Upgrade from P750ZM to P750DM is it worth it ?

Hello.

This might look like a strange question to ask but I would like to know if at this point it is worth it upgrading from a P750ZM to a P750DM-G ?

My current specs are the best I could get in my ZM.

-i7 4790K (overclocked) @ 4.3 GHZ

-16 GB Ram Hyper X Impact DDR3

-GTX 980M custom Vbios (Overclocked)

-2 x Samsung 950 Pro 500 Gb V-Nand SSD

-1X 1TO SSHD (seagate) 7200.

I was wondering if there is any advantage the DM has over the ZM are Intel 6 gen processors worth it over my i7 4790K ?

Is there any advantage of having thunderbolt on a laptop that's already up-gradable ?

Is there any other advantages of getting a DM-G at this point in time.

I have been hearing a lot about 6 gen intel and the new 750DM-G's but I got my ZM expecting to keep it for at least two years upgrading to a top of the line PASCAL GPU along the way when those are available and when the bios updates are available before buying a new clevo barebone and transferring my GPU and SSD's into my new clevo system when I purchase it I was expecting to do this at around X-Mas 2016-Early 2017.

Is there any good reason for upgrading before end 2016 early 2017 ?

I am currently torn between sending the money in this hobby or in another one (film photography).....

Thank you in advance for your help and advice !

Hello.

This might look like a strange question to ask but I would like to know if at this point it is worth it upgrading from a P750ZM to a P750DM-G ?

My current specs are the best I could get in my ZM.

-i7 4790K (overclocked) @ 4.3 GHZ

-16 GB Ram Hyper X Impact DDR3

-GTX 980M custom Vbios (Overclocked)

-2 x Samsung 950 Pro 500 Gb V-Nand SSD

-1X 1TO SSHD (seagate) 7200.

I was wondering if there is any advantage the DM has over the ZM are Intel 6 gen processors worth it over my i7 4790K ?

Is there any advantage of having thunderbolt on a laptop that's already up-gradable ?

Is there any other advantages of getting a DM-G at this point in time.

I have been hearing a lot about 6 gen intel and the new 750DM-G's but I got my ZM expecting to keep it for at least two years upgrading to a top of the line PASCAL GPU along the way when those are available and when the bios updates are available before buying a new clevo barebone and transferring my GPU and SSD's into my new clevo system when I purchase it I was expecting to do this at around X-Mas 2016-Early 2017.

Is there any good reason for upgrading before end 2016 early 2017 ?

I am currently torn between sending the money in this hobby or in another one (film photography).....

Thank you in advance for your help and advice !

Personally... No. The p750dm doesn't offer much more than what your current config can achieve, exept if you intend to max out the 40 Gbps bandwidth of thunderbolt 3 port for eGPU(980ti/titan x/quadro/pascal) or multi 4k display/5k display or external NVMe storage, in which case I would rather recommend the p870dm since it offers much more-

-Better graphics cards/SLI(you could SLI your existing card)

-Close to 100% adobe rgb 4k auo display (useful for your other hobby)

-Better cooling

-more overclocking, especially if you get it with Premas fully unlocked BIOS from a partner shop(with warrenty in some cases), or can wait for the free public release.

-More usb, GbE LAN

Uses all the PCIe lanes z170 offers, making it the best skylake desktop replacement....

That being said since you already have a great mobo I think you can easily wait till Pascal, Kaby lake and Skylake-E arrives.

If you are really in a rush to get the best system NOW, not satisfied with your current performance and have money to burn[emoji14]

1) for better GPU(s) performance, display and thunderbolt 3, upgrade to the p870dm(with Prema BIOS if you can)

http://www.eurocom.com/ec/future()ec

2) for better CPU, even better GPU(s), display and expandability, go for an enthusiast(X99) desktop, keeping your current system for mobility only(I'd rather wait for skylake-E)

Hope this helps[emoji1]

Sent from my Micromax AQ4501 using Tapatalk

• 2 months later...

This thread is quite old by now but anyway.

I've upgraded my P75XZM to a P75XDM, my motherboard stopped working so I bought a P75XDM motherboard instead.

Everything fits except for the two cables for the touchpad so unless you change some connectors you won't be able to use it.

Other than that it's a pretty straight forward upgrade.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 1 year later...
On 1/5/2016 at 3:21 AM, BAKED said:

This thread is quite old by now but anyway.

I've upgraded my P75XZM to a P75XDM, my motherboard stopped working so I bought a P75XDM motherboard instead.

Everything fits except for the two cables for the touchpad so unless you change some connectors you won't be able to use it.

Other than that it's a pretty straight forward upgrade.

wow! so there are few differences?

p750zm motherboard

s-l1600.jpg

p750dm motherboard

s-l1600.jpg

is it the same for p750dm2 motherboard?

Edited by sicily428