Headset recommendations

I could reccomend the psycho carbon and krypton, their a bit spending but have true 5.1 which is really nice for gaming.

BUT their not particularly good for movies and music so its reccomended to get a pair of earbud headphones too :P

I'd go for the G930 just for the battery life alone. 4 hours with the corsair is too low for me. Which do you prefer out of the two overall?

the corsair is just all I have tested myself, its rated for 10hrs just havent had it long enough to test

sound quality the corsair wins hands down.. think the g930 has a little better surround, but the bass crackle is very annoying especially since I prefer deeper tones

The lower sound quality on wireless headsets is to be expected. They should be fine for gaming and chatting, but they are very expensive for what you get IMO (which is that they are typically comfortable and have microphone fixed close to your mouth). As far as the "surround" sound goes, I only tried Logitech G35 and its pretty much a joke (in Starcraft 2 at least).

4 hours on wireless is really low, I agree. :-/

• 2 months later...

I don't use a mic that often (rarely play multiplayer games), but for true audio fidelity in a well designed game, it's hard to beat a good pair or IEMs.

I use westone 3s myself. excellent sound isolation, very comfortable, and the audio quality is incredible.

for skype sessions, the IEM with the laptop's mic works quite well actually.

I have been searching for a real 5.1 headset with good price tag so i ended up with roccat kave 5.1. Only bad thing is the hassle with those 4 3.5mm plugs you have to plug into the machine. Would be easier if there was a headset with hdmi or if it was possible to get real 5.1 via usb headset hehe.

• 2 weeks later...

Just get the Logitech G35, if it's not too expensive for you. Apparently even some audiophile websites reviewed it somewhat favorably - it's really that great.

I have been using it for a few months by now, and am quite satisfied. Nevertheless, as you seem to already have a good headset, I am not sure if it's really worth the upgrade just to have fewer cables (the Logitech uses USB), and having less of a hassle adjusting Surround options (it just works).

Generally I would stay way from wireless more because of the interference factor but just not pleasant sounding, Just used to the cord I guess but, the sony DJ series can be picked up on the cheap these days $100-$150 Sony MDR-V6 with 5-30khz which means it can also be used with Hi-Fi equipment. But keep in mind that if your audio out from PC is low rate it will show in the sound especially the noise. When I play low bit rate mp3 it sounds almost muffled compared to vog flac etc. That's why people run them through headamps. This is so the noise is reduced. You could get a cheap amp with optic in as long as you have optic out from laptop then the sound will be good. Also a nice USB sound card with optical out to a headamp. I have found that an amp almost always helps.

• 3 months later...

hi i have a G35 and im not all that impressed. It is a very nice headset with good quality sound but the bass is very poor and destorts. Also i dont find the surround sound feature is that great either. You can get some 5.1 TB headphones which i tried at eurogamer and found it was pretty good.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

You might consider the shure srh 940 (~200$) or srh840 (~160$). I have the first one with a e07k dac/amplifier (not needed if you already have a good one). It compares easily with expensive headphones like hd800 in sound quality and it is very neutral.

• 3 months later...

These are the headsets I use! Def. a good buy and a really solid set, extremely comfy for the price you can't go wrong. Plus the main cord is only about two feet while it comes with an extension thats 6-7 feet long. No usb = a great headset for any gamer on the go!

SteelSeries North America - SteelSeries Siberia V2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

If you are looking for a decent pair of headphones and you are only on a budget of about $150 I would look into the Audio Technica M50's. They consistently are rank higher than headphones at twice their price in sound reproduction. I have rarely if ever heard a negative reviews for these headphones from even the most critical of audiophiles. They are a great starter pair of headphones and they do not require an external amp to get your money's worth. Additionally at the moment they are selling on Amazon for as low as $110, and are a steal at that price. I would highly recommend them.