Mac Pro 6.1 AkitioTB2 + GTX 980 CODE 12 WIN10

lithio

Hello,

First of all thank you guys for the Awesome e-gpu script an loads of feedback and Information about this.

My Setup

Mac Pro 6.1 > 6 Core > 64GB RAM > D500 > 512GB Flash

2 x Apple Thunderbold Displays

1 x Dell U2713h Display

GTX 980 4GB Evga 

aktio TB2 Case 

corsair 550PSU 

Running system Mac 10.10.3 

my First Steps

Build the e-Gpu Hardware

everything works fine , i am using a Powercord with Foot Switch to Turn it on

Second steps

Install of e-Gpu Script worked 100% no Problem at all

Restart in to Mac OSX Connect DELL 27 to GTX 980 

Runnig Test = all OK  , Cinebench, Unigine Valley, Luxmark etc...

Third steps

I have Win10pro installed on Thunderbold SSD External beacause of more Space

Start UP

Turn ON MAc PRO by holding ALT > wait for Mac Chime

and Start egpu with Switch right after Chime

Wait for Bootselction 

Choose WIN an hit enter

Boot time 7 Seconds

look to Device manager , i see GTX 980 must install Driver , i did 361.75

Restart Win10

after restart Mac Pro boots up and Shows GTX 980 (DEVICE Manager CODE 12 ) 

????

please help  

i did deaktivate the D500 gpu

Edited by lithio

too bad , the nMP is a nice little Mac to have but the D500 suck if you need Cuda Cores under WIndows,

i guess i´ll keep reading about iMac 5k Late2015 and e-gpu looks promising from Performance on Both OS´s Mac&Win.with external 4k Display for the egpu

On ‎17‎/‎02‎/‎2016 at 6:26 AM, lithio said:

Third steps

I have Win10pro installed on Thunderbold SSD External beacause of more Space

Start UP

Turn ON MAc PRO by holding ALT > wait for Mac Chime

and Start egpu with Switch right after Chime

Wait for Bootselction 

Choose WIN an hit enter

Boot time 7 Seconds

look to Device manager , i see GTX 980 must install Driver , i did 361.75

Restart Win10

after restart Mac Pro boots up and Shows GTX 980 (DEVICE Manager CODE 12 ) 

????

please help  

i did deaktivate the D500 gpu

1. Remove ALL existing NVidia drivers, then use 'DDU' software to remove NVidia registry entries as well as disable automatic driver installation. Reboot system and load latest NVidia desktop driver:  https://www.techinferno.com/index.php?/forums/topic/9289-optimus-now-works-in-win10-using-36175-driver/

2. Free up dGPU resources:  Go to Device Manager -> View Devices By connection. Find your D500 dGPU.  Directly above it will be a PCIe Bridge. Disable it. When you do, the D500 will completely disappear.

3.  Re-allocate your TB chain in an attempt to fix error 12.  Go to Device Manager -> View Resources By connection. Find your eGPU. Now directly above it will be a multitude of PCIe bridges (5 or so). Disable them one at a time working your way up. Once done. Re-enable them again.

4. If you still see error 12, then the final fix that has worked for ZBook and Lenovo W54x Thunderbolt users is to perform a DSDT override: https://www.techinferno.com/index.php?/forums/topic/5874-guide-dsdt-override-to-fix-error-12/

I'll add too that the Thunderbolt SSD adds complexity to the eGPU allocation since it too needs to be allocated.   I'd suggest do initial testing using a USB 3.0 drive instead.  Then later on can add it and see if can get the drive + eGPU working concurrently. They should be on separate Thunderbolt buses to ensure don't share bandwidth: http://www.fcpworks.com/thunderbolt-bus-mapping-new-mac-pro/

• Thumbs Up 1

I did try to follow your sugestions , Installed Win10 on via bootcamp on the Internal SSD to free up Thunderbold I/O traffic

in Device Manager i did find the D500 and deactiveted both, but the Egpu still was on Code 12. 

than i did a noobish move and deaktivate a wrong PCI Bride and got BSOD, after that i wasnt abel to boot Win10 no more

i than used BCDEDIT to try PCIexpress forcedisable and that didnt work either ! 

will reinstall win10 and try it again ! can you post a Screenshot with the right PCI Bridge ( at least what it looks like ) as i have plenty of them not only 5  

3 hours ago, lithio said:

I did try to follow your sugestions , Installed Win10 on via bootcamp on the Internal SSD to free up Thunderbold I/O traffic

in Device Manager i did find the D500 and deactiveted both, but the Egpu still was on Code 12. 

than i did a noobish move and deaktivate a wrong PCI Bride and got BSOD, after that i wasnt abel to boot Win10 no more

will reinstall win10 and try it again ! can you post a Screenshot with the right PCI Bridge ( at least what it looks like ) as i have plenty of them not only 5  

If you go to View->Devices By Connection then the Bridges will appear above ordered above the dGPU and eGPU. There is no way of choosing the incorrect ones when viewed that way.

Same problem here. I tried fiddling with DSDT override but I couldn't get it done. I got errors on compiling. We don't even know if this works with the mac pro though.

Hope there would be an automated process, like in OSX.

• 1 month later...
On 2016年2月18日 at 2:57 AM, lithio said:

hi there

im also a nMP user try to use eGPU in windows, but got error 12

so, did u get it work in windows? i mean, after Tech Inferno Fan said?

because im stucked here too

Edited by heeroyuyj

@heeroyuyj This is not an easily solvable problem. I've built an eGPU for my mac pro and it just sits on my desk catching dust now.

There is a guy on the netkas forum that's saying that he managed to make it work several months ago but apparently his pride is having a hard time letting him share this with the world.

Basically we just have to wait for a driver update/windows update or for this guy to cut the crap and just share it already.

This world is so pathetic.

1 hour ago, razvani said:

@heeroyuyj This is not an easily solvable problem. I've built an eGPU for my mac pro and it just sits on my desk catching dust now.

There is a guy on the netkas forum that's saying that he managed to make it work several months ago but apparently his pride is having a hard time letting him share this with the world.

Basically we just have to wait for a driver update/windows update or for this guy to cut the crap and just share it already.

This world is so pathetic.

yeah, i tried all the possible way to get rid the error 12, but...

so, i return all the stuff i brought for a full refund...