New M18x Arrived

Fry

Quite happy to have a new laptop show up today, as Dell emailed me yesterday to expect a week for delivery. Standad AUS build with the upgraded processor.

Was sad to see the screen resolution was worse than my M17 R1 though. Guess I will learn to deal with only 1080 instead of 1200 /sigh

Run the initial Benchmarks out of the box.

3D Mark 11: P6456, but with awful fps. Rates around 20 listed in the summary. It did mention that the display drivers were not standard or recognised so that might explain it. Should be fixd when I reinstall - Crosses fingers. Which makes sense after noticing it only has dx10 installed. Seems like an oversight on Dell's part.

Windows Experience overall at 5.9 due to the raid HDs. 7.6 or 7.7 for everything else so happy with that.

Time to swap out the HD and memory for the upgrades I got in preparation.

Initial plan is to swap out the HD/memory, then do a reinstall and rebench. Is it worth changing the bios at this stage to the new A04 or see how it runs with the A03 considering I don't have Nvidia cards.

Any other gotchas for new players I should take note of?

• Thumbs Up 2

i7 2960xm factory overclocked

6990 Crossfire

Installing my own sata3 SSD and 16gig 1866mhz hyperX memory

Only thing I really missed out on that I was somewhat curious about was the wireless streaming HD, but it wasnt availible for Australia when I asked

• Thumbs Up 5

Around Adelaide at the moment Jimbo. Looking forward to atually having time to set it up tomorrow. Thanks for the warm welcome all, I'm sure I'll end up with some questions along the way