2015 iMac (21.5", 4K, Iris, Late 2015) + GTX980TI@16Gbps-TB2 (AKiTiO Thunder2) + OSX10.11.3/Win10 [stemoac]

One month ago, i've started my first eGPU project. I was looking for a solution to improve my render times. I've searched the web for possible solutions and i found this site. After two days reading a lot of articles in this forum, i've made my decision. So i started a new thread "eGPU with IMac 21" 4k (late 2015)" in the section "Apple eGPU discussion" and wrote down my questions. Within a few hours, I've got all the answers i needed (many thanks to @Dschijn! Without his recommendations, gain experiences and hints, i never would be able to build my egpu). When i finished my first part of my egpu project, Tech Inferno Fan asked me to post an implementation guide.  

So here is my implementation guide:

Because i want to speed up my render times, i needed an GPU with a lot of CUDA cores. So i decided to built up my eGPU with a high performance GTX 980 TI.

My Hardware:

The components, I bought:

Within a few days, i have got everything, i need.

1. I've opened the AKiTiO. I bend the back part of the case a bit because the GTX980TI is to long.
  2. I put the GPU into the PCIe slot
  3. I connected the two 6+2 power cables from the PSU to the GPU
  4. With the DC cable and the MOLEX adapter, i've built up a power connector for the AKiTiO (as described here in the forum)
  5. I prepared the ATX adapter for the paper clip trick
  6. After this steps, i connected everything together and so i've got my eGPU in the "ghetto-mod" version
  7. I connected the TB2 cable (included within the AKiTiO) and switched on power at the PSU
  8. Then i've turned on my iMac (now the blue LED at the AKiTiO lights)
  9. For the driver installation, i've downloaded the script: https://www.techinferno.com/index.php?/forums/topic/7989-script-automating-the-installation-of-egpu-on-os-x-inc-display-output/
  10. I've followed the instructions in the thread. This script is doing the installation automatically (thanks to goalque for this amazing work)
  11. After the first try, I've got the message "nvram: Error getting variable - 'csr-active-config': (iokit/common) data was not found"
  12. To solve this, the SIP has to be switched off (csrutil disable) when using MAC OS X El Capitan (here is a link http://www.macworld.com/article/2986118/security/how-to-modify-system-integrity-protection-in-el-capitan.html)
  13. Then i boot up my system and installed the latest CUDA driver package from NVIDEA

I started my 3D program and the external GPU was recognized directly. I did a few test render,, the performance was great :-)

Then i connected an external monitor to the eGPU via a HDMI cable and after i made the external monitor to my primary monitor (https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202351everything works fine.

Conclusion:

The whole project has lasted one week. The system runs very stable and the fans are very quiet. Many thanks to this forum!

The next steps will be:

• finding a suitable case for my PSU, AKiTiO and GTX 
  • upgrading to OS X 10.11.3 and the latest NVIDEA driver
  • installing Windows 10 (via BootCamp) and make the eGPU running under Windows

Update:

I have just updated to MAC OS X 10.11.3 and NVIDEA Web Driver 346.03.05f01 (incl. CUDA Driver Version: 7.5.25). Everything works fine.

Update:

A few days ago, I also installed Windows 10 /with Bootcamp). I followed the instructions (and the power up sequence) by ZapCord and everything works fine.

The eGPU will be recognized and i am able to do fast renders.

On the external display, the eGPU works brilliant, only OPTIMUS will not work.

test case 5.JPG

Edited by stemoac
added Windows 10
  • Thumbs Up 3

Hello, Can you please tell me me what software do you render? Final Cut x?

why did you choose  NVIDEA? over AMD ?  because everyone said  amd has open gl, therefore how does it effect the rendering output?

Can you explain the process of the iMac  and the egpu?  meaning when you connect and power up everything for the first time after the driver installation, the  iMac think that you have a ogpu and any program will use it? such as Final Cut or aftereffect?

if you can even make a video

Thank you

Hello Mohammed,

I choose NVIDEA because I am using IRAY technology (http://www.nvidia.com/object/nvidia-iray.html).

The power up process is as follows: First switching on the PSU (waiting 5 sec) then the iMac. The internal display still uses the internal gpu. Then I installed the drivers and reboot. From this point the software detects the egpu and i can render using the egpu. If you make then the external monitor to the primary both displays using the egpu.

Hope this helps.

• Thumbs Up 1

This is perfect, I'd like to say thank you so much for doing the leg work. 

I'm planning on getting a 2015 5k iMac soon and was just playing with the idea of running an eGPU for the external monitor and like you the increase to rendering output.

Very exciting news. Time to get started myself on an eGPU solution.

Got the iMac last week. A 5k 27" i7, 32GB 2133MHz, 512GB SSD

Just ordered the Akitio and now looking at video cards and I believe I'm going with the 980Ti as well and using your info as the basis for my setup.

I may be adding my own thread soon. Hopefully within a week.

Edited by mmomega
additional info addded

• 2 weeks later...
8 hours ago, chrise said:

Hey,

if you get your  iMac 5k running windows with attached egpu please contact me.

in osx the epgu is working

My Akitio box and barrel plug(s) will be in Monday, EVGA GTX 980 Ti SC+ on Tuesday and I'll probably pick up the power supply (Corsair Modular 750W) on Monday as well.

• Tech Inferno Fan changed the title to 2015 iMac (21.5", 4K, Iris, Late 2015) + GTX980TI@16Gbps-TB2 (AKiTiO Thunder2) + OSX10.11.3/Win10 [stemoac]