P150SM - PremaMOD question.

Jayce99

Hi everyone!

So, I've been researching for quite some time now in regards to upgrading the absolutely garbage stock BIOS that comes with the Clevo P150SM and I came across Prema.  The main reason I want to upgrade is the outrageous fan noise and speed that emanate from this thing.  Even when idle or very low usage, the fan speeds ramp up to maximum (at random might I add) and stays that way for hours and the only way to reset it to low is to reboot or put it to sleep.  I've e-mailed Clevo themselves weeks ago and got no reply, so clearly they don't give a damn.  I disassembled the laptop, cleaned and re-pasted the CPU and GPU with GELID GC-Extreme thermal paste, and I run an air cleaner in the room where the laptop stays, so I know it's not dust or contaminants.  I often check temps and the fans run at max speed even when the CPU or GPU reaches 30 degrees C or below, which is pretty stupid honestly.

I'd like to try to upgrade to the latest Premamod because that seems to be much better all around, my only concern are the risks.  Realistically, what are the chances of bricking my mobo?  My reseller tells me that if it fails to upgrade, the mobo is basically dead and I'd have to pay to ship it back and fourth to them (and this is going cross border from Canada to Cali, US, so that's minimum $200 dollars just for back and fourth shipping).

Been living with the insane fan noise/speed for a year now and enough is enough.

Thanks in advance for the suggestions.

-Jayce

Edited by Jayce99

On 2016-02-07 at 8:43 PM, Prema said:

Just select the correct file and follow the readme.

It's Almost impossible to brick the system unless you switch it off while flashing...

My reseller e-mailed me the latest stock BIOS and EC/KBC files for my P150SM, but it did not come with a readme file to walk me through updating.  Is there a readme anywhere around with the steps?  Also, do I/should I update the latest stock first, then upgrade to your mod or?

Thanks in advance!

Edited by Jayce99

1 hour ago, Prema said:

My Mod & stock packages flash everything in one go, that's why there is like zero brick risk. No need to flash any random vendor versions and risk a brick...

So, I should just flash your mod then on its own and not bother with the stock? What about the stock packages posted on your website? Don't bother with those either?

• 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

The same with me except I wanna update P170SM, not P150SM. I'm pretty nervous about the process and I double check everything so I won't brick my system. Is there anyone here who applied Prema's P170SM_34_31_PM_v2? What is the difference between v1 and v2?

• 2 months later...

If you brick the mobo feel free to use the unbricker.
https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=CH341A+Programmer+
https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=soic8+clamp&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Asoic8+clamp
It's really cheap. But you need to test the clamp and programmer first. Mine had bad soldering. I fixed that.
Backing up your bios is highly recommended.