BPlus PE4C V3/V2 discussion

useafo

BTW: Since PE4C 2.1 suffers gen2 inconsistency problems is there any reason why one should not buy PE4C V1.2 which has (at least as it seems to me) soldered cable (and full PCI-E x"16" slot)?

PE4C V1.2 (PCIe x16 Adapter)

Great point. PE4C uses a ribbon cable with contact points similar to a soldered cable. It would also be a better choice than a PE4C V2.1 for best signal integrity.

Thanks,

Nando

weird question to ask but, does Bplus accept warranties and refunds for the PE4c and PE4l???

If within the Paypal buyer protection period then you'd certainly be entitled to a refund for falsely advertised or underperforming gear. After that it's at the discretion of BPlus for which I'm not entirely sure what they do.

Based on the leaderboard, PE4C v2.1 is stable with a GTX 970, right? That's the one I'm planning on getting once a bunch of open-box returns flood the market for cheap because of that VRAM issue.

And it would be fine to use a 150 W DC power jack with the Dell DA-2 power adapter for high-powered cards, right?

Based on the leaderboard, PE4C v2.1 is stable with a GTX 970, right? That's the one I'm planning on getting once a bunch of open-box returns flood the market for cheap because of that VRAM issue.

And it would be fine to use a 150 W DC power jack with the Dell DA-2 power adapter for high-powered cards, right?

It should be but if I were you I'd wait for the soldered cable version that has gen2 speed problems resolved.

I just recently bought a PE4C, and an extra mPCIe->HDMI connector for x2 link. The PE4C itself is functional, but I cannot get the x2 link to work. I have two mPCIe slots in my laptop, and have connected both to the HDMI ports on the PE4C adapter, GPU-Z still reports only a x1 link, Gen 2. I've tried switching the HDMI cables, and reinstalling drivers without success.

Is there something else I need to do for the x2 link? Should my integrated Intel HD 4000 be disabled in BIOS or should it be in a state where the OS will detect it, but not selected as the main GPU?

I have a GTX 970 & Lenovo Y580 w/ unlocked BIOS.

I just recently bought a PE4C, and an extra mPCIe->HDMI connector for x2 link. The PE4C itself is functional, but I cannot get the x2 link to work. I have two mPCIe slots in my laptop, and have connected both to the HDMI ports on the PE4C adapter, GPU-Z still reports only a x1 link, Gen 2. I've tried switching the HDMI cables, and reinstalling drivers without success.

Is there something else I need to do for the x2 link? Should my integrated Intel HD 4000 be disabled in BIOS or should it be in a state where the OS will detect it, but not selected as the main GPU?

I have a GTX 970 & Lenovo Y580 w/ unlocked BIOS.

The Y580 has Intel HM76 Express Chipset Lenovo IdeaPad Y580 [Laptop Specifications Central] which does not support an x2 link according to http://forum.techinferno.com/diy-e-gpu-projects/7969-pre-purchase-faq.html #6.

After the 5 series chipset, Intel has been locking down on the pcie ports and made it much more difficult to establish x2 links. I read something about a leak that would allow an x2 link, but nothing really came up from that event.

The Y580 has Intel HM76 Express Chipset Lenovo IdeaPad Y580 [Laptop Specifications Central] which does not support an x2 link according to http://forum.techinferno.com/diy-e-gpu-projects/7969-pre-purchase-faq.html #6.

After the 5 series chipset, Intel has been locking down on the pcie ports and made it much more difficult to establish x2 links. I read something about a leak that would allow an x2 link, but nothing really came up from that event.

If that's the case, I think a little ME FW modification can offer a solution.

hmmm_zpsb45e3049.png

Sorry for the size, but look at the highlighted section & other options for the mPCIe configs.

BTW: Since PE4C 2.1 suffers gen2 inconsistency problems is there any reason why one should not buy PE4C V1.2 which has (at least as it seems to me) soldered cable (and full PCI-E x"16" slot)?

PE4C V1.2 (PCIe x16 Adapter)

The PE4C V1.2 adapter comes with 10cm, 30cm, & 60cm cables; they are kind of like the laptop hard-drive cable and seem very fragile and are not shielded.

I had a hard time getting my eGPU to connect using the 60cm cable (could have been length or damaged by me) and when I switched to the 30cm the eGPU connects every time.

However, I touched the monitor and static electricity caused the eGPU driver to crash AND when I plug in a USB the eGPU driver crashes as soon as the plug comes in contact with the laptop. MarshallR@ASUS suggested that I try to shield the cable with aluminum foil and use the shortest one possible.

I am now looking for an upgrade for the cable itself that is shielded or more robust. Any suggestions?

The PE4C V1.2 adapter comes with 10cm, 30cm, & 60cm cables; they are kind of like the laptop hard-drive cable and seem very fragile and are not shielded.

I had a hard time getting my eGPU to connect using the 60cm cable (could have been length or damaged by me) and when I switched to the 30cm the eGPU connects every time.

However, I touched the monitor and static electricity caused the eGPU driver to crash AND when I plug in a USB the eGPU driver crashes as soon as the plug comes in contact with the laptop. MarshallR@ASUS suggested that I try to shield the cable with aluminum foil and use the shortest one possible.

I am now looking for an upgrade for the cable itself that is shielded or more robust. Any suggestions?

You could wait for a new vrsion of PE4C with signal stability (probably soldered cable)

I just recently bought a PE4C, and an extra mPCIe->HDMI connector for x2 link. The PE4C itself is functional, but I cannot get the x2 link to work. I have two mPCIe slots in my laptop, and have connected both to the HDMI ports on the PE4C adapter, GPU-Z still reports only a x1 link, Gen 2. I've tried switching the HDMI cables, and reinstalling drivers without success. Is there something else I need to do for the x2 link? Should my integrated Intel HD 4000 be disabled in BIOS or should it be in a state where the OS will detect it, but not selected as the main GPU? I have a GTX 970 & Lenovo Y580 w/ unlocked BIOS.
I've had a similar issue to you, not sure how to deal with it. I got a PE4C 2.1 and a GTX 660. I successfully used DIY eGPU setup to perform PCI compaction and get the required 256MB of PCI address space, and installed the drivers. The first time, the eGPU worked after a few restarts and fiddling around, and then I plugged in a second monitor, and the eGPU shut down. Now, the eGPU will never start, but it is still detected by DIY eGPU setup. The drivers are able to detect the card, and I don't get the Error 12 in Device Manager, it even says "the driver is working normally" but nothing shows up, not even after trying to redetect displays. I noticed that sometimes, when trying to install the driver through the NVidia installer, the installer just hangs, it looks like the driver is never able to start. Same issue after cleaning up with DDU, and even a clean install of Windows. I suspect the cable is too long and causing these issues. I'll ask BPlus support for a shorter cable.

• 2 weeks later...

I just bought a PE4C 2.1 with the Expresscard cable. I'm having problems getting my Lenovo X220 to recognize it. I followed the directions in the eGPU projects that have been done with X220s also.

I have the latest BIOS with 2 version numbers attached v1.39 and v1.24.

I'm using a PC PSU and have a GeForce GT440 card and a GTX570 (which got COOKED because it overheated - VERY VERY HOT - pinging and crackling and a really BAD smell - I assume its now dead, but until I can get the eGPU system working I cant tell for sure) I'm using the 4pin 12v plug with a jumper between the Green wire and a Black ground wire in the 24pin block to turn on the PSU (I know this is a very pikey way of doing things, but its just until I can make sure the system works, then I'll sort out a good PSU set up.

When using the 24pin block plug the PE4C unit wouldn't light up, which is why I bodged the 24pin block and used the 4pin block for 12v power.

I followed the direction of powering up the eGPU (the 2 green LED's lit up and GFX card fan spinning away happily, at least it is on the GT440, then powering up the X220 and then plugging in the EC. The X220 failed to recognize the eGPU at all.

Oh yes, I have enabled the Expresscard in the BIOS.

Can anyone offer me any advice to troubleshoot this project?

Cheers, IFFY

I just bought a PE4C 2.1 with the Expresscard cable. I'm having problems getting my Lenovo X220 to recognize it. I followed the directions in the eGPU projects that have been done with X220s also.

I have the latest BIOS with 2 version numbers attached v1.39 and v1.24.

I'm using a PC PSU and have a GeForce GT440 card and a GTX570 (which got COOKED because it overheated - VERY VERY HOT - pinging and crackling and a really BAD smell - I assume its now dead, but until I can get the eGPU system working I cant tell for sure) I'm using the 4pin 12v plug with a jumper between the Green wire and a Black ground wire in the 24pin block to turn on the PSU (I know this is a very pikey way of doing things, but its just until I can make sure the system works, then I'll sort out a good PSU set up.

When using the 24pin block plug the PE4C unit wouldn't light up, which is why I bodged the 24pin block and used the 4pin block for 12v power.

I followed the direction of powering up the eGPU (the 2 green LED's lit up and GFX card fan spinning away happily, at least it is on the GT440, then powering up the X220 and then plugging in the EC. The X220 failed to recognize the eGPU at all.

Oh yes, I have enabled the Expresscard in the BIOS.

Can anyone offer me any advice to troubleshoot this project?

Cheers, IFFY

Test on another system, eg: Dell, with an expresscard slot. If still not recognized then I'll add that hotplugging a test PE4C-EC060 2.1 with Dell DA-2 results in (1) one unit dying completely and (2) second unit having it's power management component dying so now is always on. This, along with the Gen2 signalling issues on some systems, have been presented to BPlus for fixing, which they are contemplating. I'd suggest using a PE4L 2.1b + ATX PSU for the time being.

Updated received from BPlus regarding soldered cable PE4C as well as more durable on/off power circuitry.

Hi Nando,

Thank you for your advice.

We are work on the soldered cable and still test on it, we might have some solution coming soon.

For the power on-off, this need to discuss with our engineering team cause it will affect PE4C design.

Your suggest is really appreciate, please kindly to sure your thought to us.

Any advice feel free to let me know

Best Regards,

Lain @ BPlus

----

Hi Gents,

Any headway on the soldered cable version of PE4C 2.1. I'll add also that the second PE4C 2.1 that was sent is now completely unresponsive after a few hotplugging attempts.

There seems to be some weakness in the power on-off design that sees it fail when doing that. Another users reporting theirs doing the same at http://forum.techinferno.com/enclosures-adapters/7941-bplus-pe4c-2-x-discussion-7.html#post126398

You may recall my first PE4C 2.1 blew a component relating to power on/off and now is always on.

May I suggest you address the power on-off weakness when hotplugging along with Gen2 stability in the subsequent revision?

Thanks,

Nando

Test on another system, eg: Dell, with an expresscard slot. If still not recognized then I'll add that hotplugging a test PE4C-EC060 2.1 with Dell DA-2 results in (1) one unit dying completely and (2) second unit having it's power management component dying so now is always on. This, along with the Gen2 signalling issues on some systems, have been presented to BPlus for fixing, which they are contemplating. I'd suggest using a PE4L 2.1b + ATX PSU for the time being.

I emailed BPlus support and am waiting for a reply. But meanwhile, is there and kind person in reasonable driving distance of Preston, VIC, AUS, that could let me plug in my eGPU unit to your laptop with Expresscard slot? I know is a big ask, but it would help the diagnosis out.

Also, I know it isnt a non functioning Expresscard port on my Lenovo X220 as the Card Reader Expresscard that came with the laptop from new is recognized. So odds are its the PE4C- 2.1a system i have that isnt working.

People I have a problem, please help!

My eGPU is a PE4C V 2.1, the first time I hooked it in the notebook he worked normally, but after turning it off and back on again it does not boot! The red LED stays on instead of green. What is it???? Thank you!

• 2 weeks later...

Just a bit of an update. I got the system working now. One of the problems I had was using the ATX power supply as the eGPU system boots at the same time as the laptop. I borrowed the PSU from my 12v TV and luckily it has just enough power to run the eGPU using my GT440 card. I cleaned off any installed drivers and started again. its now working.

But one issue is that if I forget to shut down the laptop before I turn off the eGPU it all goes pearshaped and requires a total driver removal and then re-install. (Actually I just did a rollback to clean up the drivers as I found that i was having issues and was too lazy to properly trouble shoot it. But I cant keep using system restore all the time, its a bit pikey.)

However when i get round to buying another powerful card I'll need to modify an ATX PSU to power up when I want it to. The paper clip across the green and black wires just screams Accident-waiting-to-happen

• 3 weeks later...
Any news regarding updated BPlus adapter without gen2 problems? I'd very much appreciate having it before GTA V is released :).

Requested an update. Looks like they are still working on it:

Date: Fri, Apr 10, 2015 at 7:31 PM

Subject: RE: RE: RE: RE: PE4C 2.x updated with soldered cable option?

To: Nando

Hi Nando,

We are still testing any update information will let you know.

Thank you for asking

Best Regards,

Lain

• 3 weeks later...