M14x Wireless Card

Jimbo312

When purchasing my m14x I didn't include the killer n 1103 and now i kinda wish i would have. My question is does all of the m14x laptops in the us include 3 antennas or just 2. If it has 3 then I could buy the 1103 but if not i will have to order the 1102 in order to get a better card. I have asked this same question on the alienware arena forums, the notebook review forums, and dell via chat and nobody could give me an answer. Dell told me that i shouldve added it in upon order and avoided my question like they didn't want to answer because i would be ordering the card through someone else. what are your comments?

thanks

Im using the base wireless card. the intel wifi link 1000 i think it is. that particular wireless card uses 2 antennas. I believe it has 3 wires with one being unused in the laptop but don't know for sure to what or if it leads to anything.

• Founder

Well, if you really want the 1103 card, you could take the unused antenna from your Dell Studio and put it in the m14x. It is wired from behind the screen to the wireless card.

As far as i know the m14x is pretty easy to open up (including the screen).

I just go done taking my wire out of my studio and boy what a job. ive taken many desktops apart but this is my first laptop to completely take apart. I powered it back on and everything still works as it should so now maybe to the next step of putting it in the m14x if i get brave enough.

Hi there,

I ordered one at the beginning when the killer card was not yet selectable for Germany.

I also had only 2 antennas. I decided to order the killer 1103 and add one antenna myself. Since I did not want to open the whole thing just to put it next to the screen, I installed it just next to the card and placed the cable inside. The result is amazing. I have a better connexion than with the standart one and a better ping :)

Did you know that you can use the Killer n 1103 with only 2 antennas?

I wondered if not putting the antenna in the screen would make a big difference because the m14x screen looks a lot harder to take apart than my studio. i knew you could use just two wires on the 1103 but if i was to do that i minus well get the 1102 because that would make them the same speed.

Believe i got my antenna wire installed. i soldered the wire back to the metal piece i got out of my studio screen , put some black tape on it to keep it from making a rattle noise and i placed it right by my optical drive. All i need now i think is a new wireless card to test it on and hopefully the optical drive won't cause any interferance with my antenna.

• Thumbs Up 1