7970m in a GT780 DXR

noooname

so i've got an old 7970m from a gx60 so it has a msi vBIOS version 015.024 on it im wondering if i will need to downgrade to the Dell vBIOS version 015.017 for the GPU to function correctly?

Second question is that ive read i need to enable legacy support in the BIOS  with an unlocked BIOS version, will this still need to be done even though the 7970m has an MSI vBIOS?

any help is greatly appreciated, thankyou

4 hours ago, Bloetschkopf said:

This Card works only when it is a Revision 1.2 with Clevo Non Enduro Vbios.

All other HD7970M are not working,if You are lucky it starts into Windows with Blackscreen.

wrong, sorry.

Yes, the card works, no vBIOS update needed whatsoever, doesn't matter which revision, doesn't matter what vBIOS version.

All you need is unlocked BIOS - go there and find the settings to use Legacy ROM for PCI express settings instead of EFI Compatible.

Whole "non-enduro" thing is a myth.

OP:

search these forums for term "Legacy ROM". I've posted some guidance where to find it. I don't remember now.

But it works. I got Dell HD7970M working in MSI GX660. - yes the first gen laptop.

There is one catch though - until you turn that settings in BIOS, screen will be black.  At least on GX660 it was, since there is no iGPU.

I went to BIOS while the old card was in. Switched the settings. Turned off PC, swapped cards, turned on PC, Booted flawlessly, no issues.

And yes, you need to do that even if your card has MSI vBIOS. MSI GT780DXR is Sandy Bridge, doesnt have iGPU.

Edited by Bugii
  • Thumbs Up 1

MS-16F1 is not MS-16F2/MS-1761

In MS-16F1 works also all Kepler GK104 like GTX 670MX -GTX 880M and all  Quadro KxxxM on the same Chip,in MS-16F2/MS-1761 they dosn`t work.

Two of my Friends have a GX660 with Quadro K3000M,the Power is better than a GTX 580M/GTX675M

Edited by Bloetschkopf

20 hours ago, Bloetschkopf said:

MS-16F1 is not MS-16F2/MS-1761

In MS-16F1 works also all Kepler GK104 like GTX 670MX -GTX 880M and all  Quadro KxxxM on the same Chip,in MS-16F2/MS-1761 they dosn`t work.

Two of my Friends have a GX660 with Quadro K3000M,the Power is better than a GTX 580M/GTX675M

so are you saying i will need to downgrade the vBIOS as well as setting the the legacy rom for the pci express settings

My Expirience is that only the HD7970M Revision 1.2 works in MS-1761.

I tried it with two  HD7970M Revision 1.1 and Clevo Non Enduro Vbios and it don`t works,the Notebook starts with Blackscreen into Windows.

And all Expiroiences of other People i know are the same as mine-maybe some other People know it better.

8 minutes ago, Bloetschkopf said:

My Expirience is that only the HD7970M Revision 1.2 works in MS-1761.

I tried it with two  HD7970M Revision 1.1 and Clevo Non Enduro Vbios and it don`t works,the Notebook starts with Blackscreen into Windows.

And all Expiroiences of other People i know are the same as mine-maybe some other People know it better.

alright cheers ill try without flashing the vBIOS first and if it doesnt work ill know what to do

1 hour ago, noooname said:

alright cheers ill try without flashing the vBIOS first and if it doesnt work ill know what to do

that would be your best bet.

I made the same Dell HD7970M working in both 16F1 and 1761 (GX660 and GT780R)

I didn't have to flash anything in neither of the two laptops.

My radeon had 015.022 bios if I remember corretly.

It was not 015.017 for sure, and it worked even though everyone was telling me to .017 is the only one that works.

3 hours ago, Bugii said:

that would be your best bet.

I made the same Dell HD7970M working in both 16F1 and 1761 (GX660 and GT780R)

I didn't have to flash anything in neither of the two laptops.

My radeon had 015.022 bios if I remember corretly.

It was not 015.017 for sure, and it worked even though everyone was telling me to .017 is the only one that works.

alright cheers man sounds pretty promising will let you guys know how it goes

• 3 weeks later...