RapidDrive VS ExpressCache

tiger_1829

I just recently clean installed with Windows 10. I'm somewhat confused with the caching feature for my mSATA SSD. People on other forums have shared their frustration on getting the caching feature to work and have narrowed them down to Intel's Rapid Storage Technology's Acceleration feature, Lenovo RapidDrive, and ExpressCache. I scoured all over to find my particular instance but I was left more confused than when I started. I did learn that the acceleration feature no longer works since I do not have an acceleration tab anymore and that RapidDrive no longer seems to apply. I've yet to try ExpressCache. Anyone who has experience with this can lead me to the right direction? 

Ive been using express cache myself.  I bought the version of the Y500 without an SSD.  Shortly after I bought a 32GB Crucial mpcie SSD and installed it myself.  I then dealt with the exact question as I was trying to figure out how to make sure it worked.  I ended up going with ExpressCache, though I also had the Intel Rapid Storage on my system.  ExpressCache can be a little confusing as there isnt a specific utility, its all command line based.  But if you get it installed you can confirm it working via the command line and then you are good.  As you may be aware your SSD will not show up under my computer. 

This is what I followed to get it working:

https://support.lenovo.com/us/en/documents/ht074404

Thanks man, seems like I managed to get it working I think. I ran "eccmd -info" in my CMD after installing ExpressCache and letting it take over my entire mSATA and this is what I got:

EC Cache Info
==================================================

Mounted                   : Yes
Partition Size            : 14.88 GB
Reserved Size             : 2.00 MB
Volume Size               : 14.88 GB
Total Used Size           : 12.92 GB
Total Free Space          : 1.96 GB
Used Data Size            : 12.85 GB
Used Data Size on Disk    : 12.92 GB

Tiered Cache Stats
Memory in use             : 1024.00 MB
Blocks in use             : 8188
Read Percent              : 5.64%

Cache Stats
Cache Volume Drive Number : 0
Total Read Count          : 5867
Total Read Size           : 262.84 MB
Total Cache Read Count    : 2855
Total Cache Read Size     : 115.09 MB
Total Write Count         : 18299
Total Write Size          : 430.77 MB
Total Cache Write Count   : 12711
Total Cache Write Size    : 141.97 MB

Cache Read Percent        : 43.79%
Cache Write Percent       : 32.96%

You bet.  Looks good to me, I get a similar readout.  It will take some time to notice the effects, but once it establishes your common used files etc, it really speeds certain things up, especially boot times.

Edited by IR1