EwinRacing Flash Series Gaming Chairs
Sign in to follow this  
djdblaster

880M compatible with P150EM?

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By duffman_777
      Managed to find a relatively cheap MSI 1070 on ebay, and after reading a few success stories that 1070's are compatible I decided to pull the trigger. 

Modified the bottom case as per the photo on this FAQ page http://www.eurocom.com/ec/faqs(272)ClevoP150EM_SagerNP9150_XMG_P502_PRO. Things were going well until I went to screw the card down and felt some resistance.

Oops. Looks like that capacitor(?) with the blue on it *just* clashes with the card. Now what's weird is not all P150em motherboards seem to have this component on it - looking at replacements this component is not there. Also looking at the photos from this 1080m P150em mod (https://premamod.wordpress.com/2017/10/10/clevo-pascal-mxm-standard/), this component isn't there either. Does anyone know what this is, and if it can be removed? Or, if this could be taken off and shifted out of the way somehow, or replaced with a smaller equivalent...?

In my disbelief/annoyance/problem solving when trying to push it down, I did notice that the card has a surprising amount of flex in it and it *can* be screwed down almost completely to a level where I feel somewhat comfortable in doing... Though I'd rather not put this strain on the card if there is a way to avoid it.

• By Buratos
      Привет. Помогите, мне грустно.
      Существует clevo p150em, недавно обновленный с 7970 до 8970 м (от 150 см)
      Bios, R.2.0 / 1.02.17EC v3b / 1.02.11EC.
      Когда он был установлен 7970 м, в BIOS на линии gpu это было 7970 м. После установки 8970m, NVIDIA пишет вместо 8970m.
      Драйверы на 8970m не установлены, либо синий экран, либо ноутбук замерзает. Windows 10 1713.
      Я пробовал разные версии драйверов, все равно. Что вы посоветуете?
      8970m vbios  VER015.041.000.000.044964 BR44964.009 it s DELL? 

ps. when I bought 7970m for a place of 670m. At 7970m there was also a problem with the drivers, but I somehow skipped it.
    • By moaker
      I dont know if this is the right forum to post this,  (but i need 5 posts for downloading a  vbios)

so my questions are these, thank you in advance for reading

I have bought a laptop with a half melted 880M GPU Im assuming the person did not keep an eye on temps,
      so i went and replaced the card, it runs fine, (alright) but still, I remember modding my VBIOS for my 680 GTX back in the day, and it was fine, exceptionally faster, 
      and im looking for that 60 fps LOCK, like i got on my 680 after modding the vbios, 

I did increase the voltage on the card to 1.212 I believe, from 1.114 ,

anyway I considering modding the cooling system as well for this laptop, because it definitely lacks cooling 
      My plan is to put another laptop fan (where the HDD1 bay is in the Alienware 17) bcause I removed that hdd it was constantly at 57c which is bad
      even think it suffered some damage as speeds on it for specific games and tasks are pretty long, and it stays at 100% some times, which is weird, but it still works, so im using it.lol

, but in the meantime, I turned the laptop upside down, plugged in the HDMI cable, and now im blasting a ROOM fan at it, which is definitely helping with temps
      before I would try to throttle the gpu speed at 77C, or 73C depending on the game or even saying screw it, I dont want throttling, and putting the throttle point to 83C,
      I use SPEEDFAN , and it helps keep the laptop relativly cool, except when the gpu is under full load,  putting my hand on it is ridiculously hot, so, with the fan on it, its not going above 70,
      and taking a LONG time to get up there, 
      i am playing metro last light at around 60C at 60+ fps, where as before my temps were shooting upto 80 and it would hit the throttle point, so  seeing as how this is a 120 HZ laptop, I rather not push it, since the card is not capable (and if it is, the cooling sure isnt)

the plan is to put the fan inside the HDD1 bay, and POSSIBLY  daisey chain it to either A) the cpu fan header, or  B ) the gpu fan hjeader, 

QUESTION:
      not sure which "rails" the power for these comes from, would it be able to handle another fan???
      it seems like a legit idea, seeing as how the rear of the heatsink has NO heat dissipation at all. which is the part that melted offcausing the old  card to die in the first place.
      basically the thermal pads look like they gunked the card and it was unfixable, I have a post to it on the Alienware Forum, which i could link later,

is it a good idea, and will the VBIOS WORK with my 880M (DELL) from a clevo, (now in an alienware) im assuming they are compatible, as long as they are dell.
      also would I be able to get a Y adapter for the inside of a laptop fan, that would be AMAZING, i know they sell them for Desktops.
      Thanks

• By TheShortStackTech
      I recently got a 2010 27" iMac for free! Some further research concluded that the MXM slot in the iMac has been proven to work with a GTX 880m, including Mac OS! I used to play with a 7970 ghz edition, but ended up selling it for some more projects. I've been lagging along on a 5870 2gb and thought that with my switch to the free iMac, I might as well update my gpu. Heres the problem I was faced with: the 880m is a little underpowered on stock clocks. So, after even more research I discovered that the 980m was around the same as a 7970 performance wise. I ended up grabbing a deal on an 880m for only 160$, but I did want to share my findings with you guys.

*WARNING* ONLY 2009, 2010, AND 2011 IMACS HAVE THE MXM SLOT!!!! IF YOU ARE USING A 2012+ YOU CANNOT UPGRADE YOUR GPU

So the 980m used to work all the way up to mac os sierra. It's now high sierra, but the fix is still pretty simple.

What you will need:
      -thermal pads
      -copper ram heatsinks/ one of the specialized backplates that cools MXM memory modules.
      -Your graphics card
      -YOU NEED an imac 2011 gpu heatsink
      -GOOD thermal paste (Preferably liquid metal if youre comfortable with that)
      -IMAC 2010 power supply
      *As far as i know the power supply's between these 3 imac's are interchangeable, but the largest one is the 2010 variant, at the 310 watts, and the others are much lower.
      *Just from tdp we know that the 980m is 115w and the cpu's on these guys are most commonly 95w, thats allready 200 with out hdd, all the other components etc.
      -nvidia web drivers

READ THE FOLLOWING DIRECTIONS CAREFULLY

Step 1: You must have all your mac os/ windows partitions set up with bootcamp, and MAKE SURE it boots into Mac OS and wont boot into anything else when you start it up AFTER the upgrade.
      *Remember nvidia web drivers must be installed before you upgrae
      Step 2: dremel/ cnc/ remove a couple parts of the VRM section of the imac 2011 heatsink, (You want your card IN HAND so you are able to make sure it fits correctly.
      step 3: Assemble the gpu assembly
      step 4: Re assemble the imac, with the new gpu.
      *This is where is gets slightly harder*
      step 5: You want to reset your iMac's System Management Controller, otherwise known as SMC.
      *DO NOT FLASH NVRAM OR PRAM, or you will have to redo the whole process, after you put your old gpu in to fix all the bootcamp problems and such
      *You can do this by plugging the power cord into your imac, waiting 30 seconds and NOT turning it on, unplug your power cord, wait 30 seconds, then plug it back in. Wait another 30 seconds, then turn it on. (But not before reading the following to be prepared:)
      step 6: You need to force Mac OS to work with an unsupported card. this is a pretty simple process if you are comfortable with terminal.
      * I couldn't have found this without this page: 
      https://www.ifixit.com/Story/18646/Successful_iMac_Upgrade_to_GTX_880M
      "
      To make a non-apple provided Nvidia graphics card work in macOS Sierra you need to do the following…
      Start the computer in safe mode by holding shift.
      Get your BoardID by running this command in terminal
      echo "<result>$(ioreg -rd1 -c IOPlatformExpertDevice | awk -F'["|"]' '/board-id/{print $4}')</result>"
      Open the AppleGraphicsControl Kext using this command
      sudo nano /System/Library/Extensions/AppleGraphicsControl.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleGraphicsDevicePolicy.kext/Contents/Info.plist
      Use the arrow keys to go down until you see <key>ConfigMap</key> followed by a bunch of keys and strings.
      LOOK FOR YOUR BOARD ID…
      IF IT IS LISTED: Change the string to <string>none</string>
      IF IT IS NOT LISTED: Add it in the same format as the ones listed.
      Save the file by pressing Ctrl+O, then enter.
      Exit by pressing Ctrl+X
      Rebuild the kernel cache using the following two commands:
      sudo kextcache -system-prelinked-kernel
      AND
      sudo kextcache -system-caches
      Have Fun!

Theoretically this should work, and I would love for somebody to try as I got an 880m instead. Just keep in mind this is all from research and has not been proven to work. Be sure to research this subject before you try it.
    • By GastStraus
      Hi, I started overclocking my laptop. Initially, the graphics card provided 601 MHz at core (900 mV voltage) and 1400 MHz at memory. By moddig the bios through the Kepler Tweaker, it was possible to overclock to 944 MHz at core (925 mV voltage) and 2310 MHz at memory.
      I want to reach 1 GHz by the core, but for this I need to raise the voltage. At a very high voltage, even without load, the fan will start to rustle, so I do not want to raise the voltage much.
      But there is an idiotic problem. When the temperature of 60 degrees is used, the video card discards 25 mV. This is Nvidia`s feature . In the stock, it drops from 925 to 900, now from 950 to 925. I want 950 constantly, but it's impossible to make through Kepler Tweaker. I saw reports that svl7`s BIOS mod does not have this problem, but anyway I can not download it. So may be somebody know how make right vbios mod.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.