BSOD when plugging/unplugging USB Devices on EXP GDC

simvegas

I have a 2570p with gtx560ti using a EXP GDC Beast. 

The card itself works fine and is stable, although I have a strange issue when plugging and unplugging different USB devices now. 

I get a BSOD regarding 'video_dxgkrnl_fatal_error'

rqlVzP2.png

Has anyone experienced anything similar to this before? I think it may be something to do with PCI/USB resource management, so perhaps using Setup 1.30 may help fix it. 

We had another user report this. Turns out to be large swings in the output voltage of the USB port. Therefore it's not recommended to use the EXP GDC's USB port because of the potential damage it may cause your USB device(s).

If you really require the external USB port function on the eGPU adapter then suggest getting a PE4C V3.0 instead. It's a better build device.

• Tech Inferno Fan changed the title to BSOD when plugging/unplugging USB Devices on EXP GDC
2 minutes ago, Tech Inferno Fan said:

We had another user report this. Turns out to be large swings in the output voltage of the USB port. Therefore it's not recommended to use the EXP GDC's USB port because of the potential damage it may cause your USB device(s).

If you really require the external USB port function on the eGPU adapter then suggest getting a PE4C V3.0 instead. It's a better build device.

It actually happens when using the USB port on my 2570p docking station, not the USB port on the EXP GDC. 

Like if i unplug my phone, and then plug my headphones to charge it will BSOD

10 minutes ago, simvegas said:

It actually happens when using the USB port on my 2570p docking station, not the USB port on the EXP GDC. 

Like if i unplug my phone, and then plug my headphones to charge it will BSOD

All the USB ports are hosted off the Intel Southbridge chip (QM77).  The same chip also hosts the x1 PCIe ports used by the wifi card, expresscard slot, card reader. It makes sense that a power spike off the USB line could affect the PCIe line.

32 minutes ago, Tech Inferno Fan said:

All the USB ports are hosted off the Intel Southbridge chip (QM77).  The same chip also hosts the x1 PCIe ports used by the wifi card, expresscard slot, card reader. It makes sense that a power spike off the USB line could affect the PCIe line.

Could I buffer any power spikes by using an externally powered USB hub perhaps?

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.