BPlus PE4C V3/V2 discussion

useafo

Hey everyone, I've read just about everything on this site short of all of the individual guides and went ahead and bought the PE4C 3.0. I do also have a free mPCI-e slot in my laptop in addition to the ExpressCard slot - is it possible to set up a second link with this version? I don't even know if it would be necessary for my needs, but it would be good to know. Thanks!

EDIT: Leaving initial question for clarity. This version is clearly soldered, so I assume the answer is no. Also, I do NOT have an extra mPCI-e slot. I don't even have an ExpressCard slot (it's a cardreader, I don't know what I was thinking).

The laptop in question is the Acer Timelineu M5 481TG-6814, and it has the mPCI-E slot for the wifi card and the mPCI-E slot for the mSATA 20GB SSD for its hybrid drive.

Any idea if either of these slots would work? I've read everything I can on this forum and haven't found any implementations of this series, but based on the pictures of the devices currently plugged into these slots, it looks like the PE4C 3.0 mPCI-E adapter would fit.

• 2 weeks later...

hi, may i know how is this v3.0 adapter work differently compared to PE4L? Better or worse?

Edit:

Please reply to his post. This is what i am interested in

Did anyone test since?

Is the PE4C 3.0 gen2 link stable? As stable as pe4l v2.1b?

Thanks.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi

i have a PE4C V3.0 and gtx 750, my notebook HP 14 i3 3110 M 6GB Ram W7. when i turn on my pc the screen turns black and i dont know what happening then. i try the suspend swapp things but no luck. can any one help me , im really going crazy here. thnks

hi, may i know how is this v3.0 adapter work differently compared to PE4L? Better or worse?

Edit:

Please reply to his post. This is what i am interested in

PE4L V2.1 and PE4C V3.0 both use a soldered cable and are Gen3 rated. Other BPlus adapters are Gen2 rated but in my experience ones like a PE4C V2.1 with a socketted cable give unreliable operation at Gen2, even though BPlus rate it at that.

PE4C V3.0 is however better than PE4L 2.1 with it's x16 slot and Dell DA-2 PSU port compatibility.

Hi

i have a PE4C V3.0 and gtx 750, my notebook HP 14 i3 3110 M 6GB Ram W7. when i turn on my pc the screen turns black and i dont know what happening then. i try the suspend swapp things but no luck. can any one help me , im really going crazy here. thnks

Pls work through https://forum.techinferno.com/diy-e-gpu-projects/11393-mpcie-egpu-troubleshooting-steps.html

Anybody has glitch issues on PE4C V 3.0 ?

I get nvidia driver not responding error, when switch big speaker to headphone.

And I am so MAD when playing GTA online, that the screen become blackscreen because I plug headphone = death screen :30_002:

This is ridicolous.

I switch pcie gen 1

And still......

please, give me some tweaks. :dispirited:

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/2/2015 at 4:28 PM, davidian said:

Did anyone test since?

Is the PE4C 3.0 gen2 link stable? As stable as pe4l v2.1b?

Thanks.

I got a PE4C 3.0 a couple of weeks ago, and I can say that I did not have any issues whatsoever with it so far.

• 2 weeks later...

Specs: R9 380, PE4C EC060, Corsair 750w, T540P

Hi guys, I got an EGPU setup for christmas. I can't figure out how to turn the damn thing on. I didn't get a 12v adapter for the PE4C, is that something i need? At the moment, there's a 24-pin ATX plugged into the PE4C, and an 8 pin plugged to the right of the ATX. What am I doing wrong here? Do I need a special power thing for the PE4C itself?

Hi guys.

I just got my PE4C 3.0 with expresscard cable. Gen1 works fine but Gen 2 gives me roughly half the gen1 performance on programs...

Can this happen in a normally working PE4C 3.0? I think I received a faulty one.

I have an EXP GDC Beast that I wanted the PE4C to replace, it works properly in gen2 but crashes sometimes.

Hardware:

Dell Vostro 3550 (i5-2430m/6gb RAM/HD3000 igpu/AMD Radeon HD 7650m dgpu, with its bus disabled in device manager and the igpu selected as main gpu in CCC, to prevent error 12)

PE4C-EC060A V3.0

Nvidia GTX 960 2gb

SS-300tfx 300w PSU

I have Windows 7 64bit and setup 1.3 to set the port to gen2. Only tested with optimus since I don't have a monitor right now.

Both AMD Catalyst and Nvidia drivers are installed.

Some benchmarks I made in Unigine Valley 1.0 with my adapters (1366x768 fullscreen, 4xAA, ultra quality):

PE4C 3.0

X1.1opt- Fps: 29.2 Score: 1220 MinFps: 8.5 MaxFps: 44

X1.2opt- Fps: 13.9 Score: 583   MinFps: 6.9 MaxFps: 17

EXP GDC Beast

X1.1opt- Fps: 29.1 Score: 1218 MinFps: 13.9 MaxFps: 43

X1.2opt- Fps: 38.8 Score: 1624 MinFps: 4.6   MaxFps: 62

Thanks, and sorry if my post became unnecessarily long for the question

3 hours ago, 3RYL said:

Hi guys.

I just got my PE4C 3.0 with expresscard cable. Gen1 works fine but Gen 2 gives me roughly half the gen1 performance on programs...

Can this happen in a normally working PE4C 3.0? I think I received a faulty one.

I have an EXP GDC Beast that I wanted the PE4C to replace, it works properly in gen2 but crashes sometimes.

Hardware:

Dell Vostro 3550 (i5-2430m/6gb RAM/HD3000 igpu/AMD Radeon HD 7650m dgpu, with its bus disabled in device manager and the igpu selected as main gpu in CCC, to prevent error 12)

PE4C-EC060A V3.0

Nvidia GTX 960 2gb

SS-300tfx 300w PSU

I have Windows 7 64bit and setup 1.3 to set the port to gen2. Only tested with optimus since I don't have a monitor right now.

Both AMD Catalyst and Nvidia drivers are installed.

Some benchmarks I made in Unigine Valley 1.0 with my adapters (1366x768 fullscreen, 4xAA, ultra quality):

PE4C 3.0

X1.1opt- Fps: 29.2 Score: 1220 MinFps: 8.5 MaxFps: 44

X1.2opt- Fps: 13.9 Score: 583   MinFps: 6.9 MaxFps: 17

EXP GDC Beast

X1.1opt- Fps: 29.1 Score: 1218 MinFps: 13.9 MaxFps: 43

X1.2opt- Fps: 38.8 Score: 1624 MinFps: 4.6   MaxFps: 62

Thanks, and sorry if my post became unnecessarily long for the question

If those benchmarks are indeed using the eGPU then clearly x1.2Opt is having problems on the PE4C V3.0. Unusual that Gen1 works though.

It's something you may want to discuss with BPlus to organize a replacement adapter. Crosstalk between the expresscard wires could lead to data resends along with such a marked loss of performance.

Hi.

Is it possible with  PE4L V2.1b (ECard version) to get 8Gbps speed with Dell E6430 doing that hack (unlocking flash descriptor) described here:

Or do I need other adapter for that mod to be successful, if even then? 

Edited by viilutaja

11 minutes ago, viilutaja said:

Hi.

Is it possible with  PE4L V2.1b (ECard version) to get 8Gbps speed with Dell E6430 doing that hack (unlocking flash descriptor) described here:

Or do I need other adapter for that mod to be successful, if even then? 

PE4L 2.1b only has a single EC or mPCIe connection. To get the 8Gbps with the E6430 requires an egpu adapter that allows combining the EC+mPCIe or mPCIe+mPCIe like the PE4C V2.1 (now discontinued). That hack might only be possible using an AMD cards since NVIdia cards are sensitive to Gen2 glitching that eGPU adapter would like experience due to the non-soldered interposer cable used.'

@timohour explains how to get the x2.2 link in that thread.

Just now, viilutaja said:

So no other options than to find one from aftermarket (PE4C V2.1)?

Ask BPlus if they can help you out. x2.2 is such a rare possibility that eGPU adapter manufacturers haven't included the capability into their hardware. x1 2.0 is their chosen link width.

There goes.

I recently started an eGPU project with this adaptor (pe4c).Reason I wan't to sell it is because due to my slow laptop (Gen 2 speeds), and other many factors, the results I obtained with the eGPU setup weren't exactly as I expected, so except of further continuing tryng to make it perform better, I started a full pc build which I am reeeeeally satisfied with.

Thing is now I got no need to have the external graphics card adaptor, and I am willing to sell mine for a reasonable price, taking into account that I've only used it a couple of times and that's almost brand new.

btw the connection is via expresscard and the cable is soldered to the adaptor, so those who are looking to use it with pci, this ain't for ya.

Anyone who wants it don't hesitate to PM me 

ps:i can't upload photo, tech inferno only lets me post 1024 kb files

Hi,

I'm thinking of getting egpu for my HP Probook 4440s. My laptop doesn't have any Expresscard slot so the only way to get around this is by using mPCIE slot that is currently hosting a wireless card. However, I don't have enough tool to make a hole at my laptop cover for the flat HDMI cable. I'm thinking of using my SD(MEDIA) Card slot hole to make it happen, but I don't know whether the cable can fit through it or not. Anyone can confirm this?

Thank you in advance.  

1 hour ago, gharimanto said:

PE4C 3.0 still has glitch (nvidia driver not responding.......) even I set gen 1.

Is Anyone get same  ?

A user reported in the EXP GDC thread of a fridge turning on/off causing spikes. Using a different power point being the solution. Maybe worth a try as well as a good quality PSU of adequate capacity to drive your eGPU.

I am also trying E6440 (iGPU model) with EGPU setup (GTX 760) using pe4c 3.0.

By default, it is Gen2 configuration since I updated the BIOS to the latest (double check using GPUz).

Here is the problem:

• It can boot perfectly into Windows 10.
  • But will have the 'eject' device sound; followed by screen flickers to black for 2~5 seconds then back to normal.
  • This happens around a few times before the screen turn black on the external monitor and system hanged.

What I have found (Event Viewer):

• Happen for a few times (usually it is the first one)
    • Display driver nvlddmkm stopped responding and has successfully recovered.
    • The description for Event ID 14 from source nvlddmkm cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.

If the event originated on another computer, the display information had to be saved with the event.

The following information was included with the event: 

\Device\000000a8
      1620(5190) 00000000 00000000

What I have done (but to no avail):

• Reinstalled windows
  • Reinstalled drivers (old, recent, and most recent)

However, it works perfectly fine with Gen1 Port via esetup 1.30 (no glitches for a week, until I turned it off)

Can you advice me on this so that I can use a Gen2 configuration (need sleep and hibernation for work purposes)?

Note: I have tested with pe4c 2.1, same results.

1 hour ago, Trailert said:

I am also trying E6440 (iGPU model) with EGPU setup (GTX 760) using pe4c 3.0.

By default, it is Gen2 configuration since I updated the BIOS to the latest (double check using GPUz).

Here is the problem:

• It can boot perfectly into Windows 10.
  • But will have the 'eject' device sound; followed by screen flickers to black for 2~5 seconds then back to normal.
  • This happens around a few times before the screen turn black on the external monitor and system hanged.

What I have done (but to no avail):

• Reinstalled windows
  • Reinstalled drivers (old, recent, and most recent)

However, it works perfectly fine with Gen1 Port via esetup 1.30 (no glitches for a week, until I turned it off)

Can you advice me on this so that I can use a Gen2 configuration (need sleep and hibernation for work purposes)?

Note: I have tested with pe4c 2.1, same results.

It means that your eGPU adapter + video card + notebook cannot maintain Gen2 speed. 

There is some variation between video cards with some having slight different terminating impedance causing the signal degradation. You may then wish to test another manufacturers video card to see if can get a stable Gen2 signal.

Otherwise you will need to run Gen1 with your current hardware to maintain stability.

8 hours ago, Tech Inferno Fan said:

It means that your eGPU adapter + video card + notebook cannot maintain Gen2 speed. 

There is some variation between video cards with some having slight different terminating impedance causing the signal degradation. You may then wish to test another manufacturers video card to see if can get a stable Gen2 signal.

Otherwise you will need to run Gen1 with your current hardware to maintain stability.

Hi,

Do you mind sharing the brand and model of the GTX770 or GTX970 you used?

I will try to find it if it is cheap. :)

Edited by Trailert