6990s...Delayed again. To keep or Not Keep?

daveh98

Well, my 6990s are delayed again and it has me pondering, yet again, to keep the purchase or not.

I currently am running CF6970s. Honestly, they play fine. I am a bit of a videophile and Crysis 2 on Ultra, though poorly implemented, is absolutely unplayable with 6970s. Many levels, even when OC'ed, maintain 20s where there is heavy tessellation (you know lots of roadblocks showing those tiny handles) and water. BF3 beta, showed a lot of dips as well into the 30s. So i figured the 6990s would eliminate those problems thanks to the increased shader count and frequencies. I know we aren't talking orders of magnitude increases here but I got them for around 950. Figuring I sell my 6970s for 700 it would be an upgrade of 250. I don't know how much this upgrade really makes sense in the scheme of things so opinions would be great. I mean I can learn to live with playing Crysis2 on extreme...kinda:tennis:

• Founder

I went through the same thought process. I had a 6990 equipped system in my cart on Dell outlet for $2300 vs $1630 for this system and asked myself if $700 extra was worth a small bump in GPU speed + slightly faster CPU (it had a 2720qm and bdrom). In the end I decided against it and went with value. Now for $250 that becomes a lot easier to decide on and I'd probably go with 580M SLi over 6990 despite the throttling hoopla. As long as 580M works at stock, I'd pick nVidia over AMD because team green just tends to optimize better for games IMO.

Ya cognitive dissonance has me upset over purchasing the m18x new. Didn't expect them to hit the outlet that fast with amazing coupons. I haggled relatively well and spent 2400 after taxes and shipping for the 2720, 8 gig ram, cf 6970s and 750 HD. Which then realistically brings me to the point of either enjoying my system as is from a price/performance ratio or upgrading. The 580s are just WAY too much to order from Dell. the 6990s were 1300ish but got them down to 900. However, I would need to sell the 6970s for this upgrade to make any kind of sense. I believe the 6990s are a more powerful card in terms of raw performance than the 580's but i agree that Nvidia seems to have developers well paid to make sure their games run smoothly. I don't have a need for CUDA so that really puts the 580s out for me. I have until tonight to make a decision to keep the cards or to have them automatically cancel due to the second delay. My gut is to cancel but the selfish side of me would like to have the system that I originally would have wanted....

I got screwed too guys I got the M18x on an exchange and they made me order days before the 6990m's and 580m's were released I was so pissed... but am satisfied with the system. I would have to do the same sell the 6970ms to even be feasible to get upgraded cards.. so I may wait till next year and see the newer offerings. But I would have hands down picked the 580M's if I had the opportunity... I'm still going to try to get mine to 840-850 core 24/7...