[m17x R5] New 970m installed - Clock speed low

SmellyLlama

Hi everyone,

hopefully someone can help.

I have successfully (to a fashion) installed a new 970m in my laptop, it is discovered in the BIOS and Device Manager. The card seems to run, I can see it in GPU-Z and the temperature and clock speeds are displayed in GPU-Z. Windows 10 installed the driver on it's own and I modded and installed the latest NVIDIA driver 361.43.

I'm seeing a low score (lower than my 860m) in 3Dmark and a lower clock speed (540Mhz) instead of what I would expect (somewhere around 900). Guessing I need to install an earlier driver, the optimus switching isn't working on the FN+F5, but I'm not sure which driver to choose as the older recommended one doesn't show in the NVIDIA search. 

i7-4710MQ

16GB DDR3 PC3-12800

480 mSATA

256 SSD

ST500 Hybrid SSD

BIOS version A14.

I've attached a screenshot from 3Dmark for reference. Anything else I can supply to help?

Cheers

GPU_Comp.JPG

Edited by SmellyLlama

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/10/2016 at 9:12 PM, SmellyLlama said:

Hi everyone,

hopefully someone can help.

I have successfully (to a fashion) installed a new 970m in my laptop, it is discovered in the BIOS and Device Manager. The card seems to run, I can see it in GPU-Z and the temperature and clock speeds are displayed in GPU-Z. Windows 10 installed the driver on it's own and I modded and installed the latest NVIDIA driver 361.43.

I'm seeing a low score (lower than my 860m) in 3Dmark and a lower clock speed (540Mhz) instead of what I would expect (somewhere around 900). Guessing I need to install an earlier driver, the optimus switching isn't working on the FN+F5, but I'm not sure which driver to choose as the older recommended one doesn't show in the NVIDIA search. 

i7-4710MQ

16GB DDR3 PC3-12800

480 mSATA

256 SSD

ST500 Hybrid SSD

BIOS version A14.

I've attached a screenshot from 3Dmark for reference. Anything else I can supply to help?

Cheers

GPU_Comp.JPG

a score of 900? you should in Fire Strike be getting around 6000 - 6700 it's a wide gap but it should sit somewhere in between their influenced by different driver versions. What was your actual score? once the benchmark has finished click view online and see what the score was, at that point we can then look at things like driver versions, throttling and what not. (I'm currently trying to find the best driver for this now as well) 

<--Update-->

Ohhhh I see what the problem is, your core clock is 540 instead of 1038, chances are you've not right click the battery icon then clicked power options and then selected high performance. Balanced or power saving will throttle your core clocks. 

Edited by MrSweet1991

15 hours ago, MrSweet1991 said:

a score of 900? you should in Fire Strike be getting around 6000 - 6700 it's a wide gap but it should sit somewhere in between their influenced by different driver versions. What was your actual score? once the benchmark has finished click view online and see what the score was, at that point we can then look at things like driver versions, throttling and what not. (I'm currently trying to find the best driver for this now as well) 

<--Update-->

Ohhhh I see what the problem is, your core clock is 540 instead of 1038, chances are you've not right click the battery icon then clicked power options and then selected high performance. Balanced or power saving will throttle your core clocks. 

Hi MrSweet, I sorted this out in the end here's the info from another longer post..

SOLVED: after a LOT of mucking about with drivers and modded files I think it was a failed install of Alienware's On-Screen Display. It wouldn't install or uninstall and kept giving me odd error codes. I manually cleaned all the entries from the registry by searching for "on-screen" and deleted folders or keys where necessary. After a reboot the software installed properly and now the benchmarks are looking goooood...

http://www.3dmark.com/compare/fs/7101078/fs/7242613

Glad to see you sorted it out, I'm getting a score of just 6k where typically it should lie between 6400 and 6600 or so I think. I don't even have OSD installed..  To the drawing board I think and then when I solve that I think I'll flash SVL7 s vbios...  Have you thought about flashing your vbios or happy with it how it is? 

On 27/01/2016 at 5:01 PM, MrSweet1991 said:

Glad to see you sorted it out, I'm getting a score of just 6k where typically it should lie between 6400 and 6600 or so I think. I don't even have OSD installed..  To the drawing board I think and then when I solve that I think I'll flash SVL7 s vbios...  Have you thought about flashing your vbios or happy with it how it is? 

I flashed the vBIOS before I got it working. I'm not really sure what it's done or if it's made any improvement. The OSD was what was messing up my graphics switching i.e not switching at all.

Have you used the nvidia inspector to see whether your card is throttling up fully to P0? Mine was stuck at P8.