BPlus PE4C V3/V2 discussion

useafo

Assuming the card doesn't require over 200W, is the XBOX360 PSU still a viable option for powering the PE4C? Or is that an old suggestion? Is the DA-2 preferred? I know some EXP GDC people are having some trouble with the DA-2 voltage fluctuations.

Best solution is still an ATX PSU?

I think it's still viable and I agree with you that the DA-2 troubles I read about make the Xbox360 PSU still very interesting.

Dear all,

Apologies for my ignorance :23_002:, I still haven't tried out something like this yet, I have to upgrade ram from 4gb to 16gb (TOLUD is 9FA00000 - FEAFFFFF), change hdd with ssd, then buy the GPU, PSU and PE4C v2.1 ( new philips monitor maybe).

I still have to wait until I graduate. I'm also not sure yet whether my laptop has bios whitelist because it's lenovo.

I was talking about the Bus interface but still not sure. Where you talking about the number of lanes or links? So to clear things out, can the PE4C v2.1 can do PCIE 2.0 x16

or only 2.0 x1?????? YOU CAN SLAP ME IN THE FACE IF I'M WRONG:smile:

Yes, I know that this is a forum dedicated to versions 2.x, and this is a question about 1.0 and 1.1. But I don't see any place more appropriate to ask, and I'm a bit desparate.

I attach to this post the schematic of Pe4C v1.2. Please look at jumper TP5.

My problem is that my eGPU card is just not being recognized, at all. I can't imagine any other problem than insufficient power. (The card does not appear in the Device manager, no matter what I do).

Is it possible that shorting this TP5 jumper will solve my problems??? (because it will deliver 3.3v to the card?)

I see nothing anywhere in any documentatioin about why/when one might use the jumper, but perhaps this is the reason it's there?

I really have no experience with hardware and I don't want to fry anything -- sO i'd like to ask people if 1) there's a chance that shorting this jumper will get the power i need to my card? and 2) can I try it with impunity? or is likely/possible that I'll fry my card if I do.

Set up ois a Lenovo T420, Asus GeForce 760, PE4C-PM3N, pulse 700W power supply

thanks!

PM3N_schemaitc ver12.pdf

SORRY FOR BAD ENGLISH :)

Yes! Their cards do perform very well because mostly,The people that are doing this setup is that the CPU of their laptops are very good but the graphics card of their laptop are weak. The graphics card however will not perform and unleash it's full potential but it gives you 60%-80% of their maximum performance, especially if you have an integrated intel hd installed in your laptop ( AS WHAT Tech Inferno Fan said for compression) and you're adapter and port is capable of delivering at Gen2 or higher speeds.

The PE4C is capabale of <strike>X16</strike> x1 2.0.

It is very important to note that you must have a very strong mobile CPU to run a beast Graphics card.

If you are not using it in eGPU, just simply turn it off in laptop. (by ejecting it in devices,maybe) The graphics card(HD 6970) however will lower its power consumption when in idle for 141watts LOL.

yes and in my case i am doing a low power desktop with a AMD APU10-7800, so while it is an ok onboard graphics and i can accept a x16 pcie card on my mini ITX board, my lower power requirements require me to use an egpu if i want to play games so im not hogging wattages just browsing the web. I think few people have my use case as most would use an egpu for a laptop. I have the pe4c with the pcie x16 desktop card adapter and not the expresscard or minipcie card adapter.

Has anybody noticed the PM4N linked off the PE4C V2.1 page that's socketted on the mPCIe end? No mention of Gen2 compliance.

I previously tested a PE4H 2.4 finding it could run a Gen2 link using the PCIEMMB cable, but only with an AMD card. PE4C V2.1 having better noise isolation so together with a PM4N is the socketted solution that's got the best chance of being Gen2 capable with NVidia too. Need someone to test.

PM4N: Contact Sales
PM4N
(mPCI-e to mini HDMI) x1
Y19-H09-095
(mini HDMI to HDMI Cable 95cm) x1
Screw x2

Hallo

got a PE4C V2.1 today

But something weird. The PERST and CLKREQ Led are not turning red ( on ) when I am not in disable mode. First time I set it to Mode Nr. 2, the Led turn on, but after I try to set it Mode Nr. 3, then back to Nr.2 again, then the red led are not turning on again

Is this a faulty..?

thanks

Hallo

got a PE4C V2.1 today

But something weird. The PERST and CLKREQ Led are not turning red ( on ) when I am not in disable mode. First time I set it to Mode Nr. 2, the Led turn on, but after I try to set it Mode Nr. 3, then back to Nr.2 again, then the red led are not turning on again

Is this a faulty..?

thanks

In the last week, I hotplugged my PE4C V2.1 into the EC slot and found it had damaged some PE4C V2.1 circuitry such that the Dell DA-2 auto power on functionality no longer works. Now the DA-2 would *always* be on, regardless if the machine was on or not. That was traced to a suspected blown switch-on transistor 2N7002 (Q2). CLKREQ# is also controlled by a 2N7002 transistor so it may very well be blown for you too.

In the last week, I hotplugged my PE4C V2.1 into the EC slot and found it had damaged some PE4C V2.1 circuitry such that the Dell DA-2 auto power on functionality no longer works. Now the DA-2 would *always* be on, regardless if the machine was on or not. That was traced to a suspected blown switch-on transistor 2N7002 (Q2). CLKREQ# is also controlled by a 2N7002 transistor so it may very well be blown for you too.

Hallo Nando4

Thanks for reply.

I just make some experience. The red led for CLKREQ will turn on if I switch from disable to Nr. 2 ( turning on just few seconds, then the light turn off again ). Is this a normal..? Is that led supposed to turn on all the time if the switch in position 2 or 3..?

And how about the led for PERST..? It doesn not turn on at all

By the way, I try this experiment without any GPU attached since my new GPU still on delivery. Or is that possible, the both LED will turn on if I already attached the GPU on the adapter..?

Thanks for your help

Hallo Nando4

Thanks for reply.

I just make some experience. The red led for CLKREQ will turn on if I switch from disable to Nr. 2 ( turning on just few seconds, then the light turn off again ). Is this a normal..? Is that led supposed to turn on all the time if the switch in position 2 or 3..?

And how about the led for PERST..? It doesn not turn on at all

By the way, I try this experiment without any GPU attached since my new GPU still on delivery. Or is that possible, the both LED will turn on if I already attached the GPU on the adapter..?

Thanks for your help

The LED will switch on for the time delay you've set it to. Need to power off and then on the PE4C V2.1 to restart the timeout counter.

• Thumbs Up 1

The LED will switch on for the time delay you've set it to. Need to power off and then on the PE4C V2.1 to restart the timeout counter.

Hallo Nando4

Thanks, already managed it to work again

By the way, what is actually CLKREQ..? I read it from another egpu forum v2.0, and someone tell, that it is used if a additional external clock needed. But for what exactly..?

thanks

• 4 weeks later...

Currently my Dell E6330 crashes with random BSODs with Gen2 using the PE4C 2.1a/EC100C and my GTX460:

• Desktop/2D is stable, but on 3D it crashes pretty fast.
  • The PSU is strong enough, I even connected two to be sure wink.png.pagespeed.ce.SNEods9ahz.png
  • GPU-Z toggles between x1.1 an x1.2 on render test.
  • With Gen1 via Setup 1.30 everything works properly.
  • Solution is stable on Dell E6510 (PM55/Arrandale) with x1.1

It was an issue of the PE4C 2.1a. I did a test with a PE4L 2.1b / EC100A (cable lenght 100cm) and everything was fine with Gen2 link.

Currently my Dell E6330 crashes with random BSODs with Gen2 using the PE4C 2.1a/EC100C and my GTX460:

• The PSU is strong enough, I even connected two to be sure wink.png.pagespeed.ce.SNEods9ahz.png

It was an issue of the PE4C 2.1a. I did a test with a PE4L 2.1b / EC100A (cable lenght 100cm) and everything was fine with Gen2 link.

I concur. It does look like the soldered end PE4L 2.1b is still the best one to provide the cleanest Gen2 signal. Only a few days ago I asked BPlus to consider creating a variant of the PE4C with soldered cable. That way can get best signal integrity along with the other goodies that PE4C brings over the PE4L - stable x16 slot on a base, Dell DA-2 connectivity, dual delay switches..

• Thumbs Up 1

Got a R9 270 today and can confirm a stable Gen2 Link with PE4C 2.1a/EC100C. Perhaps at least one endpoint has to support PCIe 3.X to have enough headroom.

• fail@Gen2: PE4C 2.1a (PCIe 2.X) + GTX460 (PCIe 2.X)
  • success@Gen2: PE4L 2.1b (PCIe 3.X) + GTX460 (PCIe 2.X)
  • success@Gen2: PE4C 2.1a (PCIe 2.X) + R9 270 (PCIe 3.X)

Emailed to BPlus requesting a PE4C 2.x with soldered cable option. They're solution is to provide a free 50cm (shorter) cable to affected users. I'm thinking a better fix for affected users would be to provide a PE4L 2.1b (??). See discussion below:

REQ: PE4C 2.x updated with soldered cable option?

Just had a user report PE4L 2.1b working at Gen2 speed whereas PE4C 2.1 failed:

http://forum.techinferno.com/enclosures-adapters/7941-bplus-pe4c-2-x-discussion-5.html#post118021

EXP GDC also having problems with Gen2 signalling.

This points to a soldered cable still giving the cleanest Gen2 signal. PE4L 2.1 can provide that but it lacks the niceties of the PE4C such as a x16 slot, 2 CLK delay jumpers, 220W DA-2 AC adapter connectors.

SO, would you consider adding a variation of the PE4C V2.x with soldered cable? That variation could too offer Gen3 compliance, just like the PE4L 2.1.

What do you think?

---

Gents. Here is another user who confirmed that a PE4L 2.1b has no Gen2 signalling issues, yet a PE4C 2.1 does.

http://forum.techinferno.com/enclosures-adapters/7941-bplus-pe4c-2-x-discussion-4.html#post116831

Yet again, I ask for you to consider making a PE4C variant with a soldered cable to give best possible Gen2 signal.

Looking forward to your comments,

Nando

To which BPlus replied today with:

After discuss we think the length change to 50cm will be reach for GEN2, please kindly to give me customer contact inform I will send the free sample for he/she test.

Also, do you need 50cm sample for test?

• Thumbs Up 1

I ordered my PE4C just because of the goodies you've mentioned above:

... stable x16 slot on a base, Dell DA-2 connectivity, dual delay switches..
Emailed to BPlus requesting a PE4C 2.x with soldered cable option. They're solution is to provide a free 50cm (shorter) cable to affected users. I'm thinking a better fix for affected users would be to provide a PE4L 2.1b (??).

The option to have a soldered PE4C would be great. For now I can live with the shorter variant... but I'll have to reorganize my desk ;)

I'll send you my contact details via pm as requested by bplus. Thank you for your great commitment to the eGPU community :)

Emailed to BPlus requesting a PE4C 2.x with soldered cable option. They're solution is to provide a free 50cm (shorter) cable to affected users. I'm thinking a better fix for affected users would be to provide a PE4L 2.1b (??). See discussion below:

To which BPlus replied today with:

just consider of buying the eGPU, i have asus g73sw with gtx 460m on it, and i want to use my eGPU with the mPCIe port, it look's that PE4L v2.1 support up to gen3, is it true? is anyone had already done gen3 with this model? if comparing PE4L v2.1 vs PE4C v2.1, which one is recommended? thanks

Emailed to BPlus requesting a PE4C 2.x with soldered cable option. They're solution is to provide a free 50cm (shorter) cable to affected users.

Got the EC060C today. Unfortunately the crashes still occur with a GTX460@gen2.

Today I've got a ZOTAC GeForce GTX 670 AMP! Edition, which will be my final card for now.

This are my summarized test results:

• success@Gen1: PE4C 2.1a (PCIe 2.X) + EVGA GeForce GTX 460 FPB (PCIe 2.X)
  • fail@Gen2: PE4C 2.1a (PCIe 2.X) + EVGA GeForce GTX 460 FPB (PCIe 2.X)
  • success@Gen2: PE4L 2.1b (PCIe 3.X) + EVGA GeForce GTX 460 FPB (PCIe 2.X)
  • success@Gen2: PE4C 2.1a (PCIe 2.X) + no name AMD R9 270 (PCIe 3.X)

• success@Gen2: PE4C 2.1a (PCIe 3.X) + ZOTAC GeForce GTX 670 AMP! Edition (PCIe 3.X)

I'd appreciate if you could test the shorter cable with NVidia cards that had problems with signal integrity and write here whether it helped or not... I'm currently thinking about buying PE4C 2.1 (already have Dell power brick) and ditching EXP GDC beast because of gen2 stability problems...

I'd appreciate if you could test the shorter cable with NVidia cards that had problems with signal integrity and write here whether it helped or not... I'm currently thinking about buying PE4C 2.1 (already have Dell power brick) and ditching EXP GDC beast because of gen2 stability problems...

At least for me the shorter cable didn't make a difference: EVGA GeForce GTX 460 FPB (PCIe 2.X).

In a couple of days/week a friend will get a PE4C 2.1 for his GTX 560... I will update you as soon as I have more information.

My experience is as follows:

PE4L 2.1 is better than PE4C 2.1 which is better than EXP GDC V6. I'm assuming EXP GDC Beast is pretty much going to have same signal integrity as the V6 product.

On my Dell E6440, the EXP GDC V6 would intermittently glitch when using a EXP GDC V6 but work fine with PE4C and PE4L. Previously I tested a PE4L 2.1 on a 2570P and Dell E6230. Both ran Gen2 links without problems.

Unfortunately BPlus have yet to commit to creating a soldered cable version of the PE4C so some nice features are lost of getting a PE4L 2.1b instead. Eg: x16 slot, dual-delay timers, Dell DA-2 PSU connectivity, power on/off.

Based on the tests we have, we can say that PE4C 2.1 isn't capable of running some Nvidia's GPUs at Gen2, while it is with AMD graphics cards.

I found that the AMD driver appears to have some fault tolerance for dirty Gen2 signalling. It won't BSOD but instead keeps the link active with some performance loss. I'm assuming it's doing retransmissions on the physical layer to achieve that.

Looks like BPlus will be addressing the Gen2 signalling issue on the PE4C 2.1 sometime after Chinese new year. Not sure what their plan is. My recommendation is for a soldered cable version like the PE4L 2.1b. Adding connectors seemingly decreasing electrical signal reliability.

---------- Forwarded message ----------

Date: Thu, 29 Jan 2015 10:27:34 +0800

Subject: RE: RE: RE: RE: PE4C 2.x updated with soldered cable option?

To: Nando

Cc: [email protected]

Hi Nando,

Thank you for your feedback.

Our support team have plane to solve this problem but Chinese New Year is close, all of the PCB factory have close.

I will back to you for the update inform.

Your support is really helpful to us.

Best Regards,