How to do a proper format?

tiger_1829

Hey TechInferno Community,

I'm new to formatting a machine and it just so happens that the first machine that I really want to clean up my system is the Y580 with its 16GB mSata + 1 TB 5400 RPM combo. I'm not really well versed in learning how to install Windows at all but what I really want to do is simply reinstall Windows 10 back onto my computer with absolutely nothing on it besides the bare minimum. I bought this laptop when it came with Windows 8 and I have gone and made the upgrade to Windows 10 not through a clean installation. When I checked my partitions, I saw a lot more than I last remembered... 

I sifted through many articles and basically understand a bit when it came to reinstalling Windows in general but I'm not too sure with the Y580 setup. I hope someone out there can help fix this weird partitioning and giving steps on how to reformat! Thanks a lot :)

OK 
so the 16gb mSATA is your Cache drive.

The 1tb 5400 RPM drive is your main storage and OS drive.

The partitions you are seeing are due to windows 10 upgrade services.

It allows you to revert back to win8 if you do not like what win10 has to offer.

Believe they are backups/images of your older system.

Just pop in the win10 media via usb or dvd and boot from taht and just format the drives and good to go.

• Thumbs Up 1

I wanted to find an article that matched my situation but it seemed like most people who wanted to reinstall Windows on their Y580 also popped in a separate SSD. In this one forum, they stated that they used RapidDrive to take the HDD + SSD apart so that reinstalling Windows would work. I'm not sure if it applies to me and if I would just use the same tool to fuse them together.

http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/lenovo-y580-clean-install-guide.690046/

Edit 1: Also, when I run the Windows installation, I won't be needing a product key since I've already activated Windows 10 before? Secondly,  do I delete all the partitions excluding the ones I think are from mSATA and D Drive (Which may contain OKR) and format the main HDD?

Edit 2: Isn't it strange that after directly upgrading my Win 8 machine to Win 10 that I now see my mSATA SSD initialized as my Disk 0 even though it's supposed to be hidden?

Edited by tiger_1829
Forgot link

Looks like RapidDrive is no longer active in my machine as I think it once did when I had when it was factory new. It's weird how they managed to get RapidDrive, I think, to work on my machine since you had to have Windows installed on the SSD but I don't think the SSD is big enough to store it. RapidDrive would then fuse them together. I just went ahead and clean installed normally and cleared out all the partitions and installed Windows on the HDD. I'm planning on using the SSD as cache.

I guess I was able to find answers to my previous post through some experimentation and research. Supposedly, my mSATA SSD was initialized on my Disk 0 because RapidDrive wasn't used to enhance performance but ExpressCache was.

• 1 month later...