Is Your PC VR-Ready?

Brian

• Founder

Eurogamer has an article looking at the upcoming VR tidal wave that is going to land sometime later this year that promises to change the way we game forever. With VR requiring up to 7x increase in performance needed compared to a traditional gaming PC, will anyone besides the top 1% even be able to enjoy it? 

As the days pass, we draw closer to a potentially seismic change in the PC gaming space - the arrival of Virtual Reality experiences, brought to life via the Oculus Rift and HTC's Vive. And for many, one key question needs to be comprehensively addressed - whether their existing gaming PCs can handle the strenuous requirements of the VR experience. And if they don't, what hardware will need an upgrade.

There's a sense that there's a lot of conflicting information out there. First up, let's take a look at the Oculus minimum spec:

• Nvidia GeForce GTX 970/AMD Radeon R9 290 equivalent or greater
  • Intel Core i5 4590 equivalent or greater
  • 8GB+ RAM
  • 2x USB 3.0 port
  • HDMI 1.3 video output supporting a 297MHz clock via a direct output architecture
  • Windows 7 OS or greater

Some say that less than one per cent of the gaming PCs out there can meet this specification, but it's certainly a good place to start from Oculus, certainly bearing in mind the GPU spec.

Source: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2016-is-your-pc-really-vr-ready

View full article

hopefully there are places to try out these tech.  i don't want to end up like the 3d craze awhile back, bought all this stuff only to learn 3d give me headaches and everything is a pain for eye glass wearers anyways. gave me a call when someone invents the halodeck :)  now beam me the heck outta here.

• Thumbs Up 1

i feel you on the 3d deal. a lot of my friends has issues with it, for some reason I didn't. I know the games that weren't rated as 3d vision ready were harder on you than the ones that were. I still use my alien 17  for 3d especially for movies. the blue ray 3d type. they had the oculus rift demo at quake con a few years back in Dallas Texas. It was a really cool experience it took a few minutes for my brain to adjust to what was going on lol. after that it was all good. the only draw back I really see is software for it aka games. there wasn't a real game on demo to me. it was some sim thing they developed to show it off. as far as that 1% deal 970's and 900 series gpus are the standard from what I see. everyone I game with own i7's and at least a gtx 970 or multiple and better. so not to sure where that 1 % thing is coming from. this new tech will only be viable in my eyes if they actually launch it with real games not gimic games. I would like to see some battlefield or call of duty on that thing, but will not drop the 600 plus asking price for that kit without any real world titles to play that are actually built for it. cause the non 3d vision games run like poop and hurt your head and eyes.