2.1  is a better eGPU adapter?

Ah. I thought there was a drawback for this one in connectivity or something.

But never figured what it was.

Thanks a lot. This makes sense. 

On 2/23/2016 at 4:09 AM, Tech Inferno Fan said:

Is there any other solution or a newer adapter that supports newer GENs and laptops but with the ability to change the output easily? like that cable solution but without any problems? I would like to buy something that serves a wide range of laptops and PCs.

Something like PE4C V3.0 performance and PE4C V2.1 usability. Something that brings the good of both versions.

I hope in the future for an overall all-in-one solution. Like an eGPU station/adapter that can output to EC, mPCIe, TB by just changing the cable or switching to a different port without any problems and also offers maximum bandwidth for any port used.

Edited by Folanco

2 hours ago, Folanco said:

Is there any other solution or a newer adapter that supports newer GENs and laptops but with the ability to change the output easily? like that cable solution but without any problems? I would like to buy something that serves a wide range of laptops and PCs.

Something like PE4C V3.0 performance and PE4C V2.1 usability. Something that brings the good of both versions.

I hope in the future for an overall all-in-one solution. Like an eGPU station/adapter that can output to EC, mPCIe, TB by just changing the cable or switching to a different port without any problems and also offers maximum bandwidth for any port used.

Nope.. either have the cabled solution of PE4C V2.1 or EXP GDC that gives problems with Gen2 signalling, or get a soldered cable PE4C V3.0 or PE4L 2.1b. The latter rated at up to Gen3 speeed.

• Thumbs Up 1