P775DM1-G G-Sync lost after screen repair - RESOLVED

snowpepsi

Hi,

My reseller recently replaced the screen in my P775DM1-G. A single dead pixel appeared. I figured I'd take advantage of a 28 day dead pixel guarantee.

After the reseller returned the laptop to me, G-Sync has gone from Nvidia Control Panel. Was working fine before sending it back. Pendulum G-Sync demo will not allow me to select G-Sync.

I'm waiting for their response on why this has happened. Reported on Saturday, not come back to me yet.

In the meanwhile, does anybody have any suggestions on how to further diagnose?

The laptop was returned to me with a LP173WF4-SPD1 fitted. From a semi reliable memory.. I'm sure that the factory fitted screen was the LP173WF4-SPF1.

Could this be the issue? 

I've checked the CPU ID , and the same CPU is fitted before the repair.

The ASIC of the fitted 980 didn't change during the repair, so doesn't look like anything changed there. Just a panel refit.

Diagnose so far:

1. Performed Nvidia install with 'perform clean installation' checked.

2. I've performed a DDU clean, and reinstalled latest nvidia drivers.

3. Another DDU clean, and I've gone back to the 359.00 version of clevo nvidia drivers

4. CMOS clear (disconnected battery for 30 sec)

New panel:

Monitor Name:                                                                   LG Philips [Unknown Model: LGD046C]
Monitor Name (Manuf):                                                           LG Display   LP173WF4-SPD1

EDIT: 15/05/16

This was resolved when the reseller did a straight screen swap for a SPF1 with a SPF1. New screen and G-Sync active. Looks like getting a SPD1 fitted was the sole issue at the time.

Edited by snowpepsi
added diagnose steps taken

I've tried what I think is resetting the CMOS battery, but I still have no G-Sync.

I disconnected the battery last night, and on the first boot afterwards I received the blue dialogues to state that the battery had been disconnected.

After acknowledging these, my windows install loaded and G-Sync was still missing.

I could give this another go.

To be specific I:

Removed the AC power cable.

Removed the Battery.

Disconnected the connector that connects the round silver CMOS battery to the motherboard.

Went off and did something else for 5 minutes.

Came back in and plugged it all together in reverse order.

It did not resolve.

Edited by snowpepsi

I don't know if this changes anything, but my current windows install was made with the original P775DM1-G LG screen fitted, I believe it was a  LP173WF4-SPF1 according to the ICC I was originally using.

When the reseller replaced the screen, it was changed to a LP173WF4-SPD1. The screen has a P771DMGxxxxxx product sticker.

I don't see why this would stop G-Sync working if both are G-Sync approved displays...

I wouldn't worry about this query any more.

My reseller are collecting the P775DM1-G to attempt a second repair.

They state that their quality control process does a check to confirm G-Sync remains functional after a lcd panel change, and that this had been performed before my laptop has returned.

I will probably never find out why it failed! Glad it's all happening within warranty.

Alas the lubuntu distribution on there does not support my P775DM1-G.

I'm not brave enough to try harder with this. Especially with an upcoming warranty repair.

Edited by snowpepsi

• 2 months later...

My original screen was swapped back in, and G-Sync was restored.

Been waiting since then to get a replacement screen of the same panel.

Edit: Originally had SPF1, after a dead pixel repair I was given SPD1 that didn't function with G-Sync with my laptop, so I sent laptop back and original SPF1 was refitted to get G-Sync back

Edited by snowpepsi

Screenshot of the BIOS:

1.jpg

Here is my EDID: 

2.jpg

I am currently using Prema modified OC vBIOS. 

I am trying to download the modified EDID which Prema made, but the download does nto start. Can anyone upload it to to somewhere else? 

I will also try to flash the EDID with an SPF1 screen EDID.

Really annoying that I have to go through this to get G-Sync working...or I have to RMA and wait a month again. 

Edited by fejerm

@fejerm who did you buy yours from? I have some issues with backlight bleed but really do not want to fall foul of this monitor issue you and @snowpepsi are having, if I send it back for a screen swap.

I remember reading somewhere that the only difference between the SPF1 and the SPD1 is the connector location or something to do with the connector. Though , comparing your screenshots makes me think the 60Hz SPD1 (LGD046C) is simply not G-sync compatible, whereas the 75Hz SPF1 (LGD0469) is. Attached a screenshot of my moninfo dump.Screenshot (27).png

• 3 weeks later...