[HOW-TO] Boot & blind-flash a (non-booting) GPU in Windows

Boot & blind-flash a (non-booting) GPU in Windows

(AT YOUR OWN RISK)

1. Put these files (without folder) NVFLASH_TOOLKIT_x64_PM on a USB stick and insert it into the system
2. Rename the vBIOS that you want to flash to “master.rom" and add it to the stick
3. If your system already boots blind then continue with step 4.

ONLY, In case your system doesn't pass boot, you need to carefully bridge PIN 1 & PIN 4 of the vBIOS Chip with e.g. tweezers before turning the system on, as seen here:

(only until boot is passed)

Spoiler

blind_boot.jpg

4. Let the system boot to Windows Desktop (if you had a password or login screen you will need to find a way to reach the desktop blind)
5. Once on the Windows Deskop press “Win”+ “R” on your
keyboard to open a command prompt
6. Type “cmd” and press “Enter”
7. Now type “x:” and hit “enter”
(replace the x with the drive letter of your USB stick. It’ll be “d” or “e” etc depending on how many system drives you have)
8. Type “modme” and hit “enter”
9. Wait for a few seconds and type “y” and hit “enter”
(The system may beep once to confirm a complete flash)
10. Wait for a minute, then press “Win” + “F4” and confirm with “enter”

At this point the system will shutdown and use the new vBIOS on the next boot! :):)

• Guest changed the title to [HOW-TO] Boot & blind-flash a (bricked) GPU in Windows
21 hours ago, Prema said:

If you have a SLI system, then you will have to remove the second GPU and only proceed with one GPU in the master slot.

I followed you instructions but also the don't work :(

On 1/27/2016 at 3:08 PM, Prema said:

Depends on the model, but in any way you would have to disable Win8/UEFI in BIOS in order to boot from a Legacy USB/SD-Card.

Sounds right! The Mod comes with a readme and everything required...

For blindflash in Windows: 

I try today also with you instruction I separated card and one I remove and only one I put in master slot I connect  bridge PIN 1 & PIN 4 but system not boot to Windows system :( why? Is there any help for my card? If they are broken forever? Soory but your guide will certainly not work!

Do you have bricked GPU(s) or a bricked system BIOS?

If your system BIOS had been reset and is no longer set to W8/UEFI mode then it can't boot into Windows...

(Older, pre-Q4-2015 systems default to Legacy mode instead of UEFI. All 2016 models default to UEFI).

If you have any friend with an MXM system you could flash one card in his system and recover the other one back home in your own...

• 2 years later...

Nice topic.

I flashed my display card.  not booting Windows on my display card. I can not enter bios. Is the 4th stage the same for every nvidia card? my display card is Zotac 1 GB GTX650ti. How to find Bios chip? do not you have to solder between pins? Is it enough to hold the boot up with the tweezers?

Edited by Alien42

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...